Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so I’m new here. Introduced myself in the introduction forum. I need to ask this since I haven’t got a straight forward answer by searching the pages. But I’ve been worrying myself sick about this. So I’m not golden arm mechanic by any means (Hince the Username I chose) lol 😂 However I do have a good mechanical knowledge on how things work and have learned a lot over the years simply by just hands-on work not just being taught but also by doing several several waking hours searching the web for what I’m wanting to know or learn and then searching some more. Anyhow so I bought this car a 2003 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 V6 OHV gas Vin U, around this same time last year and I wish i wouldn’t of. So it has the good old timing cover gasket leak on it as I got to seeing that was a problem after I thought it was the Weepo hole in the water pump. Well that’s just the string of the problems that I’ve had with it and started having problems right out the gate mean I got the car for 2200 bucks with 87,000 original miles sounds like a good deal right well I was wrong and just like any other normal human being I made a mistake so I took my losses made the best of it and decided I was going to fix his car if not scrap it or sell it after I had the oil pan gasket done last year everything kind of mellowed out on it well here we are now I need a radiator and the timing cover gasket done to it so that’s where I’m at right now I also live in Oklahoma so it gets pretty cold here real cold actually -2 with the wind chill the other day and I also unfortunately don’t have means of having an adequate heated garage to do this in. But however I do have a garage it’s just not insulated and it’s crammed full of stuff so I can’t get it inside but I have a carport that’s built on to it and so I’m basically freezing my rear off outside other than having some little smaller size heaters to kind of keep warm and drop lights. Now this was my grandfather‘s house so he left some tools to me and I’ve been building my full collection over the years and I got a decent set up going it’s nowhere near where I want but I do have him packs and air wrenches good set a ratchet wrenches socket wrenches etc. so anyway back to the point this car has been sitting with no water or antifreeze in it for the past going on two weeks now I should say because I also have a family and I’m trying to juggle family time plus you know things happen in life that I had to take care of and I just had them put that on pause unfortunately I wish I would’ve done that but hey it is what it is well although I didn’t have an adequate heated garage or antifreeze or anything in the system I did keep heaters on it and blankets cover in the engine at night as well as several different lights. So where I’m at right now is nowhere where I want to be just because it’s been so freaking cold outside That I thought I was going to get frost bit even though I was bundled up to the Tlooking like the Michelin man. Now like I said before I’ve done my homework on this and lots of it believe me watch several videos including fordtekmakuloco and he has good videos and information on line that I’ve seen and a really good video on this repair well like I said you know we all do things that sometimes don’t make no sense but I’ve been taking notes on what I’ve been doing as well as labeling everything Bolton white night and taking pictures of everything and I mean everything well again like I said we all do things are metal made no sense and I slipped up and when I was taking the pulley off or about two with an impact I turn the engine barely a quarter of an inch counter clockwise but before I did all of this I had main line marks on the poly the harmonic balancer and the sub frame where everything would’ve lined up even know I was saying that this vehicle had a keyway on the engine I just wanted to make sure that I was covered in more ways than one because I didn’t want to screw up but like I said I turn the pulley and the harmonic balance or counter clockwise about a quarter of an ounce stop now the only reason I did was so I can get the poly bolts lined up to where I could get it impact on it yes I probably could’ve used a swivel but I don’t trust a swivels and much less on an impact driver well I didn’t think about it till I had already done it that I might’ve screwed up well I made new marks to where I stopped at and made notes in my book and carried on my question is by turning the harmonic balancer with the pulley on it that quarter of an inch counterclockwise did I screw anything up and also with the cold weather being as cold as it is despite my attempts of keeping the engine warm do you think that I screwed up the engine the freeze plugs look fine if someone can give me some insight on if I’m OK or if I’m SOL I would greatly appreciate it man thanks TCCA

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
First of all, paragraphs are your friend. Secondly, I find it hard to understand what you mean with the balancer. Do you mean you turned the engine over slightly while reinstalling it? The balancer is keyed, so you can't put it on wrong. And unless your timing chain was removed (which IDK why you'd be putting the balancer back on if so) then nothing bad can happen.

Also, if the motor was empty (or at least mostly so, you can never quite get all the liquid out), it should have had enough room to expand if it did freeze. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hello,
I lived with the infamous timing chain cover leak from 2012 until July 2021. At that point I broke one of the smaller bolts on the water pump, could not get it out, so decided to replace the timing cover as a solution to my problem and it needed the repair as well. If you are lucky as I was perhaps you can put this off until spring and warmer temperatures. Be advised that others have posted that the slight leak can suddenly become a bigger problem.

I did the timing cover in late July-August so did not have to contend with cold weather. I had dreaded this repair as I had not done it before and many posted it took most of a weekend. It became just a matter of studying the procedure, Ford Tech's video quite helpful. In the end I had problems with the oil pan gasket and had that professionally replaced as I did not want to deal with the y-pipe. You mentioned you had that done, be careful, may not have to replace it again. The timing cover took care of antifreeze leakage to date. If you must replace the radiator be advised it must be removed from the bottom. Though you are only supposed to turn an engine clockwise, don't think a quarter of an inch counter clockwise will make a difference. Keyway is indeed indexed and should be impossible to install incorrectly. Encourage you to do the repairs yourself, otherwise your conclusion will be to sell or junk the car.

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
At that point I broke one of the smaller bolts on the water pump, could not get it out, so decided to replace the timing cover as a solution to my problem and it needed the repair as well.
This is where I am right now.

I don't have an impact wrench. I used a strap around the pully to hold it still when I removed the center bolt. I probably turned the engine over in both directions in the process. I assumed if the timing chain was on, I couldn't have screwed up the alignment. Hope that's true (and hope I didn't do any damage by turning the engine the wrong way).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where I am right now.

I don't have an impact wrench. I used a strap around the pully to hold it still when I removed the center bolt. I probably turned the engine over in both directions in the process. I assumed if the timing chain was on, I couldn't have screwed up the alignment. Hope that's true (and hope I didn't do any damage by turning the engine the wrong way).
It does help having one, thanks to my wife for that, bought me a new set of sockets and air ratchet and air hammer impact for Christmas thankfully and what a coincidence this happened and I get a chance to really use em. I had soaked every bolt down that was gonna be coming off like 2 days before I got started on it and every time there after with PB Blaster. Looking like some good warmer weather might be on the way so I might be in luck because putting it off isn’t a game of RR I’m willing to play especially when it’s my primary daily driver. I bought a couple of heat lamp bulbs and have a few small decent heaters I’ll surround the car with while I work on it. Though I’m still pondering selling it I just don’t want anybody else’s problems if I was to buy a diff car. That’s what I got with this one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How big is the leak anyway? Can't you get away with daily adding some coolant until it is March?

Do I understand it correctly that you have the crankshaft pulley off and are about to take off the harmonic balancer?

Did you take off the waterpump pulley and waterpump itself or is it still on the timing cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How big is the leak anyway? Can't you get away with daily adding some coolant until it is March?

Do I understand it correctly that you have the crankshaft pulley off and are about to take off the harmonic balancer?

Did you take off the waterpump pulley and waterpump itself or is it still on the timing cover?
It was pretty good. Almost daily adding of coolant to the reservoir and this car gets drove a lot for it’s my work car and I drive an hour one-way two hours round-trip plus driving around the city to go to work so it could not wait.

Yes I have the crankshaft pulley off now and I’m about to pull the harmonic balancer. However but before I did any of that pulling the pulley and what not i made marks of where The pulley and the harmonic balancer was lined up so that way I could remember whenever I went to put it back on Even though knowing that it had a keyway on it As far as what I seen when I was reading articles and seeing videos about the whole process, I don’t think I did anything bad but like I said before I did any of that I rotated the engine backwards just a hair so I can get all the bolts off the pulley with an impact that attaches to the balancer.

As far as the water pump deal, The pulley to the water pump I pulled but the water pump is still on the cover itself I was going to pull it as one unit together, but good Buddy of mine who’s a mechanic told me to put them on separate but at the same time he’s not here looking at this with me and he said it’s been a while since he’s touched a Taurus

·
Registered
717 Posts
The pulley to the water pump I pulled
You could double-check the return hose that is normally hiding behind the waterpump pulley and make sure it is not that connection that is leaking.
mechanic told me to put them on separate but at the same time he’s not here looking at this with me and he said it’s been a while since he’s touched a Taurus
The small bolts only attach the waterpump to the cover. The large bolts go all the way through into the engine block. See Haynes pages 2A-13 and 3-6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could double-check the return hose that is normally hiding behind the waterpump pulley and make sure it is not that connection that is leaking.

The small bolts only attach the waterpump to the cover. The large bolts go all the way through into the engine block. See Haynes pages 2A-13 and 3-6.
I’ve double triple and multiply checked it before I got started on the job. When I noticed it wasn’t the WP I got to researching more on this car and coolant leaks, etc and it lead me to the finding of it being the TC so I furthered my research on how to do this yourself and called garages plus an estimated range on the cost of every part I was gonna need etc.

Im not kidding when I said I’ve spent many countless hours and days searching the web and talking with people then it led me here so thought I would join and talk about it and explain my situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts