Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i have the extended harness thjat doesnt have an acc wire, i have torun one seperate...
Ah yeah your right. The red wire should be on harness that comes from your head unit.

Nice I've got the factory "wood grain" trim on mine.
Yeah thats what ima put in. The dark woodgrain... but if I dont like the looks of black and woodgrain.. then Ill have the woodgrain chromed. Black and chrome is always nice.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
FYI.

I just did the resistor trick to my car so I could put an older stock radio back in my car without the airbag off light. I wired in the resistor and every time I'd plug the radio back in the airbag light would come back on on the dashbaord. I ended up figuring out that I needed to pull the two wires out of the harness so they would not connect to the radio, causing the airbag light to come on.

Just figured I'd post this in case someone else tries the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
FYI.

I just did the resistor trick to my car so I could put an older stock radio back in my car without the airbag off light. I wired in the resistor and every time I'd plug the radio back in the airbag light would come back on on the dashbaord. I ended up figuring out that I needed to pull the two wires out of the harness so they would not connect to the radio, causing the airbag light to come on.

Air bag mod is for aftermarket only. To reinstall stock you need to take the resisted back out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wish I could install the kit with ECC instead. The other kits look different and appear uglier with the crappy looking defrost button and airbag light.

Has anyone ever converted the dial controls to ECC using the aftermarket kit?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I wish I could install the kit with ECC instead. The other kits look different and appear uglier with the crappy looking defrost button and airbag light.

Has anyone ever converted the dial controls to ECC using the aftermarket kit?
Yeah, TaurusKev converted his setup from manual to electronic. He used the stock Ford control panel, but if you follow his write-up then you can just use the aftermarket kit's faceplate in place of the Ford control panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a speaker Harness that you can purchase to run from the Trunk to the Dash for the aftermarket radio? And if so, where would you buy one, and do you have any suggestions for running it? Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Metra now makes a kit with the airbag lite in it.
Yes, they do. Tonight, I installed the new kit with the airbag light in it. I tried calling Metra for an answer on which pins you put the airbag light wires that are basically just hanging out of the dash kit itself. I was on hold for 10 minutes after I explained to "technical support" what I had run into. I got frustrated and hung up at that point. (Sorry I don't have actual pictures of what is included with the kit.)

Luckily, I work on cars for a living and I have access to alldata. I was able to find the diagram and connector view for the passenger airbag on/off light and found which wires went to ground and which ones went to power.

If you look at the main connector for the front panel, (connector C2009 on the diagram) there is a tan/light blue wire and red/yellow wire. The red wire from the airbag light goes on pin 3 and the black wire goes on pin 5 of the harness. The wires click into the connector from the aftermarket dash kit, and you plug it into the factory connector.

Here is the connector view for a better idea of where the pins go:

Overall, I'm impressed with this kit because of the quality, how well it works with the dash, and how easy they made it to install other than not mentioning where the airbag light wires go in the connector. I guess they leave it up to the professional installers? Anyway, with this information, you can retain the passenger airbag light and not have to have someone else charge you money to install.

If I'm not being totally clear, I can try and answer whatever questions you have. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just bought the O4-O7 Metra 99-5717 dash kit with airbag light on ebay NEW in "open box" for $40 shipped. While it certainly doesn't look as good as the stock dash piece, it does look nice. And my new Pioneer CD player with USB and aux ports sounds a LOT better than that POS Ford installed in it. Once I figured out how to run the long thick bunch of wires through and hooked it all up, everything works fine, my only complaint is with the temp control in the center. the cool (blue) half lights up bright, while the warm (red) is dull. It really kills me how crappy the Taurus system sounds when compared with other Fords I have owned. The 04 Focus was a cheaper model, and had a badass Mach system. The 07 Fusion the wife has now sounds amazing... No subwoofer, but you wouldn't think so!

This was the most difficult aftermarket car headunit install I have ever done. WTF was Ford thinking with the control unit in the trunk? And the retarded combined radio/heat/ac unit? Routing the wiring from the trunk to the dash is a completely unnecessary pain in the a**, let alone having to buy a stupid overpriced dash part. That is why I waited over a year to do it, I refuse to pay over $100 for a piece of plastic and a wiring harness.

DEH-2200UB - CD Receiver with iPod® Direct Control and USB Input | Pioneer Electronics USAJust got this at Walmart with 6.5" speakers (sold to a friend) on clearance for only $60 for my Taurus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI.

Waiiiiiiiit....... youre saying you DONT need a resistor? You just pull / cut those wires!?!?!? :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gonna be doing this install myself soon. The airbag aint gonna like activate or some crazy **** when I mess with the light wires right? Lol, my friend somehow managed to blow his out when he was doing a DIY install on his vw. I'm sorta iffy about doing it myself.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Gonna be doing this install myself soon. The airbag aint gonna like activate or some crazy **** when I mess with the light wires right? Lol, my friend somehow managed to blow his out when he was doing a DIY install on his vw. I'm sorta iffy about doing it myself.
If you're worried about it, unplug your battery and wait 3mins. It's good practice to do so anyway when you work on any electronics.

I installed a full aftermaket system without doing so and had no problems though.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Tomorrow, all this is going in. Not pictured are is the sub and amp, buying those next week, but gonna run the wire while I have everything apart. Any tips on where I should run the harness wiring? Also sorry if it was explained already but I wanna make sure I get the airbag hooked up where itll still work without the light. Speakers are gonna take some customization too to install since none of them match factory size. Will I have sections of metal to drill new holes?

*started today*

Can't get the factory bulls*** to come out with the coat hangers. Any tips?

·
Registered
612 Posts
You can get the DIN removal tool at walmart for like $5 if not just fiddle with it side to side till you pop it loose

Ps whered you get your adaptor and how much?

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 airbag mod i need help

Bought this salvage taurus 04 no radio all harnesses cut off. I ran all new speaker wires to each corne. Ran 12v from battey, new remote on, ground. Works awesome.ecu went bad had replaced car is like new now only airbag light stays on. The mechanic couldnt clean from computer. Im guessing it needs this resistor between a set of wires. I located brown/blue wire and two red/yellow wires nor sure what to do. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI Crutchfield says that you have to remove the fact. radio support that is attached in the back........................ just sayin ! I remember reading that on their website. I used the Scocse...or however you spell it, and my head unit looks good.Sounds good too ! ( For a really HYBRID System......lol ) Kenwood KDC-X996 head unit, Kicker door speakers 3-way, Pioneers in the rear deck 4-way, Alpine Power Pack mini amp installed inside the dash 90watts, Rockford Fosgate Prime amp 250 watts, and a Rockford 10" sub. It does'nt wake the neighbors or bother people, but step inside the car and it sounds good,, sub is rock solid and fills in the music nicely. I'm 44 yrs old,,,, but would love more power, but with age i have become a little softer.................. But still may add a larger amp............hehe

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.