Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I have been installing my new head unit. Kenwood KDC-X994. There is not enough space to push it all the way back. Actually, this unit is about the same size as my old JVC stereo, but Kenwood has RCA connectors on the left hand side. They stick out about one inch and prevent the stereo from fitting.

I looked at what's preventing the head unit from moving, and it seems that it's a part of the mounting assembly of some black plastic box. It sits to the left of the back of the stereo. It's actually some mounting bracket that conflicts with the stereo, not the box itself. Just curious. What's in that box. Is that an airbag sensor?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: I just unbolted the bracket and let the box fall down onto the wires below. I will figure what to do with it later. I am 90% sure it's an airbag impact sensor. Yeah, this has me worried..

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
A photo would help

I believe the airbag module is mounted to the floor.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
A photo would help

I believe the airbag module is mounted to the floor.
You are correct, airbag/restraint control module is bolted to the floor, on the "hump" under the dash, back against the firewall.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's not crash sensor, I am not compelled enough to take out the head unit to see what it is. I remember that it had a yellow label that said that you should call a certain phone number before disconnecting this box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts