Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
OP,
Apparently, some key photos are gone and the remaining instruction is incomplete. Is the mod basically connecting the 10K resistor between Brown/Blue and Red/Yellow wires?
Thanks.

EDIT: According to PM from OP, the mod is connecting a 10k resistor between Brown/Blue and Red/Yellow wires.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Okay, so what if someone wanted to add their own LED. Let's say, for example, they wanted to have that light on, no reason why, just like it.

Would an LED be wired in place of the resistor?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Jan 25 2010, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=781569
Okay, so what if someone wanted to add their own LED. Let's say, for example, they wanted to have that light on, no reason why, just like it.

Would an LED be wired in place of the resistor?[/b]
I don't know why we need the 10k resistor or how the air bag circuit is designed.

Assuming the two wires have 12V between them, you cannot put an LED directly between them. Too high a current will blow LED up. You need 500 ohm resistor (or slightly higher) in series with LED to limit the current to 20 mA ot slightly lower.

But again, not knowing what the 10k resistor is for, I cannot recommend LED.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had gotten a resistor with the American International kit. The installation instructions (which was an extra, loose page inserted into the actual instruction) doesn't describe the type of resistor that came with my kit. In other words, the instructions for the airbag bypass don't match the parts supplied.

The resistor that came with the American International kit is a black block with four wires (in two pairs). One of the pairs are a larger gauge red and black wire. I used a multimeter to find the resistance and these wires gave me a reading of between 35 to 24 Ohm. The other two wires are both black. And they have 3, 2-pin harnesses at the end in a series. Again, there are three plugs (2-pin harness) in total on the smaller gauge black wires. I measured the resistance on these wires and my multimeter was reading 35K to 24K Ohms.

I assume that the wires with the 2-pin harnesses on them would be the correct ones to hook up to the brown/blue and red/yellow wires. But what the heck would the larger gauge red and black wires be for? Should I just tape these off?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Apr 24 2010, 10:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=799725
Could someone explain to me what this mod is for? I've read through this and, um, I don't get it.[/b]
'04-'07 models have an air bag light integrated into the radio's control panel. '00-'03 models do not have an air bag light in the control panel. Back a few years ago, there wasn't a kit for '04+ models so people had to use the '00-'03 dash kit for aftermarket radios. Because the computer did not see the air bag light, it would disable the passenger side air bag. This mod brings the air bag functionality back if you use an '00-'03 dash kit on an '04-'07 model.

·
Registered
832 Posts
oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh ok thank you. Sooooooo next question, has noone made a kit for 04-07? Or was there a time period when there wasn't any available? Basically, are they available now? Or does this need to be done with every kit made?

I am planning on putting an aftermarket stereo in, eventually, obviously I'd be able to tell just by looking at if i need to do this, no big deal. Just curious. Lots to be done before doing something I just want, and costs money.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
in the process of installing my system right now in my 04 sable, the dash kit was a breeze! Got it for 80 bucks right from best buy in the mall which seemed to be cheaper than most places, it has all factory connections for air bag light, defrost, and all the climate controls only thing I have to splice is the wires from the rcu and sub and amp, it is 1000x easier than what I though it would be after reading this

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need to revive this thread, I have found this link with a double din...but, it obviously has electronic climate controls. Now, the question is, can the plain rotary knobs be easily swapped to this electronic controller??? I wan't the double-din simply because it fills up the space a lot better and I can probably get the electronic climate control from the junk yard. But are they swappable?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_...cs_99-5719.aspx

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (trife96 @ May 7 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=802534
I need to revive this thread, I have found this link with a double din...but, it obviously has electronic climate controls. Now, the question is, can the plain rotary knobs be easily swapped to this electronic controller??? I wan't the double-din simply because it fills up the space a lot better and I can probably get the electronic climate control from the junk yard. But are they swappable?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_...cs_99-5719.aspx[/b]
Swappable, yes. Easy? No.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76272

·
Registered
26 Posts
What did you guys use for a 12v acc wire? assuming you ran a seperate harness from the back to the front ie bypass front deck entirely
I used the metra 5717 kit for the 03-07 taurus.

With it you connect the ford plug that went to the stock unit and it had my red, yellow, black, and orange wires I needed for the pioneer harness

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I used the metra 5717 kit for the 03-07 taurus.

With it you connect the ford plug that went to the stock unit and it had my red, yellow, black, and orange wires I needed for the pioneer harness

and the 12v acc wire is red.

BTW As soon as i get the woodgrain that Ill be adding .. Ill take the dash apart and update the pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
and the 12v acc wire is red.

BTW As soon as i get the woodgrain that Ill be adding .. Ill take the dash apart and update the pics.
Nice I've got the factory "wood grain" trim on mine.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.