Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Administrator
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had to create this thread at some point and here it is. Consider this thread the home for all discussion relating to non automotive tech.
The discussions that at times have made The Amazingly Off Topic thread seem more like a techie chat room should now happen here. This is the home for it going forward and as Nick says "There's no place like 127.0.0.1".

Since this is a subject that some folks get fairly passionate about I just want to once again make my time worn admonishment to

PLAY NICE OR DON'T PLAY!

For the rest I will shamelessly plagiarize what Ben so eloquently said when he began the US/World Issues Discussion thread:

"From now on, please refrain from discussing these topics in other threads.

Now I'm going to lay out some ground rules here:

1. If there are ANY personal attacks, the thread WILL be locked until everyone cools down, and individuals will be reprimanded if need be.

2. If I or another moderator feels as if the discussion is getting out of hand, the thread WILL be locked until everyone cools down.

3. I can't stress this enough...If the discussion gets out of hand, the thread WILL BE LOCKED!!!

So lets avoid locking it, shall we?

Ok guys and gals, have at it!"

That all said:

Let Your Geek Flag Fly!

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Samsung. End of discussion... :lol2:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
We know who'll be frothing at the mouth from that statement.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
To be on topic my iPhone now doesn't play music while I'm on the internet (eg. Browsing craigslist).
Another fault in the looooooooooong list of software and hardware faults this overpriced piece of junk has.
And the kicker: it's only 6 months old. Headphone jack is already completely messed up.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Could but i use it for many things, like arguing with my friend why he can't use 707hp on the street

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
I'm starting to hate Snapchat's bugs in it's software. I want to get a notification when someone sends me something, not when they start typing!

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
...... and as Nick says "There's no place like 127.0.0.1".
:lol2: Sounds like what I tell people at work........ "I found the problem.........it's the chair to keyboard interface"

I've come across WAY too many people at work that keep asking me what I think they should get for a phone because they can't stand their Iphone. Love my Samsung.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
:lol2: Sounds like what I tell people at work........ "I found the problem.........it's the chair to keyboard interface"

I've come across WAY too many people at work that keep asking me what I think they should get for a phone because they can't stand their Iphone. Love my Samsung.
I'm pretty sure I've never had this happen, ever. I'm not even saying that to be an Applefanboy, I just realized, I've never had this happen. I worked IT before my current stint, although still do it on the side.

I only stay on my iPhone for the reliability. Every other phone I've had has died a quick, yet painful death due to poor build quality. Hopefully Samsung is bucking the trend.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've never had this happen, ever. I'm not even saying that to be an Applefanboy, I just realized, I've never had this happen. I worked IT before my current stint, although still do it on the side.

I only stay on my iPhone for the reliability. Every other phone I've had has died a quick, yet painful death due to poor build quality. Hopefully Samsung is bucking the trend.
I'm with you. I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but my iPhone 5S has been nothing but rock solid for going on a year now. Ridiculously fast, extremely stable and easily gets a couple of days on a charge even with heavy use. Hands down the best phone I've owned since the OG Blackberry days. I can't say the same about the older iPhones though. The 4S I had awhile back was laggy, slow and very power hungry. It was more stable than any Android phone I've ever owned though and that includes some flagships like the Galaxy 3, Galaxy 4, Nexus S and HTC One X.

I really love it when my buddy with a Galaxy 5 asks to borrow my phone to take a picture. He bragged so much about that phone, for about a week. Now he's just hoping the next software update will fix a good chunk of the bugs. He knows better than to expect them all to be fixed. There isn't an Android phone out there that doesn't have at least a few.

To be honest though, I wish Blackberry hadn't dropped the ball. The older Blackberry's were built like tanks and ridiculously good at what they were designed for. I still miss the keyboard.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I miss the size of my old Pearl. That was the handiest little phone I ever owned. Not the best performing, but certainly sized to win.

One thing I won't miss? Being a BES admin. Holy hell.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My iPhone charger has crapped out (not apples fault since the charger is aftermarket cheap china compared to apples oem expensive china) my Apple one broke looooong ago. Cheap china has outlasted expensive china

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
My iPhone charger has crapped out (not apples fault since the charger is aftermarket cheap china compared to apples oem expensive china) my Apple one broke looooong ago. Cheap china has outlasted expensive china
This would be my one complaint of my iPhone. I'm on my 5th or 6th Lightning cable. They crap out constantly. I sprung for the Apple replacements the first two times. Now I just buy the even cheaper Chinese junk ones. There doesn't seem to be a difference.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I was about to walk out the door to walmart when it starts working fine again. Intermittent S.o.b

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
To be on topic my iPhone now doesn't play music while I'm on the internet (eg. Browsing craigslist).
Another fault in the looooooooooong list of software and hardware faults this overpriced piece of junk has.
And the kicker: it's only 6 months old. Headphone jack is already completely messed up.
After not being able to see through the corrupted screen for weeks. I broke down Monday and had my iPhone4 screen replaced for the 3 time since owning it in 2012. Wished Apple would have released the iPhone 6 & I could have just tossed this relic in the trash. The new firmware makes the phone4 sooooooo turtle slow I wish I never upgraded to the 7 OS.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I wonder if they make the new software slow down the old phones to make you get a new one. I bet they would. Seems like a very Apple idea

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
The new firmware makes the phone4 sooooooo turtle slow I wish I never upgraded to the 7 OS.
I think this has a lot to do with why some people love the iPhone and others hate it. I have their newest, flagship device and love it. Many people that are new to the iPhone are buying the discounted, outdated, older models though. With the newer software, they don't run anywhere near as well as they did when they were new.

Part of me wants to give kudos to Apple for supporting their phones for so long. Few other makers offer more than maybe one software update. Your iPhone 4 got four major updates. The 4S is about to get it's fourth as well. On the other hand, they have often pushed older hardware beyond its limits with newer software. It's hard not to see this as a planned obsolescence. The iPhone 4 is all but unusable with iOS 7. The 4S isn't much better. That said, most Android phones don't age well either.

I also can't say much for the build quality up until the 5 and 5s. The 4 and 4s were fragile junk. The 5c is also nowhere near the same standards. As much as I love my 5s, I'm going to have a close look at the 6 before I buy it.

1 - 20 of 362 Posts
About this Discussion
361 Replies
28 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing