Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was backing out of the driveway this evening, going to pick wifey up from her Christmas party in Philly, had a car about 150 yards away away, started backing out...BOOM.

I'll have pix later. The car is likely totaled, though. The rear bumper was ripped off, the trunk is twisted, the passenger rear quarterpanel is twisted, passenger rear door is pushed forward and away from the body, C pillar is buckled, and the passenger rear tire is toe'd way in.

I'm waiting for a tow right now.

My right shoulder is sore as hell, but it's alright. I'll live.

As for fault, the cops didn't assign fault, because while he didn't even hit the brakes, I have to yield to traffic already in the road.

I'm going to go pick up the police report tomorrow afternoon, and try to appeal the ruling on it. It's a 25 MPH zone, and he was far down the street when I was backing out. No yaw marks and no skid marks. Didn't even tap the brakes.

JR

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
sucks, at lease your alright.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sounds like he was doing 35+ (I'm guessing its the same car). That's way too much damage to be a 25. That, and you would have had a good 12 seconds assuming your distancing is right if the other car was doing 25.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Wow... good luck with getting it appealed. :)

(that is meant to be serious, not sarcastic)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...based on the speed limit of the road, and the amount of time that I SHOULD have had, based on a speed limit of 25 MPH, I'm hoping that his insurance company will have to accept fault, but for now, I'm going to have to pay my deductible and fight for it back.

Here are some night pictures. The car was towed on a flatbed last night, and I'm going to head to the shop this afternoon and try to get some better pictures of it.

[attachmentid=28092]

[attachmentid=28093]

[attachmentid=28094]

[attachmentid=28095]

We owe about $8K on the car, but it's worth $15K, via the NADA guide and KBB. Thank God, we won't end up backwards in our payments and owing the financing company any money! If they do total the car, we should at least walk away with $5-7K that we can use for a down payment on a new car for her...

Updates as they come...

JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to get a MazdaSpeed3. I freaking love them.

Unfortunately, the wife wants a Bimmer, so it'll likely be a 300Ci, used, of course.

Last week, she found a very nice 06' 330Ci with 20K on it, auto, loaded, for about $21K. We'll see.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Ouch! Good luck with the insurance companies. I guess if you're gonna get tapped in the ass, that's the best kind :unsure:
[/b]

The guy must of thought JR's wife was driving at the time :rofl2:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
sorry about the car man, but glad you're ok. good luck with the insurance companies. no way thats a 25mph hit, doesnt seem like you should be at fault here.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Glad you're OK - car is replacable but it's still a pain in the ass to deal with.

I don't know if it's available in the US but my new Accord is specifically insured for full replacement. It costs $70 a year and if the car is deemed to be written off, my insurance company replaces it with a brand new Accord.

The 330s are nice cars. I think you'll enjoy driving one, especially on a road course.

Hope your shoulder get better soon. Percocet works great for shoulder pain, so I hear :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yeah there is a company (Allstate?) That had a commercial about how if your new car gets totaled within 1 model year or something like that, they will pay for a new replacement car.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Bummer JR, I am glad you are okay.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
At least you were near home and didn't sustain a major injury...good luck with the insurance company.

Maybe a little Vicodin ( :noes: ) or Percocet (like Markus suggested) can assist through the recovery process.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Glad you're OK - car is replacable but it's still a pain in the ass to deal with.

I don't know if it's available in the US but my new Accord is specifically insured for full replacement. It costs $70 a year and if the car is deemed to be written off, my insurance company replaces it with a brand new Accord.
[/b]
I really like that deal. $70 a year is not bad at all. Is there a certain age for the car at which they stop offering that?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Yeah there is a company (Allstate?) That had a commercial about how if your new car gets totaled within 1 model year or something like that, they will pay for a new replacement car. [/b]

You're correct. That is Allstate. This is straight from the website:

Accident Forgiveness
Helps keep your rates from going up just because of an accident. Even if it's your fault. Deductible RewardsSMYou'll get $100 off your Collision deductible the day you sign up. And then $100 off every year you go without an accident. Up to $500 total.New Car Replacement (optional)If your new car gets totaled in the first three model years, you may be able to get a totally new car - not just a check for the depreciated value. [/b]
IMO Allstate is a great insurance company to be with. My family has been with them for years and they've always taken care of us. Any word on the car JR?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the kind words, guys...

I forgot that my house key was on the keychain I gave to the tow truck driver last night, so I had to stop by the shop today. Guess who was there?

So, I talk to the adjuster...

I spoke with him about the accident, and his best estimate is $5700, but that’s before they tear into it. Obviously, there is usually more once they start removing body panels and such. I also think they’re going to be doing some suspension work in the rear end, as the alignment on the passenger rear tire looks WAY off. The passenger rear tire was punctured, and they pro-rate tires, so he estimated it at $66. Unfortunately, the tire they want to put on is an OEM replacement (Toyo), and they’re pieces of shite, so I’m going to probably have to put four new tires on. I’ll be able to put much better tires on, though. Probably Kumho Ecsta ASXs...well, that depends on if she's going to keep the car for a couple more months, or not.

If it ends up being a "get the car back and sell it asap" deal, then I'll just buy two ****** Toyos and put them on.

Unfortunately, we don't have rental insurance on that car, so she's probably going to end up driving the Taurus for the next three weeks, while I'll be driving her dad's 91' S-10 pickup. It's pretty bad, but it's better than paying $250/week for a rental car!

I did do some math when I got into work this morning, and using Google Earth, I was able to determine that from the point at which I saw him, to the point at which he hit me, he would have had 400 feet, and if he was going 25 MPH, like he said he was, that would have given him 10.9 seconds to slow down, stop, or swerve. However, I think he was going closer to 45, at which speed, he’d only have 6 seconds to slow down. In any case, even 6 seconds should have given him plenty of time to at least TRY to hit the brakes. He said that his tires locked up and he hydroplaned, but I’m pretty sure that his car has ABS, so I don’t buy it. I’m going down to the police station this afternoon to pick up the police report, and I’m going to try to get them to reassess the fault of the accident. I’m also going to call the senior claims investigator tomorrow and see what I can do on that end. I discussed this stuff with the claims adjuster today at the shop, and he said that the explanation and all the calculations seem plausible enough to him, that the investigator should at least try to get the other company to pay for it.

In any case, I called my doctor this morning about the shoulder, and they said they don’t do car accidents, and that I’d have to call my car insurance company to have them assign me a doctor or emergency room to go to. I called them, and they passed me along to a person who wasn’t at their desk. Never did hear back from her…

The 330s are nice cars. I think you'll enjoy driving one, especially on a road course.

Hope your shoulder get better soon. Percocet works great for shoulder pain, so I hear :unsure:
[/b]
I don't think I'd mind the 330 so much if I didn't HATE BMW drivers down here. I live in a pretty well to do town, and they're everywhere, and they think they own the road.

Just last night, right after the accident, my neighbor came outside to help out...brought a flashlight to kinda tell drivers, "go around". Anyway, he's like 6', 200 pounds, easy enough to see, right? A douche in a red BMW convertible actually drives right up to him, like 2 feet away, and starts honking his horn for us to get out of his way, before the cops got there. Then, he started screaming **** about how we were getting in his way and he'd call the cops.

Just pure bullshit.

I'll probably have some fun driving it, though. I wish she'd opt for the manual transmission, but she does a lot of stop and go on the way to work (5 mile commute, but slow), so she'd probably go nuts with a clutch.

I took some Tylenol PM last night, and I've been popping Excedrin Back and Body today, and the shoulder feels pretty good, but when I try to lift something, I can definitely feel it.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
why would you have insurance and not have rental and towing included.
i think i add 12 bucks a year for both with the caddy and maybe another 12 for the taurus and
the vic now.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts