Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic coverings over the rocker panels on my driver side doors half of one fell off and there is so much rust under there I mean it is completely rusted out there is no way to even try to put them back on and I've noticed that other Ford Tauruses that I have seen a lot of them have the exact same problem so I guess that is a default in the Taurus is but my question to you guys as if anybody can tell me or help me I'm not allow don't have a welder I don't know how to do sheet metal work I've never done anybody work but I can see that my brake lines are exposed now it is there anybody have any suggestion of what I could do to Maybe cover that up maybe spray painted or put some type of coverings over the brake lines anything that could help me man I would appreciate it thank you.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
OK, I fixed this and it lasted 4-5 years more with the rocker covers on. I used expanding aerosol foam to fill the rockers and remake what is gone. I attached the covers with decking screws with washers on the heads.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
You have to look at it and determine if it is too far gone because the inner parts of the rocker steel are structural and if you have inspections it may not pass. I junked two good looking Taurus, one with only 120k miles because of rot. You can check the rear floor panels and if they are rotted then not too much is holding the car together.

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've watched a video of a guy showing a Taurus on a stand at it was completely rusted out and it wasn't safe to drive. Idk what steel Ford used for these cars but geez man !

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes #chartmarker..mine is rusted out more then your but it's in the same spot and I don't/have nowhere to attach them back on because of the rust. I'm worried about my break lines because they are right there and they have already been replaced last year because they rusted straight thru !! Is there something I can cover them up with ? I'm thinking about getting some black spray paint and painting over rust but I want to cover the lines

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
This works great. I have used this for inside areas where the wand on the hose lets it reach. Also had a regular spray head. I have also used it for brake drums spraying over rust and it lasts couple rust belt winters as that.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Yes #chartmarker..mine is rusted out more then your but it's in the same spot and I don't/have nowhere to attach them back on because of the rust. I'm worried about my break lines because they are right there and they have already been replaced last year because they rusted straight thru !! Is there something I can cover them up with ? I'm thinking about getting some black spray paint and painting over rust but I want to cover the lines

Ok, if your rockers are that bad you have a 50/50 chance your brake lines will start weeping and leaking below the
drivers door soon. I had previously done the lines on both my 97, and 98. got junk yard lines off not so rotted donors (which are not easy to find). What ever you do, pull those dam plastic covers off the brake lines under the drivers door. they are just moisture collectors that cause them to rot faster in my opinion. If you do change the lines, your need to do both at once. And the lines are different between a ABS car and NON ABS car. Its a big pain in the ass but its doable. You will need line wrenches and penetrating oil to get the fitting nuts off. As i recall, the rear connectors use two different size nuts on the fittings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts