Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I decided it was time to get the Merc on the road. My aunt and uncle showed interest in buying my wife's old Saturn wagon so I figured now is as good of a time as any to do the switch.

A couple days ago I replaced the coil, wires, and plugs which took care of the rough running and cyl1 misfire(the old owner changed all the plugs but #1 hence the misfire). I also replaced some of the leaking vacuum lines. I still hear a hissing that I need to find but it is running well. I also got the AC working and it's ICE cold so the wife is really happy about that.

This morning I put it on the road and was able to take it for it's first REAL drive. The front rotors and pads were so bad it was making a TON of noise(that it didnt make the day I bought it). Tor rotors were worn down horribly, and the pads were almost to the backing plate. I also heard a bad ratteling at the left front end. I did the front rotors and pads and it made a WORLD of difference in breaking and no more noise. I found what the ratteling was though and I'm not happy...... the left front coil broke and the broken peice was in there just making tons of noise.:angry:

Tomorrow I have to do the rear brakes cause they are just as bad(if not worse) than the fronts. On a good note though....... it runs and shifts nicely. It actually shifts nicer than my 05 freestar does. Either way I look at it...... it's going to be almost like a new car by the time I'm done replacing the parts that have seemed to never been replaced eventhough I was told that they were. All in all..... I have about $1650 into the car including the purchase price so I think I'm ahead of the game....

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
awesome. i hope it gives you years of trouble free service after you get it all taken care of. some of my best cars cost me less then $1000.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome. i hope it gives you years of trouble free service after you get it all taken care of. some of my best cars cost me less then $1000.
I've had TONS of sub $600 cars that lasted a long time with minor maintenance, but those days are gone cause of the CFC garbage and the economy. So far I'm really liking this car and wouldnt mind getting in it rather than my Tbird with the wife and kids. the bird has been the 'family car' but all that's about to change.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
T-bird for a family car....that must be a tight fit!

Congrats on getting it on the road!

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
T-bird for a family car....that must be a tight fit!

Congrats on getting it on the road!
Believe it or not, it really isnt all that bad and I'm a big guy(6'4"). It's tight when you add in all the stuff of driving a distance, but on the typical trips that we took it's a pretty comfortable car. Mind you it's a 96 so it's pretty roomy inside. 2 kids in booster seats in the back, my wife and I up front isnt all that bad. We took a trip to syracuse and back (was about 1000 miles total in 3 days) and it was a nice ride. I could NOT have even thought about doing that in the Saturn wagon she had. The sable has rediculous amounts of room so I'm happy!

My local boneyard has a 2000 taurus and sable so tomorrow I'm going to call them to see what they want for the complete strut assembly so I can get that fixed and feel better about having the wife driving the car. I should just get a new set of quick struts for the front, however I need to put money twards tires as well and money is tough after the wife lost her job, so if I can just get it functional again and not broken, having new tires is more important than new struts when I can get a suitable replacement that should last a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts