Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
TAURUS TO THE RESCUE!!! The Car That Saved Ford, Will Save Ford again, if they Make the AWD, 6 Speed, SHO with that lovely 4.4L Yamaha Motor. Let's face it, Us Old Guys want something with Muscle and Looks. My Lease on The Fusion is up Jan. 08 and I was considering a Challanger....BUT, if Ford Plays their Cards Right? New 08 SHO???

Taurus Story in Business Week: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8N48NI80.htm

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just heard the news on the ride back into work from lunch today. I'm excited! I think this is the best news that has come from the Ford camp in a while. where are the 500's built anyway? I wonder if they'll reopen the plant in Atlanta now? I kinda doubt it, and I also highly doubt that there will ever be another SHO, but on the other hand I thought the Taurus was gone for good, so who knows? Maybe now I'll buy another Ford product again sometime in the future. I know many disagree with me, but the Taurus was the ONLY Ford product that ever really interested me. I don't really care for the new Mustang, even vehicles as impressive as the GT...if I had that kind of money I'd rather buy a C6 Z06, and have enough left over for a new house. I'm not going to buy any pre-owned cars anymore after my recent fiasco. So this decision opens up a Ford product as a possibility for a future purchase for me.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Too little too late. The Taurus name was severly tarnished because of the jellybean shape. The Gen 4 restyling helped, but it never really recovered. Them assigning it rental only duty sealed the deal, and now thats all a Taurus is known as.

Ford put to much into thier trucks, and let the Taurus widdle away.

I'm glad they are keeping the name though, hopefully they will come out with something more upbeat and sporty to get the rental car image out of everyones head.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Well i for see some good things you may have knocked the jellybean shape but it did not ruin the car infact its radical design sent it to the number 1 selling car in both 96 and 97 model years.

what ruined the car was constant decontening the car and never updating its powertrain. among other hings

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I may be slightly biased towards the Taurus side of this argument, but I do have a lot to say about this.

First off, I was dissapointed in Ford when they killed the Taurus ... Ford would not be here today if it wasn't for the Taurus.

The first Taurus was aimed at European cars. Styling was borrowed from Audi. Not only did it have desireable styling at the time
the Taurus had a lot of innovations for it's time. It was the first affordable family sedan to have 4 wheel independent suspension. The
SHO model was a fast car with a very low price. Ford did pretty much the same thing with the Five Hundred; they made a car that was
similarly styled to nicer German and Jap cars and gave it a price tag starting at less than 30,000.

The Taurus (especially 96-07) was one of the safest cars on the road. I have seen pictures, seen accidents and I know people that
should not be here today ... but they are becuase the Taurus saved their life. It was a very safe car.

It was a strong seller, despite its problems. The AXOD trans (which evolved into AXODE and AX4N) wasn't that great; it would
die, the Essex blew headgaskits and the 3.4 yamaha would have cam failures. It seems after 2000 they got the transmissions
sorted out mechanically, but they still left a bit to be desired.

And a lot of people think the Taurus has an image of fleet queen. It does most recently to people pay attention. But most people
don't really look into cars that much ... moreso fords ... and moreso than that the Ford Taurus. A Taurus fleet car was a great bargain.
Most fleet cars aren't driven hard and they are turned over before fleet use gets to them. The Taurii coming off of fleet
service are a hell of a deal right now; you can get a car with 30000 miles for $13000 ... I don't think that is a bad deal at all. For
that price, you aren't going to get a 5 second 0-60 or a 10 second quarter mile, but it's always going to start and
it's going to get you there safely.

Now, when they killed the Taurus I was dissapointed. Ford itself said the Five Hundred was not the replacement.. But I can't think of
a better replacement. Myself, I would like to drive a Five Hundred/Taurus for my next car.

The Five Hundred is bigger, safer and faster than the Taurus ... what else is there to desire. The 4 speed auto trans, like I said
earlier, left a bit to be desired. I haven't had time to keep up on it lately, but it seems that the CVT and 6 speed transaxles
are much better than the AXOD and AX4N. The 3.0D Durated was the top engine in the Taurus (besides SHO and Essex). It proved
to be a reliable engine With the new 3.5, the Five Hundred is going to be pretty fast ... and still cheap.

The safety I find most appealing. Safety almost killed ford
in the 50s, but it is definitely a good thing for them now - if Ford wants to make bland cars (that's what everyone says), safety
will be a great selling point. Every time I get in my Taurus, I feel safe. Not to the point that I am waiting to drive into a tree
or Drive down an embankment and get T-Boned by a train (true story), but I know that I'm pretty safe. I've been in other cars,
Focus, Bonneville, Grand Am, Grand Prix and they just didn't feel like they had the safety that Taurus had.

I'm sure a lot of Five Hundred people are mad, and I completely understand why. Ford made the Five Hundred for a few years
and now they are rebadging it a Taurus. If you say that this is a discrase to the Five Hundred's name, you are wrong. The
Taurus had some pretty big shoes to fill. Taurus name, you would also be wrong - the Five
Hundred starts where the Taurus left off - bigger, safer and a better powertrane.

I think Ford made the right advancement here, reguardless of the name.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Woah...some dedicated fans over there :blink:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
This is a poor idea. :curse: Oh well, guess we now have a 5G!

Does this mean I have to redesign the header again? :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whats all this talk about only buying if there is the 4.4L yamaha engine. The 2008 five hundred/ fusion comes with the new 3.5L duratec, 260hp so that should be plenty of power for some fun driving, more powerful than any SHO engine, thats for sure.

As for the interior, I dont think I speak for only myself when I say its a night and day difference between it and the gen 4 interior. If anyone checked out a 500 before, youll notice they changed the shifter, upgraded some materials, added a new guage cluster and some other small changes.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
They should have named it enzo ferrari

I still won't buy one

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Hourray For The Taurus.... I tell ya i'll be in the line up for a test drive

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
An interesting move. I do like the interiors with the navigation already wired. I just hope they have some sort of sport edition or style, and not just make it like a midsize luxury car.
[/b]
It'll be a fullsize.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is great! Now TCCA is not just a "nostalgia" site. Just think of the '08 500 as a major redesign over the '06 Taurus. This is what we all really wanted isn't it? The '08 will be the biggest, fastest, safest Taurus ever!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I don't see why FIve Hundred owners are getting so upset over it. It's going to be basically the same car. The Five Hundred has next to ZERO name recognition.

"What kind of car do you drive?"
"A Five Hundred."
"Who makes that? Is it a Chrysler?"

I'm not sure if calling it Taurus is the right move at this time with what the Taurus had become recently...especially in the '06 and '07 model years. But it might work, it worked for Nissan with the Altima. :dunno:

I don't care what they call it....just build a good car.

41 - 60 of 252 Posts