Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!!!

I currently have sylvania silverstars that are about 2 years old and I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade. The silverstars are in my 2003 Taurus SE and I have noticed that they are worse than OEM headlights in the following ways:
~** They do not give adequate vision in rain, or even if the road is wet.
*~* They are not safe to drive with in the winter. Snow visibility = horrible ... Icy Roads = Even Worse
**~ The only time you will say "Oh my, these are awesome" is on concrete road ... Blacktop they suck.

:ford: This is with 2 year old sylvania silverstars without an upgraded harness :ford:

Question 1 - Should I upgrade to sylvania silverstar ultra's, if so, do I need a better wiring harness???
:noes: In the case of buying the Ultra's and a new wiring harness ... Does the extra $$$ and time justify:
:notworthy: HID :notworthy:
Question 2 - Should I purchase an aftermarket HID kit?
:dunno: How much will this cost?
:dunno: Will this be hard to do?
:dunno: Which type of HID gives:
The bluest color?
The purplest color?
The most distinct color?
Which tend to give the best visibility?

Thanks in advance ...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with the Ultra's. I just put a set in my 95 GL yesterday. I can def. tell the difference between the stockers and the Ultra's. They seem much brighter. Of course this is probably due to the fact that the bulbs that were in there were original, factory bulbs.

I had the intention of going with an HID kit, however, I lacked the money, a kit seemed to run anywhere from $150 or more. From some of the reading that I've done and also talking to some of my buddies who have/have had HIDs, I think, atleast in RI, they are considered to be illegal. This is why I went with the Silver Star Ultras. Plus, with HIDs, and correct me if I'm wrong guys, you loose the ability to switch from high beam to low beam, although I believe some of the higher end kits will do both.

I've never used an HID kit before, but they do not look to difficult to install.

Just my 2 cents,
-Alex

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
HID has its legality issues. A good kit will run you about $225-250 (McCulloch is one of the best kits that I've seen). However, MOST HID kits are single beam 9007, so you'll lose your highbeams.

4300/5000k = white light (and I mean WHITE)
6000k = slight blue/purple tint w/ white light
8000k = burple
10,000k = worthless

4300-6000k seem to be the most popular, and effective at lighting the road. However, with the issues you've been having with the "whiter" light output from your silverstars, something even more white would not be the way to go.

Heavy Duty headlight harness + Silverstars (or silverstar ultras) IS 100% MOST DEFINITELY worth it. In total, you'll spend about 100 bucks, and the light output is fantastic. The stock wiring is letting noooo power through to your lights. The ultras dont NEED an HD harness, but they perform 100x better with one.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I installed Xtravisions few days after buying my 02. Next will be the HD harness.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Best wet visibilty is with a "redder" light - the longer red wavelengths have a lower index of refraction and are therefore not scattered as much when they hit the water. Same thing goes for fog and snow.

That said, the last thing you want to do is go with a high-temperature HID kit. 5778K is the surface temp of the Sun, and is therefore roughly the same color as daylight. I would never go above 6000K for an HID kit, and would recommend the lowest temperature of 4300K. SilverStar bulbs have a color temperature of 4000K according to their website.

http://tinyurl.com/6anrf

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I would never go above 6000K for an HID kit, and would recommend the lowest temperature of 4300K[/b]
You don't like anything over 6000K? :dunno:

8000K look so purdy! :)

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I have to agree.........8000K I love these lights......and mine are high and low beam...

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Too blue IMHO. They may look nice, but they actually make it harder to see. I've gone through a lengthy discussion on how the eye works and the importance of spectral sensitivity before; if you want to learn about it just do a search.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
You don't like anything over 6000K? :dunno:

8000K look so purdy! :)
[/b]
Too much glare, too little light going to ground.

Gen3 headlight assemblies are absolutely terrible for HID installs. The reflectors tend to scatter light vertically like a floodlight which significantly decreases beam focus on the road. With the almost non-existent cutoff, any HID or high wattage install will only increase glare and piss off oncoming drivers.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I can fiddle with my camera settings to make my lights look like 6000-8000k :p

I'll stick to my 4300's for actual lighting purposes, though.

See sig pic for example of "6000k" lighting trick. Those are actually silverstars on stock headlight harnesses. :noes:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
The lights work good for me. I can usually see pretty good at night anyway. While driving around, no one has ever flashed their lights at me.

I must admit though, I don't drive this car daily and not at all during the Winter salt season, so there is less of a chance of someone complaining about them. They are a hit at the cruises though, it gets my car noticed.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
They are a hit at the cruises though, it gets my car noticed.
[/b]
Sheewwwwt... you dont need fancy headlights to get your Sable noticed. That car is a sexy beast!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
They are a hit at the cruises though, it gets my car noticed.
[/b]
Sheewwwwt... you dont need fancy headlights to get your Sable noticed. That car is a sexy beast!
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! :thumb: Just wait until it comes back from the paint booth! :chili: :banana: If everything checks out, I will be trying something new!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so i did a little looking around at HID...

Why is anything over 10,000K useless???

Are there any pictures of actual members with HID lights installed in their cars?

could anyone post pictures or links for each "popular" temperature rating?

When I see nice lexus and Acura cars they seem to have a very distinct color of HID... They look different farther away compared when they pull up close behind your car.

Also, any good links for a good quality wiring harness for a 2003 taurus?
What are the steps that I need to do in order to replace the wiring harness?

If I wanted to upgrade to HID, which bulb give off the most distinct color? I don't like the purple colored HID though...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I was going to buy silverstar ultras. But if they aren't good ... then I won't get them.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....301&PTSet=A
[/b]
They're good. I like them because they supposedly last longer. So far, compared to the regular silverstars, that has held true.

And remember, get an HD harness!!
[/b][/quote]

Agreed. Ultras + Harness = Awesome

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I put Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's in my 96' Taurus GL. They rock. I think you may be wanting a pair of Amber Foglamps. Similar to what I have on my Taurus. Xenon bulbs if anything will make snow visibility worse (white out) in that case you need Amber light. as for rain visibility i have no answer because whenever its light outside. Lights are not going to work. (i have the cold winter rain issues too.. very bright.. cant see the road.) lights wont help there maybe Amber fogs? :dunno:

Xenons have BAD legality issues. You should only run them in projector housings for PROPER illumination of the road. Without projectors your halogen housings will scatter the light and degrade the actual quality of the xenon light. It will also "daze" drivers due to their "dazzling" effect. Think of running a High beam in your face while driving down the road. Thats how the other car feels when running a 6K xenon without projectors. The only way you will get that "xenon look" that all those fancy cars show off is if your using projector lenses. just popping in xenon bulbs will not achieve that effect. reality check please. Its a Taurus. Not a luxury sedan. :lol2: It can be with time and money invested. As per xenons low kelvin ratings are acceptable as they do not produce as much blinding glare as the higher kelvins (personal experience with the Taurus) but for the REAL xenon effect you need projector lamps. nuff sed. :D

As for the 10K+ is useless. It really isn't unless the light output (lumens) is less than a lower kelvin. the answer is a lot of cheap bulb companies will make 10K lights by putting cool blue covers on a lower kelvin light and marketing it as a 10K+ bulb because it matches the color of a 10K bulb. It all depends on where you get your bulbs.

To TRULY enjoy better lighting you need a CLEAR lens headlamp housing. NO FOGGING, NO CRAZING(tiny cracks), and NO OXIDATION. they must be CRYSTAL CLEAR. You also need good bulbs like SilverStar Ultras. And to complete it HD harnesses on the bulbs. they usually increase light output by decreasing the amount of electrical resistance to the bulb. (they also dont melt at higher heat levels. essential to running xenons)

---EDIT---

I just came up with an idea. crazy but may work. This involves modifying your headlamp ASY though. You can make a cutoff for your headlamps.. kinda like those weird looking slotted lamps on Need for speed underground 2. just take some black plastic and slot them where the cutout should be.. reflect light back in with a mirror coating on the inside edge. open the headlamp asy and put in the cutoff. Boom. instant headlight cutoff with light refractor to use "wasted" light.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Ok, so i did a little looking around at HID...

Why is anything over 10,000K useless???

Are there any pictures of actual members with HID lights installed in their cars?

could anyone post pictures or links for each "popular" temperature rating?

When I see nice lexus and Acura cars they seem to have a very distinct color of HID... They look different farther away compared when they pull up close behind your car.

Also, any good links for a good quality wiring harness for a 2003 taurus?
What are the steps that I need to do in order to replace the wiring harness?

If I wanted to upgrade to HID, which bulb give off the most distinct color? I don't like the purple colored HID though...
[/b]
Because you cant see sh!t with 10,000k lights. WAY too purple.

Most stock HIDs use 4150-4400k color temperature. Projector lenses will give it that "color change" effect because of how it focuses the light.

Most pictures of headlights are fairly useless. The wrong camera setting can make even the worst performing halogens look like glaring 10,000 watt super bulbs.

Link to harness: Select the 9007/hb5 harness

It's a plug and play install.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts