Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
I've been looking for a few weeks, considering some on eBay, checking thrift stores, etc. Yesterday I happened to drop by the used game store in the mall and finally saw one at a reasonable price:

The open button was sticking so I pulled that assembly apart and cleaned it all out.

And here it is, happy and moving. I'd use the PS3 but the emulation on that is a lot buggier than I realized, and the PS2 I got a few months ago is extremely cranky. I've been enjoying Medal of Honor lately, I didn't have a PS1 as a kid so I've got a lot to catch up on.

It's also weird to have a console that's nearly silent, I didn't bring any cart based ones with me but you rarely hear anything from this...

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I was at my brother's place yesterday and I was playing games from my childhood........ Atari 2600 and the NES. Played Duck Hunt, Mario Bros, RC Pro Am, Spy Hunter, Dragster, Space Invaders and Combat. Pure awesomeness. :)

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
My NES is packed but it does work, I had it apart a few years ago to retweak the 72-pin connector. I have SMB 3 on the GBA.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I wouldn't classify the PS1 as silent, but it's a great console. My childhood memories are filled with the "ree wrrrr" noises of the disc drive loading Need For Speed High Stakes levels. If you don't have that game, get it. It still holds up today. I actually still pop it in and play every so often. Also, Spyro and Twisted Metal. You're welcome :lol2:

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I wouldn't classify the PS1 as silent, but it's a great console. My childhood memories are filled with the "ree wrrrr" noises of the disc drive loading Need For Speed High Stakes levels. If you don't have that game, get it. It still holds up today. I actually still pop it in and play every so often. Also, Spyro and Twisted Metal. You're welcome :lol2:
Played High Stakes on PC so much as a kid--I loved to get in a cop car and chase bad guys.

After a while I reskinned the vehicles in the game to look like the police vehicles in my town. That was freakin cool. I wish I still had screen caps.

I loved how the Caprice vehicle the AIs drove was pretty accurate, but the CVPI terribly done.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts

This is a final original case model (9001) so the disc drive is improved and quieter. Regardless, compared to the leaf blower of my 360, the gentle roar of the PS3, the whirr of the Wii or Dreamcast, it's pretty darn quiet lol.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I wouldn't classify the PS1 as silent, but it's a great console. My childhood memories are filled with the "ree wrrrr" noises of the disc drive loading Need For Speed High Stakes levels. If you don't have that game, get it. It still holds up today. I actually still pop it in and play every so often. Also, Spyro and Twisted Metal. You're welcome

This is a final original case model (9001) so the disc drive is improved and quieter. Regardless, compared to the leaf blower of my 360, the gentle roar of the PS3, the whirr of the Wii or Dreamcast, it's pretty darn quiet lol.
Yeah I had a 9001 for a while. Ill agree that next to a modern system its barely aduible. I currently have a mint 7502 system that I pull out on special occasions. Lol.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1447440437.265677.jpg

I had to splice the tape in the middle, but works perfectly. Had the power cable and the microphone in compartments in the bottom. First section of tape has a kid singing Hakuna Matata.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The PS4 can now emulate PlayStation 2 games | Ars Technica

I hope this is extended to full disc-based backward compatibility, but I think it'll just be for download games.
Nah it will just be downloaded games. Sony has to basically port each PS2 game they want to sell on PSN using the source code and what not. They don't have a wide scale software emulator that would work for every game. It would have been nice though if PS4's shipped with a built in emotion engine chip for true hardware support.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
That's not what the evidence shows. They're running the PS2's OS and the games aren't remastered. And while the Jaguar/Liverpool unit can't emulate the Cell/RSX natively, it shouldn't have any issue with the EE/GS from the PS2.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
That's not what the evidence shows. They're running the PS2's OS and the games aren't remastered. And while the Jaguar/Liverpool unit can't emulate the Cell/RSX natively, it shouldn't have any issue with the EE/GS from the PS2.
Eh, we'll see. I mean, Sony is the one to deliver since they have all the knowledge as to how to do it, but obviously the community at large has been struggling for years to get some decent emulation going. The PS4's hardware is also laughably slow if you compare it to a modern high end PC.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
From what I've heard emulating the PS2 isn't too hard on a modest PC these days. And obviously Sony knows the PS2's hardware and software better than the hackers. Plus, open source stuff like emulators is by nature a bit slow to develop since it's done in people's spare time.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
From what I've heard emulating the PS2 isn't too hard on a modest PC these days. And obviously Sony knows the PS2's hardware and software better than the hackers. Plus, open source stuff like emulators is by nature a bit slow to develop since it's done in people's spare time.
Depends on the game. Some are easier than others. Gran Turismo 4 for example needs a really high end processor. Same with the Ratchet & Clank games.

But yeah, as I said, if anyone can do it, it's Sony. Would sure be nice if they finally were able to add a software emulator that worked with physical games. Then I could finally retire my PS2.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1452003094.319996.jpg

This is the slowest laptop I own that's still portable (standards include working battery and at least 802.11g), and the hard disk in it had had a long history. Finally got the adapter I ordered mid December and made it soild state.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1452003105.087726.jpg

Quite a performance boost. It's still limited by only being an ATA/100 bus but it's maxing that out. This machine is limited to 1.128GB of RAM, so it helps a lot when it has to cache to disk as well.

867MHz 12" PowerBook G4 from early 2003, with the config this machine would have been over $2500 new.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1452809848.586174.jpg

Still works actually. No idea how old that toner cartridge is but it prints a nice test page.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
View attachment 165097

Still works actually. No idea how old that toner cartridge is but it prints a nice test page.
When I was doing a stand alone printer to Multi-function copier migration at my former employer we pulled out a bunch of those old LJ 6P models. Some were over 1 million pages and still working. I have to give them credit..... a lot of the older model HP laser jets that we had there were workhorses, provided the idiot agents didn't stick things in them to clear paper jams. My personal favorite was the HP LaserJet 2300dn. I had so many of them and most of the ones I installed in 2005 were still working without a single flaw over the 10 years I was there. Blow out the paper dust, and keep rolling. Most had over 500,000 copies on them.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
We have three LJ 1100's as well.

I may see what we plan to do with this, my desktop has a parallel header on it still, and this would work well for me.

321 - 340 of 362 Posts
About this Discussion
361 Replies
28 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing