Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
And another suspension tidbit...... Rockauto is starting to make listings for rear ball joints for the wagon but just in case you need new balljoints and you don't see it, the front balljoints are the same as the rear in a wagon.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
And another suspension tidbit...... Rockauto is starting to make listings for rear ball joints for the wagon but just in case you need new balljoints and you don't see it, the front balljoints are the same as the rear in a wagon.
At least MOOG rear for wagons is different. Same size but different boot. The rear boot is not attached to the BJ but just squeezes in there. I did one last Fall. The OEM had failed boot rubber, just like the fronts. Other rear was still there so I pumped some grease in it with a grease needle. Just buying time.

-chart-
ps The MOOG rear is ~$6 cheaper than the front.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Why does the wagon have a different listed part for rear ABS sensors? I would think should be the same...there must be a reason obviously, but wondering if I could use some from a sedan?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok I guess that could be why, but then why wouldn't they just write disc and drum as opposed to sedan and wagon? Also they look pretty similar in the pictures

·
Registered
318 Posts
I own a 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon (SES). I bought it used in 2008 with 90k miles on it and it now has 145k miles! This is one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. My first weekend proves that. When I got it home, owner said I could keep it for the weekend, it sputtered up the hill....CEL came on. I went inside and read the documents he provided, from about 30k to 90k this car only had brakes (his wife went through them yearly!) and oil changes. That's it!

Steering fluid...black
Brake fluid...pretty clean
Oil...pretty clean
ATF...black
Original interior air filter, fuel filter, coils, spark plugs....

I diagnosed the CEL as a bad coil on #2 and bought the car the following Monday. After fluid changes, filter changes and all the coils/plugs the car has been largely maintenance free. The only major work we had done was the fuel pump and the A/C. I'm starting to look at changing out the old rubber bushings now...but Ford did not make that easy on the Taurus after 98 it seems (welded sway bar bushings!).

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Example of what wagons are for. :lol2:

-chart-
Aside from the comfort, economy of use, and ease of maintenance this is one reason I just can't trade for another vehicle. I don't want a gussied-up truck, I want a car that can do occasional yeuman's duty without complaint. I don't know of any auto makers making them any longer.

Sure couldn't have done this in my dad's 1950s Country Sedans. Those rear windows opened to horizontal and that was it.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Aside from the comfort, economy of use, and ease of maintenance this is one reason I just can't trade for another vehicle. I don't want a gussied-up truck, I want a car that can do occasional yeuman's duty without complaint. I don't know of any auto makers making them any longer.

Sure couldn't have done this in my dad's 1950s Country Sedans. Those rear windows opened to horizontal and that was it.
My 72 Colony Park had electric window that rolled down or, the door could open to the side, or hinge down. Very useful. What was missing was rear springs that could haul any weight. Super heavy duty springs over shocks let me tow and haul. And I drug the license plate off in a parking lot in NC one time even with the boost springs. And it handled like a big boat. But the 429 could pull anything, anywhere with no effort. U-Haul and hitch clamped to the bumper. Anyone old enough to remember bumper hitches?

-chart-

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
My 72 Colony Park had electric window that rolled down or, the door could open to the side, or hinge down. Very useful. What was missing was rear springs that could haul any weight. Super heavy duty springs over shocks let me tow and haul. And I drug the license plate off in a parking lot in NC one time even with the boost springs. And it handled like a big boat. But the 429 could pull anything, anywhere with no effort. U-Haul and hitch clamped to the bumper. Anyone old enough to remember bumper hitches?

-chart-
Oh, hell yeah. I remember bumper jacks, too. I also remember seeing pavement beneath the engine, when one raised the hood ~

·
Registered
75 Posts
I owned a 1993 Wagon until September 2009. Bought it for a good price, never needed a lot of maintenance, and had a really good run. But at that time the AC had failed - twice - and it was going to be too costly to repair it. I still remember seeing the embers that flew from under the hood, last time it failed. Makes quite an impression at 70 MPH on a pitch dark highway.

Traded it in for a decent price for the 2006 SE I'm driving now. I wish I had checked those rear seats. Damn I miss folding seats!

The wagon loaded everything from large printers to a full-size refrigerator, when we moved in 2005. Heck of a workaholic.

For a couple of years I'd still see it every now and then, back in the city I sold it. The locals can deal with the heat better than I can. Dealership didn't even bother to remove the antenna I mounted on the roof; and I guess the next owner didn't mind. Easily recognizable. But that Bull seems to have moved on by now; haven't seen it in ages... :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first wagon was a white 1986 Taurus gl that I received for free in 1996. It was parked behind my boss's house, and he offered to give it to me if I can get it out of there. Couple hours change the alternator and I drove that thing out of there with no problems. The first thing I did was go to a junkyard to find rear doors to replace the originals which were rusting really bad. The replacement doors cost fifty dollars each, complete, and were dark blue. I didn't mind the collor difference because they had matching interior panels. It actually did look kind of cool, driving an all white wagon with just rear blue doors. A Few months later I had to replace the motor mounts and transmission mount, and other than basic maintenance, I really didn't do anything else major to it. I had tons of fun with that car, especially the Jersey Shore. It actually helped me pick up girls back then , no lie. I remember one time I was driving down the Boulevard late at night because I was a designated driver and a group of girls that were walking start screaming hey you're missing your rear doors. Well the next thing you know I was opening up the rear jump seats and everybody was piling in and we went to find some other place to continue partying . It was a good night. I drove that thing until 2003 when the boddy (rockers) was too badly rusted to pass inspection. So then I purchased my 91 Sable LS wagon . That's able I drove until the frame under the engine rusted and it wouldn't pass inspection about six years ago. It's been parked since and I got to get it fixed soon if I can afford it or find somebody to help, darnit.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Example of what wagons are for. :lol2:

-chart-
Nother day nother day of work for this old coot. Chipper vac was stored for at least 5 years. Run out of gas, plug pulled and cylinder oiled a bit, plug left loose. Cleaned the plug, put in some gas, started on the second pull and when it burned all the oil off, ran like new. Donating to school band trip garage sale. :) 2 Grandsons in HS band.

And not seen, shop vac, chain saw, carpet shampooer, and misc tools. Too hot to work after noon. Forecast 91.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Hello again people! Been a couple of months. I bet most of y'all enjoyed the break from my posts. :D

Three weeks ago, I had the 20+ year-old window tinting removed/scraped/steamed from the windows and had all-new tint applied. (It could have been older, don't know...I've owned the car 20 years in December and it was on there when I bought it. Bubbled and ripped all to hell, looked terrible.) Went with the maximum allowed under Florida law, except for the front doors. I have gobs of respect for the cops, and wouldn't want one to approach my car for some reason and not be able to see inside it. I did a 50% light-reduction up front (65% allowed, but that's hard to see into without being backlit); 85% reduction on the back doors, back windows and backlight; same with the 6" strip across the top of the windshield. Old Faithful's starting to look better and better.

Next up, a full body-shop paint job at Galloway Ford (planning for Jan./Feb. 2018). The manager there has taken a shine to the car, and will give me a very competitive price for the whole job - spot-rust removal, filling a few gouges, full masking and the whole nine yards. This time, though, I'm going for a 1960s paint job...enamel that doesn't need a clear-coat, instead of that execrable 1980s base-coat-and-clear-coat combination. Right now, the car looks like it has the mange what with the clearcoat flaking off all over the car. I'll happily wax the car every so often, as I did with my 1981 Fairmont and the '65 Ambassador. It just looks BETTER.

P.S. - I threw in a pic of what probably is the only 1990 Taurus wagon passenger front power seat in existence. I had to jump through some hoops to make that work, along with a late-'80s or early-'90s donor T'bird in the right color and a good friend visiting from New Hampshire back in January. (Thanks for the help, Eddie!) (Also, thanks to Nick Myers and Jeff May for the power-seat rack they got me from a Crown Vic or somesuch. The rack was the wrong size, but the motors worked whereas my local donor T'bird's motors didn't.) Got THAT all put together back in June. I'm not handicapped, but I am kinda crippled so it had to wait for when I had a good couple of days to put things all together! :)

Hope the pics come through ~

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Here are the photos that I added to my earlier post, which would not attach. No clue why. Hope they finally get through, this time...

BTW, yes those are new Michelins on the Taurus. Yes, we still own a Ford Tempo...a little 4-banger s**tbox to replace our V6 hotrod that some butthead wrecked, rear-ending it at 35mph at a red light. (My son who was driving it is OK.)

RR door panel is off - as will be the LR panel - to replace the PW motors. Bought Motorcraft OEM units this time, I'm sick of replacing them every three or four years. Hope the Motorcrafts last at least 8-10 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rear wiper

I love the curves of my 2000 wagon. Reminds me of girl watching! But finding a wiper that cleans more than 6" [center to edge] is a challenge. With OEM spec length arm, the top is fine, but 4" from the bottom of the blade is in the air. Should I just go to a 12" blade or bend the [email protected]#$% out of a cheeper blade?

While I have your attention.
Finding a clean sweeping wiper for the driver side is frustrating. Best I've found is 1" shorter with visible actuating arms. The style that collect all the ice and sludge. The one within hiddden arms are too rigid and don't clean 1"+ from their ends.

I suspect the sedan and wagons use the same windshield. Many different mfg wipers are fine for passenger side.

PS Please no suggestions for "Rain-X" products. I've tried them with & without their windshield cleaners and don't like their film reside. I'm 72 and know how to have squeaky clean windows!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts