Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know there are numerous people upset with me for the extreme delays we have seen on the Taurus Cold Air Intake. I wanted to post here and give everyone a chance to voice their concerns/frustrations/opinions/etc. I will respond honestly and make an attempt to explain the situation we have found ourselves in at Draxas.

Many of you know the history of Duratec Performance/Draxas over the last 9 months, some of you don't. Long story short, every since our old business partner decided to screw us, we have been in a VERY precarious financial situation. We simply do not have the money to embark on projects like we used to be able to do. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though.

The last time we had David come into the shop we were one step away from making these kits. The welding jig is made and the fabricator is waiting for my word on what to do. I want to release this cold air intake kit because I know it will be the highest quality, best functioning cold air intake on the market for the Duratec powered Taurus, hands down. We have spent countless hours getting to this point, and to stop now would make absolutely NO sense.

I understand that some of you are upset enough with us and want nothing to do with this intake. When the intake is released, if you don't want to buy it, then you don't have to. That is your choice. All I can do is ask for you to understand the situation Draxas is in and maybe allow that info to change your opinion of us. It was and is not my choice to delay this intake. If you don't have the money, you cant spend the money.

Please let me know how you feel, allow me to address your concerns, bitch me out if you have to. But I want to get back to a good relationship with the Taurus community. But holding a grudge against Draxas, especially when Im putting forth an attempt to make things better, just doesn't make any sense. I'm doing everything I can do release this intake as well as some other mods for the Taurus. The future isn't quite as dark as you may think.

My Apologies,

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Well I don't know about everyone else, but I love you just as you are! j/k :D

I think it's a great idea for you to open yourself up like this. If anyone has any arguments, they can state them now, or just suck it up and see that you are trying to do us some good.

Just keep us updated on the possible release date of the kits! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price of the intake will be reasonable, especially considering the price of the other cold air intake developed by SableSal. I believe he is selling his for $125+$20 shipping. You still have to buy a MAF adapter and a filter. So add another $60+ to that cost and you are at $205 shipped.

The cost of our intake will be somewhere around $225-$240. The reason our cost is higher is because we are using higher quality ThermalFlex silicon couplers and high quality stainless steel clamps. Plus, our intake will allow all of the hoses to be attached including the IAT sensor, just like factory.

Im keeping my fingers crossed, but I just got word we might see an infusion of much needed capital ($$$$$) that will allow this project to begin. One way for me to keep costs down on the kit is to have the pipes powder coated as opposed to ceramic coated. The ceramic coating is just way too expensive for such a small pipe.

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I'm not in the market for your CAI, as I am an owner of a Vulcan, but I just want to offer some moral support.

I applaud you for being honest and open. I understand how hard it is for small businesses, especially ones that do R&D and manufacturing. What makes it even worse, is that the market for performance Taurii parst is so small. But I believe that the TCCA still firmly supports your efforts, and with time you'll be fine. Good luck, and if you ever develop parts for the Vulcan, be sure to let me know.

-Daniel

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
:flamethrower: :flamethrowing:

J/K :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once this intake is released, then we will seriously consider making the changes necessary for the Vulcan setup. From what I have seen, there wont be much I have to change in the design.

Hopefully sales go well for this CAI which would allow us to move on quickly to the next Taurus project.

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The Gen 4 (2000) duratec does not have a seperate IAT sensor like the previous duratec vehicles. Ours is integrated into the MAF sensor assembly. Is there a different part you will be shipping to Gen 4 owners without the mounting hole for the IAT sensor?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Nick (or do you prefer Nikolas?),

I respect and applaud you for not walking away from the project (and the TCCA for that matter after the criticism) after all that you guys are going through with finances and all. My only criticism is that even if you didn't have the money to continue on with the CAI production that shouldn't have kept you from keeping us informed of your situation. I'm sure there would have less people upset about the delays if you just kept in touch from time to time and informed us of what was going on. Regardless I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you guys. :)

Originally posted by mikehawk@Jul 9 2004, 09:21 AM
Did you guys ever make any more of those O/R catless y-pipes?
I too am very interested in one of these also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding the intake and the integrated IAT on later models....

The short intermediate pipe will have 4 very small "nipples" welded to it. Those who require all 4 (Gen 3) will have them there. If you have a Gen4 Taurus, we will provide a plug for the 4th hole you dont need. They are very small nipples, and the 4th you leave vacant can be on the underside of the pipe, so no one will ever see it.

The Off Road y_pipe....

I want to re-release these as well. To do this, we will need to have a Taurus come into the shop for at least 1 day so we can tweak the prototype to make sure it fits properly. After putting the original buyers through the headaches the first time around, Im not going to sell the Y-Pipe until we have one on a Taurus and knows it fits perfectly. The two people we have used in the past for prototyping might be too ticked off at us now to volunteer their cars again, who knows. Or, they may not be able to leave their car at our facility for 24-48 hours. In either case, we will need to have a Gen3 Taurus stop by the shop at some point for this work to be completed.

I do not see work being done on the Y-Pipe for several months though. Just wanted to get that out there. We have our recovery plan in place and working, and we have to complete some other projects first (Taurus CAI being one of them) before we move back to the Taurus Y-Pipe.

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Draxas_VP@Jul 9 2004, 02:40 PM
I do not see work being done on the Y-Pipe for several months though. Just wanted to get that out there.  We have our recovery plan in place and working, and we have to complete some other projects first (Taurus CAI being one of them) before we move back to the Taurus Y-Pipe.
:homer:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I also would like to say that it's nice to finally hear from you. I'd like to see more coming out of you guys, but I understand that finances can be tough. I, and I think that everyone on this site, would have appreciated some sort of contact and a wave saying "Hey, we're not dead. We hit a speedbump. We'll work it out!"

Where are you located? If you're close, I'd be willing to come in and have the pipe fitted.

JR

Y

·
0 Posts
Draxas, where is your shop located? if your not too far, i also will go to get it fitted

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hey Nik, Long time no see. :) well it is good to here from you again I have called you a couple times but with you having the new addition to your family i just never left a message. BTW congats on the KID.

anyway are you going to build the header/y-pipe combo anytime in the not so near future or has that idea been canned???

also sorry but the Only known working Y-pipe is now gone it was sold to Brad (aka baby sho) and i traded the sable for an 03 SVT focus

Y

·
0 Posts
i'm sorry, i can't, your on the other side of the country.. figures lol...

i hope they get done soon!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Glad to finally hear from you again. Financial reasons are always understandable and it is just nice to know that one of the few companies out there that makes parts for our cars is back and running again. If I have the money when a kit is released for the vulcan I will buy one. But that depends on my own financial status, it can be hard sometimes with being a college student.

S

·
0 Posts
I for one will not hold a grudge. Hey Nick, Im going to be in the So Cal area in less then a month. I'm willing to help Draxas with some fabrication ideas. Also a test vehicle. Let me know. Good to hear from you guys!! Look at me, the competator helping out!! :) Hope to see you guys soon.

Edit: We gotta get a Bypass Valve in there too. My new kit will feature one.

*hint* *hint*

SableSal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts