Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my codes and have none, I even did what my mechanic told me to do by switching from 87 oct. to 93 oct., and still have crappy gas milage??? 22 to 23 mpg's and that's hwy!!

he did mention something about vaccuum hose around the gas line or tank??

I'd at least like to get 25 to 27 on the hwy!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
c'mon... any takers?? I searched.. tried most everything.. except the rag in the tank theory!!! with match!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Air Filter Condition?
Is the MAF signal proper?
Manifold Vacuum at Idle?
What type of oil (synthetic or conventional idc about the brand as much)?
Hows your suspension?
Trans Fluid Condition?
Engine Oil Condition?
Last PCV change?
Extra Weight in vehicle?
How do you drive on the highway (5 over, 10 over, 15 over, etc)?
Hows the battery and alternator?
Last tune up?

A lot of different things effect your mileage Scruffman, and octane usually doesnt change much.
I have a feeling your running conventional oil because thats roughly what I got before I switched to synthetic.

btw aggressive city driving for me is now 18 mpg, defensive highway is 29

·
Banned
323 Posts
The only thing using a higher octane gas does is put more money in the pockets of big oil. Use the octane recommended by Ford. They built the engine. They know what it needs.

Proper tire inflation and easy on the gas pedal are 2 big ways for improving your gas mileage, as well as the above mention items....although I don't agree that synthetic oil is any better for gas mileage than mineral oil..if it was, Ford would tell you to use it. Opinions on this amongst the sheep are varied.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Higher octane gas actually contains slightly LESS energy content per gallon than 87 octane. This will result in LOWER gas mileage running 93 in an engine designed for 87.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only thing using a higher octane gas does is put more money in the pockets of big oil. Use the octane recommended by Ford. They built the engine. They know what it needs.

Proper tire inflation and easy on the gas pedal are 2 big ways for improving your gas mileage, as well as the above mention items....although I don't agree that synthetic oil is any better for gas mileage than mineral oil..if it was, Ford would tell you to use it. Opinions on this amongst the sheep are varied.
Ford recommends a synthetic blend of 5W-20 for my car and then decided in a TSB 5W-30 was better for fuel economy. I saw a minimum of a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy with full synthetic over pure mineral oil. But I also now run 10W-30 due to old rings :( and I cant seem to find Motorcraft 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic blend anywhere.

And I have heard using higher octane gas in some vehicles improves thier mileage which makes me think that through the wonders of adaptive learning the PCM would advance the ignition timing and make slightly more power reducing your need to hit the gas pedal so much. Though I did try it on my car and my mileage stayed the same and I just spent more on gas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll post a few opinionated thoughts on Taurus fuel economy, though I have little experience with Gen3's and 4's in that area.

1. You should be getting better economy if you drive normally (think 65 yr. old school teacher).

2. I am appalled at the lack of technical knowledge in the automotive service industry. If the problem ain't in a TSB, they have not a clue, it seems. They are great at getting you to part with your money, though. In that aspect of "technology", it is easy to scam the ignorant. (Bill Gates made billions doing this to the unsuspecting, just invent a problem and then provide an "answer" for a few bucks, of course).

3. A good auto mechanic probably needs to have an EE degree and years as as an apprentice before being turned loose on a Taurus.

4. I have experienced poor fuel economy on several occasions with Gen 1's. MAP sensor, TPS, and a bad injector topped the list. But I can also see how a bad pin connection somewhere could throw off the input to the computer. Other things have already been mentioned on this thread.

5. Most economy issues will show up as a code, but not all. I had one problem that never displayed a code, yet I was getting black smoke out the exhaust.

6. The EGR (if so equipped) must work properly, as well as the vacuum passages related to that device.

7. Ford, imho, has not done enough in this area of diagnostics of their very complicated systems. Nor have they done enough to support their cars after they are (10) years old or more.

I have downloaded a copy of an ex-Ford engineer's explanation of the operation of an EEC-IV computer, pin by pin. It's too big to post on this forum, but do a 'net search on info on the EEC-IV and it and others should come up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air Filter Condition? .......changed K&N
Is the MAF signal proper? did not check yet?
Manifold Vacuum at Idle? checked
What type of oil (synthetic or conventional idc about the brand as much)? 5/20
Hows your suspension? good
Trans Fluid Condition? replaced
Engine Oil Condition? great
Last PCV change? 3 months
Extra Weight in vehicle? YEP.. sub box and amp?? maybe 50 pounds
How do you drive on the highway (5 over, 10 over, 15 over, etc)? 8 to 10 over
Hows the battery and alternator? new and good
Last tune up? November

Alignment, tire psi, etc., etc....... alighnment straight as an arrow... psi per tire 37

Add dragging brakes, rusted caliper slide pins, bad calipers, bad brake hoses, etc.
new brakes, no dragging all brakes good..

and no peddal to the metal on take off...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Air Filter Condition? .......changed K&N
Is the MAF signal proper? did not check yet?
Manifold Vacuum at Idle? checked
What type of oil (synthetic or conventional idc about the brand as much)? 5/20
Hows your suspension? good
Trans Fluid Condition? replaced
Engine Oil Condition? great
Last PCV change? 3 months
Extra Weight in vehicle? YEP.. sub box and amp?? maybe 50 pounds
How do you drive on the highway (5 over, 10 over, 15 over, etc)? 8 to 10 over
Hows the battery and alternator? new and good
Last tune up? November

Alignment, tire psi, etc., etc....... alighnment straight as an arrow... psi per tire 37

Add dragging brakes, rusted caliper slide pins, bad calipers, bad brake hoses, etc.
new brakes, no dragging all brakes good..

and no peddal to the metal on take off...
Switch out the K&N for something else (I use a Fram Tough Guard). I recently cleaned and re-oild mine and my economy dropped to about 18 city and 24 Hwy. Idk why, but after I started using my K&N my economy dropped.

And yes Sheila, Wallyworld sells both Motorcraft synthetic blend oil and motorcraft oil filters.
Though I havent seen anything other than 5W-20, and my oil clearances are too high for 5W-20 from my own, and my fathers driving and the fact he ran 10W-30 in it (He's more of a deisel guy).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts