Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Cadence of Really Amazing Product, or the patented AMD CRAP (tm) product development methodology.

"Why make small improvements every year when we can make really big improvements every three years," AMD Senior Director of Market Share Management John M. Oron said in a press release.

"By doing things this way, we can promise investors a brand new innovative product every three years," Oron noted.

By implementing this CRAP methodology, AMD hopes that it can take full advantage of buzz-phrases such as "Clean Sheet Design" and the ever popular, "It Can't Get Much Worse than This" sentiment among enthusiasts.

"We'll get a really nice revenue boost in years when we drop a Transformative Unique Re-Design, or TURD, in the marketplace. This is great for investors because it means that our stock price will predictably plunge in the year following the TURD launch as the product gets a bit dry and frankly stale," Oron said with a grin, struggling to hold back laughter.

"But they can count on huge gains in the year leading up to the new products! We will become Wall Street's best stock as it can be counted on to deliver huge upside and massive downside for investors who follow the story," Oron noted.

They say the best jokes have some degree of truth to them...

Really though, Summit Ridge (Zen) is supposed to hit Q4 2016 and bring a 40% IPC improvement over Excavator, then the APU's should launch in 2017 with Zen cores.

Not sure it's going to be enough to get Intel moving again, seeing as they're being lazy due to lack of competition and facing engineering issues.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Cadence of Really Amazing Product, or the patented AMD CRAP (tm) product development methodology.

"Why make small improvements every year when we can make really big improvements every three years," AMD Senior Director of Market Share Management John M. Oron said in a press release.

"By doing things this way, we can promise investors a brand new innovative product every three years," Oron noted.

By implementing this CRAP methodology, AMD hopes that it can take full advantage of buzz-phrases such as "Clean Sheet Design" and the ever popular, "It Can't Get Much Worse than This" sentiment among enthusiasts.

"We'll get a really nice revenue boost in years when we drop a Transformative Unique Re-Design, or TURD, in the marketplace. This is great for investors because it means that our stock price will predictably plunge in the year following the TURD launch as the product gets a bit dry and frankly stale," Oron said with a grin, struggling to hold back laughter.

"But they can count on huge gains in the year leading up to the new products! We will become Wall Street's best stock as it can be counted on to deliver huge upside and massive downside for investors who follow the story," Oron noted.

They say the best jokes have some degree of truth to them...

Really though, Summit Ridge (Zen) is supposed to hit Q4 2016 and bring a 40% IPC improvement over Excavator, then the APU's should launch in 2017 with Zen cores.

Not sure it's going to be enough to get Intel moving again, seeing as they're being lazy due to lack of competition and facing engineering issues.
More like material science issues. Their engineers are top tier, some of the smartest people on earth when it comes to silicon chips. But they're starting to hit physical limits, and batteries are still stuck in the stone age compared to where we want them to be. Makes things a lot more difficult.

AMD is finished as far as I'm concerned, someone will purchase them out and dismantle them. They simply haven't put anything competitive out in too long. Even if they do come up with a competitive product, we all know they won't be able to hit their launch target or ship enough units to sate what little demand there will be.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Well, I found out that carrier insurance, at least for Verizon, includes an extended hardware warranty. So rather than replace the battery myself or pay Apple $80 I'm just getting the phone swapped for free.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Got tired of my PS3 fat not working..... especially after buying my kids Minecraft for Christmas. This was my fathers PS3 till it crapped out on him so he bought another and my brother in law took it, 'fixed' it and was using it till it crapped out on him. I took it and it was working fine till about 2 weeks ago. The fan kicked on high speed and it started shutting off on it's own until one day it just died. Turning it on, it would beep 3 times, then shut off, no YLOD or anything just shut off. I finally broke it down, took the MB out and reflowed the solder on the GPU/CPU with a heat gun.

I'd say it was a success because it turned right on no issues. I had it on for over 30 minutes to charge the controller and it was still working properly. Nice and cheap all it cost was about $8 for the thermal paste ;)

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Yeah, they're not too bad to take apart. The later Phats are easier than the earlier ones since they don't have the media card readers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love this thread-- Subscribed. :)

Quite the debate over phones; when this thread was first started. I recently Had an issue I need to share with ya'all that may save you some frustration down the road. (Cross posted from another forum: EMSQ)

So, some advice for anyone running an Android O/S 5.1.0 and above. IF you have to do a hard reset/restore on your device you should read this article first.

http://gadgetguideonline.com/android/lollipop/how-to-bypass-device-protection-in-android-lollipop-5-1-when-you-do-a-factory-data-reset/

I unfortunately found this link too late and am currently "enjoying" a 72 hour vacation from my phone. I was using thumb print security and, like a dumba**, after working with glue, spray foam, sheetrock and mud, and cutting wood, I damaged my thumbprint enough that I locked myself out of my Note 5.
The moral of the story is, use multiple digits if you are going to use fingerprint security, 2nd (and I KNOW Better) do your research before wiping your Android device.
But Hey! At least it is recoverable. I found some articles where a similar issue with an i-Product magically turns itself in to a brick.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
I'd finally had it with my PS2 Slim (I hate disc spindles) and found a cheap Fat model at the thrift. Unfortunately it didn't read any CD's or PS1 discs, so I tore it apart.

Definitely had a fair amount of dust on the board.

And just to give you an idea of what the inside of the optical drive looked like:

Had to wipe that out, it was crusted on.

At any rate, it reads all discs just fine now (laser had a coating of dust too). Even had the Broadband Adapter installed (even if its mostly useless now), and was only $7 total.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'd finally had it with my PS2 Slim (I hate disc spindles) and found a cheap Fat model at the thrift. Unfortunately it didn't read any CD's or PS1 discs, so I tore it apart.

Definitely had a fair amount of dust on the board.

And just to give you an idea of what the inside of the optical drive looked like:

Had to wipe that out, it was crusted on.

At any rate, it reads all discs just fine now (laser had a coating of dust too). Even had the Broadband Adapter installed (even if its mostly useless now), and was only $7 total.
Ah, someone else well versed in the fat PS2 and console repair. I used to repair them back in the day for friends. I still have my fatty and use it fairly often. Nice Saturn, btw. And a job well done.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Only difficulty was getting all the ribbon cables seated again, really. Other than that it's just a matter of going slow and being careful where you put screws.

I'm still building the Saturn collection, but it's...not inconsiderable. :)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Only difficulty was getting all the ribbon cables seated again, really. Other than that it's just a matter of going slow and being careful where you put screws.

I'm still building the Saturn collection, but it's...not inconsiderable. :)
I used to collect Dreamcast games and accessories a few years ago. I had a large % of what was available. I fell on hard times and had to sell though.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
The Dreamcast market is doing okay, it hasn't spiked as badly as some of the others. The Shenmue III announcement juiced it for a little bit but it's trending back down. I don't have a ton of DC stuff but I do have it hooked up with a VGA box, so it looks nice. :)

I've had to import a ton of Saturn games from Japan (or Europe in some cases) because the US prices are simply out of control. I've watched games go from $30 or so to $100+ in the last month, and there's a handful that are now $200+ consistently.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
The Dreamcast market is doing okay, it hasn't spiked as badly as some of the others. The Shenmue III announcement juiced it for a little bit but it's trending back down. I don't have a ton of DC stuff but I do have it hooked up with a VGA box, so it looks nice. :)

I've had to import a ton of Saturn games from Japan (or Europe in some cases) because the US prices are simply out of control. I've watched games go from $30 or so to $100+ in the last month, and there's a handful that are now $200+ consistently.
Yeah, Panzer Dragoon in particular is a nightmare to get a hold of in US release form. I was always looking out for it in garage sales but never had any luck.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
PDS is now $350+ or so, sadly that's not even the worst. Some of them are just ridiculous too; Guardian Heroes is $150+ but it's $5 on XBLA. Radiant Silvergun is $250+ easy but that's $10 on XBLA. I get a higher price if it doesn't exist anywhere else (and there are Saturn games that fit that description) but...sheesh.

Of course none of those top this: Mega Man x3 Sega Saturn Exclusive SEALED NES New VGA 85 Exceptional and RARE 4976219154550 | eBay

At that point, it's collecting to have and not enjoy.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
The SegaCD is notorious for blown fuses, and I suspected that was the issue with mine. I had a spare pico fuse but I couldn't find it, and really didn't feel like messing with it anyway.

So I went to Autozone, grabbed some car parts, and worked this out.

And happily enough, it worked. :)

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Bump from the Death Area of the Fora.

Chasing a vendor based certification, they stated that Windows 10 may cause me to miss evidence, essentially, due to a bug in indexing.

Crap. I don't even run Win 7 on my workstations here anymore. Fortunately, I found an activated VirtualBox VM on my archives so I'll be cleaning that up rather than trying to build and re-activate a new Virtual Machine. Not sure if the key I have will work anymore nor do I feel like having to call the Activation Hotline.

I miss the old days of Windows VLK keys that never went anywhere.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
We're sticking with 7 until the bitter end at my workplace. After this field refresh is done all the machines will be licensed for either 8.1 or 10 Pro, but loaded with 7 currently.

Thankfully we only have four XP machines still in service; one of which will be retired shortly. The other three are needed for very specific applications...

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I've spent far too long today screwing with the VM and moving files around/off my main workstation's SSD to get this project going.

Windows Update broke on the 7 VM, as it had broken on our 7 workstation that my folks use. But despite this VM being dead since 2015, it got "Get Windows 10" briefly before it went away. And then it wouldn't update anymore. Had to offline patch with a freeware tool before it would resume function.

They almost make me happy I use a Mac sometimes. And I hate Tim's Apple...

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
I love my Macs. I had something like 65 days of uptime, with multiple sleep/wakes per day on my old MacBook. Only had to reboot for software updates. My new Air is the same way.

Wasn't so smooth a few years ago, but Sierra's been really solid for me.

341 - 360 of 362 Posts