Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
its the shaft below runs the butter flys ...the bushings are worn out causing a small air leak ,, causing a miss fire at idle and causes a lean code po171,po174 ,, below the injectors,, had my car smoke tested thats the smoke was at,, is there a bushing kit i can buy ,, how does a person fix this,,, in my picture below ,, it shows the rod going to both butter flys,, the rod on the bottom is the bushing i need to be replaced its got a air leak my mchanic told me this a common problem,, i dont know how to fix it ,, might have to go to the jy ,, trying to find pictures or diagrams of the lower intake manifold ,, the picture of the lower manifold was from ebay,, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
I think you're referring to the intake manifold runner control (imrc). If you can find them, those white plastic linkage bushings are Ford part# F5RZ-9F955-AB. Years ago in the Help! section at Advance Auto you could get the Dorman #47099 bushings 5pack for $2.88. Iirc, alot of folks on here left the 2 butterflies permanently closed without issue. You can simply unplug (elec.) the controller box on the front cam/valve cover or disconnect the linkage and/or cable. Again, iirc, they only open at ~3500rpm. May search the forum for "imrc" threads for more info. I vaguely remember replacing a few bushings on my '98/'99 tecs when they broke/fell off. The imrc big square metal controller box sits mounted to the front cam/valve cover. Many people had trouble with the cable fraying inside the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you're referring to the intake manifold runner control (imrc). If you can find them, those white plastic linkage bushings are Ford part# F5RZ-9F955-AB. Years ago in the Help! section at Advance Auto you could get the Dorman #47099 bushings 5pack for $2.88. Iirc, alot of folks on here simply closed/sealed off the 2 butterflies permanently without issue. Again, iirc, they only open at ~3500rpm. May search the forum for "imrc" threads for more info. I vaguely remember replacing a few bushings on my '98/'99 tecs when they broke/fell off. The imrc big square metal controller box sits mounted to the front cam/valve cover. Many people had trouble with the cable fraying inside the box.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuhpJLf0CPE&t=3s i am going to check my bushing found on you tube ,, mines not a bushing problem ,, the shaft is leaking air where it conects to the butterflys, the you tube video does talk about the box on the valve cover
it
I think you're referring to the intake manifold runner control (imrc). If you can find them, those white plastic linkage bushings are Ford part# F5RZ-9F955-AB. Years ago in the Help! section at Advance Auto you could get the Dorman #47099 bushings 5pack for $2.88. Iirc, alot of folks on here simply closed/sealed off the 2 butterflies permanently without issue. Again, iirc, they only open at ~3500rpm. May search the forum for "imrc" threads for more info. I vaguely remember replacing a few bushings on my '98/'99 tecs when they broke/fell off. The imrc big square metal controller box sits mounted to the front cam/valve cover. Many people had trouble with the cable fraying inside the box.
its the rod below lower manifold where the injectors are opens the butter flys my bushing didnt fall but its bad letting air into the manifold causing a air leak ,, ,, i called the ford dealer they told me they dont have any bushings or manifolds,,, and would have to go to a jy ,,,Amazon.com: Ford OEM New Bush F5Rz-9F955-Ab: Automotive is this the bushing,, i never thought about sealing off the 2 butterflys,, hopefully i can replace the bushing,, didnt know square box i will check that out

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
Iirc, you can simply unplug (elec.) the box to leave the butterflies closed. Or disconnect the linkage and/or cable. Cable is spooled inside the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iirc, you can simply unplug (elec.) the box to leave the butterflies closed. Or disconnect the linkage and/or cable. Cable is spooled inside the box.
kind of a stuipid question ,, i am trying to clean carbon from a lower intake manifold that i got from a JY , my lower intake manifold is bad , it has the butter flys i was cleaning with carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner and i cleaned it and let sit over night,, the next day the butter flys were stuck shut would not open ,, i kept trying to open them finally i did only because of using the carb cleaner, am i using right cleaner to clean the lower intake manifold ,, i wanted clean it before it goes on the car ,, thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i cleaned my taurus dohc lower intake today ,, the purple power works awsome and its bio degradable ,, and it cleans so much and its only 3.99 at autozone and other places sell this,,
i cleaned my taurus dohc lower intake today ,, the purple power works awsome and its bio degradable ,, and it cleans so much and its only 3.99 at autozone and other places sell this
[/QUOTE i used throttle body cleaner and cleaned my taurus lower intake manifold and i let sit over night and the butter fly were stuck shut had to try free it finally i did ,, its the same thing happend to my throttle body with the throttle body cleaner, the throttle body stuck closed when i was at a stop sign it would not let me push the gas pedal i ruind my throttle shaft,,, i just cleaned my throttle body then drove my car,,,, i had to buy another throttle body at the JY,, i would recommend the power DOHC LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD for my 1997 ford taurus

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think you're referring to the intake manifold runner control (imrc). If you can find them, those white plastic linkage bushings are Ford part# F5RZ-9F955-AB. Years ago in the Help! section at Advance Auto you could get the Dorman #47099 bushings 5pack for $2.88. Iirc, alot of folks on here left the 2 butterflies permanently closed without issue. You can simply unplug (elec.) the controller box on the front cam/valve cover or disconnect the linkage and/or cable. Again, iirc, they only open at ~3500rpm. May search the forum for "imrc" threads for more info. I vaguely remember replacing a few bushings on my '98/'99 tecs when they broke/fell off. The imrc big square metal controller box sits mounted to the front cam/valve cover. Many people had trouble with the cable fraying inside the box.
i just bought a original 1997 mercury sable /ford taurus shop manual for $2.75 and 5 dollars shipping on ebay,, i was tired of the taurus manual from autozone was not very helpfull

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts