Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I know. Life is good for thoses with SEL cash otherwise you get a Vulcan, clothe seats and a spare tire and the pat on the back.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Tru...I was at the yard recently and I saw this a 2002 SEL with everything. 204,000 miles and I was thinking man this must have been nice. But to each his own.
Wow, for 204k the interior looks pretty clean. At least the picture makes it look clean. You don't see wood grain too often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yeah that was the first time that I have ever seen a loaded SEL with the full premier 6 piece wood grain package. Usally just 4 or 5 but never 6. And I have had over 50 yard visits. I only had time to grab the shift knob though. The bezel and door pieces were still good. The steering wheel was cracked from wear in a few places. But it was really nice and clean.
Moonroof, DRL with sunload sensor, 04+ adjustable pedals on the 02! and even the passenger seat was power. Nice. I may have to do seat surgery on Wednesday morning and get me a power base passenger :). To bad its an 02 or I would grab the CJB. If I had a garage I would have bought the car. The goodies are worth more than the car if in good condition.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The leather in that car looks to be in good shape for the mileage.

Ordered all the parts I'll need to change the oil pan gasket this morning.

Except for oil, that is. :lol2:

Still, got the y pipe gaskets, oil pan gasket, oil filter, oil pan drain plug gasket, and I ordered new serpentine belts for good measure. Went with the Gatorback belts based on some recommendations I'd seen on here. My WP belt looks rough, and the main serpentine belt is pretty dirty.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Gatorback rocks! I ordered one from Summit but had to send it back cuz it wouldn't fit with the new alt :-(.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, now you all can see why I pulled the woodgrain.

Sable Platinum shifter surround. Actual metal. The best part? It locks in and sits flush!

But it clashes with the woodgrain, so I put my stock one back in until I can happen upon, trade for, or buy a Sable Platinum ICP bezel.

I love it.

Also, this was more secret: Since my Mach amp died, I found a nice set of JBL components on eBay from a '96 Sable and ordered them. Sub still has the full top cover, is in good shape. The only issue is that I only have the ends of the harness, not the wiring in-between. But they left enough that it won't be hard to reconnect them.

That being said, it sounds like total crap without the sub. Turn your bass down to full negative and that's what I've got right now. But I'll get it installed soon.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Also, the radio self test just says "MACH". I didn't expect it to say JBL, but it would have been nice.

Another item of note is that the AM/FM reception board on the JBL is different. Not just in color, it also says "Lux radio board" or something like that. Capacitor location and quantity is different. I will say I'm picking up stations that I suspect are from Phoenix now...

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Looks great, I put a hole in shifter surround for a red button. I really think you get this sticker though:

2_133_s.jpg

Why not right?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought about it. But I already have two stickers on the rear window, and that one seems a bit ricey. Plus, I have an extra 24V/DOHC badge on the decklid.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, I didn't try it too much with the stock nor the Mach unit, but either the radio on the JBL system is far superior, or the Taurus has one of the finest antenna systems I've ever seen in a car. I can pick up stations (in stereo!) from the west side of Tucson and from all areas of Phoenix in clarity. That's even more surprising because A: There are several mountain ranges in the way. B: That's more than 140 miles away on the Tucson station, and 350 miles on the Phoenix and Chandler stations.

I'd have to stick one of the other ones back in to see if it's really caused by the JBL unit, but other radios I've tried in other Fords with fixed mast antennas don't receive radio that well.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
You should paint that icp bezel a nice glossy black (do a good job). I think that would look pretty cool.

Also do an EATC swap!!

You should have bought the oil pan gasket from me!! I have a BRAND new one!!

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
It's hard to beat a full 1/4 wave antenna. Modern cars use those teeny tiny antennas. Impossible to get as good of reception with less metal to grab signals.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, an update. The JBL unit does improve radio reception greatly. It's possible it's just a '96 thing, and Ford cheapened the RCU's in later years, but at the moment that looks like it's a benefit of having the JBL unit. That being said, I put the Mach unit back together properly, put it back in the car, and now all four channels work fine again.

Well, at least I get to enjoy nice sound again until I can get the harness on the sub remade. Once I can test the JBL I'll decide what to do.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Okay, I see it's been a while since I posted anything here.

So far, seems like the oil pan gasket has held up fine. Oil smell continues to diminish (don't think I've smelt anything in the last few hundred miles). Trans pan is clean! Well, cleanish. But it's as clean as it was right after it was changed.

Overall, engine starts and runs smoother with the 5W-30.

I plan on sealing what looks to be a crack in the UIM today. If that doesn't fix the vacuum leaks (LTFT's in the -10%+ range), then LIM/UIM gaskets will be the next to change.

Also, I'll be taking it by the dealership today to try and schedule the throttle cable recall service.

I keep toying with the idea of putting Centennial emblems on it, but my mood varies. Plus, they're expensive!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Holly's AC clutch plate is worn, and the clutch is probably on it's way out. :(

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Wow, I've been relegated to Page 3...time to update!

Since I last posted here, I've had the transmission flushed, and the battery replaced. I've also done the full JBL mod.

And replaced the rear drum brakes.

I just replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets yesterday, and I've seen a big improvement in the car. Power delivery is smoother, the AC compressor no longer feels like it's trying to kill the car, and it doesn't seem to have a stumble at idle with the AC on.

The LIM gaskets were virtually all flat after 134,000 miles, and the upper gaskets were about half the height of the new ones, which may have contributed to the issues. -_-

Right now, I have a list of things that need to be done.

1. Replace the coolant tank cap with the updated Ford design (current cap is original, older flawed design).
2. Install upgraded headlight harness.
3. Take car to Ford for The Works service, try to have them determine where the car is still leaking oil (crankshaft, main seal, oil pan), and have them replace the oil drain plug.
4. Install Christmas goodies coming for the car (one item will be the all-weather custom fit Ford floor mats for the front).
5. Replace all six spark plugs with Motorcraft plugs, throw the Autolites in the trash, and replace the back three wires.
6. Replace front sway bar end-links. (one is confirmed bad, might as well change both).
7. Replace rear struts and coils.

Those are the currently planned upgrades (more or less in that order).

There is also a pending 2014 styling refresh, the details of which I'm discussing with my official Design Committee. I'm still working on acquiring the necessary parts for said refresh. Details are classified at this time, but needless to say I won't be entering into any COTM contests until it's done. :lol2:

41 - 60 of 215 Posts