Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the only driver of my car, so that means I only use 1 key. Last month, the battery went dead in one of the remotes, so I dig out the spare key and remote. After owning this car for over 3 years, and only using the one key, I discovered the spare key was hard to insert into the ignition, and made the lock cylinder hard to turn, where the key I've been using the last 3 years was like butter. I decided to stick to using the spare key, as of now it's no longer hard to insert or turn. I learned that lock cylinders and keys wear together. From now on, every 6 months or so, I'm going to alternate keys, so they both work smoothly in the lock cylinder. I was worried about the spare key messing up the lock, or just not working at all. I realized it's important to rotate the ignition keys over time, so they all wear evenly with the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2 X a yr. I also spray either TV tuner cleaner or silicon spray in each lock cyl. and then put in a puff of graphite.NEVER use any oil...like WD-40, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.