Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story begins in March of 2006 when I bought a used 2003 Taurus SE wagon with a duratec for my daily driver / work car. The wagons date of birth was January, 2003 and was a simple car. I became the 2nd owner with just under 23k miles on the clock. Our life togeather started out very simple, like most Taurus owners. But soon, I had ideas running around in my head to "dress up" this beautyfull wagon. I have always taken care of my cars, but there was just something special with this car.

I started off that summer of 2007 by adding some driving lights in the lower grill, some gutter guard mesh in both upper & lower grills, some LED strip lights under the headlights, an AVS hood deflector and tinted side back & rear windows. Soon I found TCCA and I entered the December 2007 COTM, my first attempt at entering the wagon in a contest. Little did I know what this would start when I won COTM 12/2007.

The next year was a long year of working on the car and trying to make it unique and ready for car shows. I did take the wagon to the Summit Racing all Ford show in 2008, but struck out. This only made me want to work more and when the spring of 2009 came around, I had a mission.

For 2009 I completely re-did the engine. All plastic parts were painted candy apple red and detailed. I painted the brake calipers, had a MACH stero installed, and just a general super detailing of the car. I only tried a couple shows that year, but finally came away with 2 trophies for the wagon.

2010 brought a new outlook for the wagon. I had alot of new ideas that nobody ever thought of trying on a taurus, let alone a wagon. I added more details to the brakes, some extra paint on the rear lights & headlights to blend them into the car better. I also created a chin spoiler from an extra bumper cover. I also covered over the back side windows with a color match vinyl for a "sedan delivery" look. I also did a drastic look for the hood of the wagon with a large flat black vinyl covering on the hood and a set of chrome '96 SHO rims. This brought in 6 trophies / awards for the wagon

2011 brought the best year for the wagon, as well as the most mods. These included new Goodyear Eagle GT's for the SHO rims, along with painting of the wheel pockets a metalic graphite. I also added a custom LeMans rocker stripe, floor shift console converted to a gauge console (trans temp & volt meter) with a 6 CD player in the console and custom painted dash. Drilled & slotted rotors (just for looks for the shows), SHO rocker covers, a billet aluminum gas cap cover, 2 more speakers in the tailgate for a total of 8 in the car, a SHO automatic trans cooler and once again, just super detailing on a daily driver. By the end of 2011, the wagon had a total of 24 awards to its name at some very important car shows in Ohio & Michigan. The wagon even made a few passes down the famed Woodward strip for the 2011 Dream Cruise.

The awards won by the wagon over a 3 year time.

December 2007 TCCA Car of The Month.
2009 N. Ridgeville Ohio Corn Festival, 2nd place in class Trophy (2000 & newer).
2009 Tradesman Tavern (Parma Ohio) show, 2nd place overall Trophy.
Aug. 29th 2010 Columbus Motorsports Mahem Show, Top 10 in class Trophy (1984 & newer).
August 2010 TSOC Car of The Month,.
Sept. 4th 2010 NMRA 32nd Ford Expo, National Trails Dragway, Directors Choice - Outstanding Achievment award, Daily Driver.
Sept. 5th 2010 NMRA 32nd Ford Expo National Main Event Show, Columbus Ohio, Outstanding Achievment award, Daily Driver.
Sept. 12th 2010 United Ford Owners All Ohio Ford Show, Columbus Ohio, Top 40 trophy, score 86 / 100.
Sept. 26th 2010 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio, Longest Distance Trophy, 196 miles one way.
Sept. 26th 2010 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio, 1st Place in Class Trophy (2000 & newer).
June 4th 2011 Maplegrove Modern Car Show, Willoughby Ohio. 1st Place in Class Trophy. (2000 - 2009 Class)
June 12th 2011 AMC Midwest Regonal & Orphans Car Show. Silver Trophy / Stock Class, score 177 / 200.
June 19th 2011 Cruise In At The Beach, Mansfield Ohio. Top 5 in Class Trophy. ( 1990 & Newer Class)
July 2nd 2011 Anchor Glass Container Show, Zanesville Ohio. Top 40 in Show Trophy.
July 2nd 2011 Newcomerstown Fire Department Show, Newcomerstown Ohio. Top 15 in class Trophy. (1990 & Newer Class)
July 23, 2011 8th Annual NMRA Ford Nationals, Milan Dragway, Michigan. Outstanding Achievment Trophy (Open Ford Class)
July 23, 2011 8th Annual NMRA Ford Nationals, Milan Michigan. Best in Show Daily Driver. 1st place trophy.
August 20, 2011 Woodward Dream Cruise / TSOC Best Wagon of 2010 Award
Sept. 4, 2011 NMRA 33rd Ford Expo, National Trails Dragway Main Event Show, Outstanding Achievment Trophy, Open Ford Class.
Sept. 11, 2011 United Ford Owners All Ohio Ford Show, Top 10 in Class Trophy, 1990 to Present Class.
TSOC 2010 Car Of The Year.
Sept. 25th 2011 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio. 1st in Class. (1981-2007 Open Ford)
Sept. 25th 2011 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio. Long Distance Award. (199.6 Miles)
Oct. 9th 2011 Ohio National Guard Benifit Show, Dover Ohio. TOP 40 Trophy (350+ entries)

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some better pics of the differant mods.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I never noticed the pinstriping on the wheels. The attention to detail is impressive.

Beautiful engine bay. Definitely jealous of that.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Love the engine bay. Think it's quite awesome.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Ahhhh, Lil Red. A true Taurus love story. One of the most famous rides on our site, for sure. Gone, but she'll never be forgotten. Thanks for the history post Dennis! The engine bay shots are my favorite!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh, Lil Red. A true Taurus love story. One of the most famous rides on our site, for sure. Gone, but she'll never be forgotten. Thanks for the history post Dennis! The engine bay shots are my favorite!

Yea Dan, not a day goes by that I dont find something stashed that I was going to put on the wagon. Its hard to beleave that its almost been a year since we parted ways. I do have some plans for Candy (2012 SEL) and her little sis Lil Red ('87 porsche 924s) this summer. Its just not the same though without the wagon... LOL

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
What happened to the wagon? I guess I'm behind here. I haven't been around that long though.

How did you get that engine bay painted? Or rather who did it.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
I actually just read up on it. It needed $3000 in repairs so he traded it into the dealer for his new 2012 SEL!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Sam, thats how I know so much about the oil seperator issue & sticking throttle. B) As much as I wanted to keep the car and continue what I was doing, I knew I had to cut my ties and part with it. I was able to still get good money for the trade while it was running good, and before it showed up on carfax or any of the other reporting sites. I didnt feel bad dropping it on the dealer like that, so thats when I went & found Candy.

OK, now for some more good info on the wagon.
Yes, I did 95% of the work myself. The only thing I didnt do was the black vinyl sheet on the hood, the LeMans stipes fown the side, the tail gate window tint and Nick installed my MACH tweeters & RCU. As far as the parts for the mods, I bough most of the parts from the local Pull A Part lots here in Ohio. I have 4 lots with within an hour of my home. As far as aftermarket parts, the billet grill, Autometer gauges, the drilled & slotted brake rotors and the driving lights are the only new parts I bought for the wagon. Everything else was bought used & modified or painted. The painting was all done with rattle cans in my garage. Not including the tires (the goodyear eagle gt's on the SHO rims) I would est that I had less than $1000.00 in total investment in the parts to bring the wagon tho a show winner level. I liked the idea that so much of what I did was all recycled parts and I was competeing with "classic & muscle" show cars and beating them. It just shows that with a little thinking you can do some great work. Im also glad that I could be an insperation to guys like Major & Sousa and who knows how many others with the wagon. Its that legacy that makes it all worth it.

OK, sorry if I got carried away on that... LOL :rolleyes2:

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
I would never be able to give up a car like that. I mean I don't have the money for a 2012 SEL, but still. It would be so hard for me to give up my sable.

What work did she need done exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would never be able to give up a car like that. I mean I don't have the money for a 2012 SEL, but still. It would be so hard for me to give up my sable.

What work did she need done exactly?
I was told by the dealer that it needed a new oil seperator, part of the PCV system. This is located in the valley of the block (3.0 duratec) and that at least 1 head would need to be removed along with the intake & related parts to change the valve. With all that work it was going to be just short of 3K to change that valve. Now here is the kicker, they werent 100% sure this would fix the problems completely & what other costs may be brought into the picture until they open everything up.

When I bought Candy, (the 2012 SEL) I really wasnt ready to buy a car either. I had just started a new job a month prior. The only thing that helped was the wagon was paid for, they gave me 5k for the wagon and I got a 0% interest loan from FMC. So it came down to the big picture, drop 3k+ on the wagon and hope that was the fix, of cut ties and buy a new one. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to drop another Duratec in there, rather than change the valve? Yeah, you might not have known all the service history, but I can't imagine a used motor would be that much.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to drop another Duratec in there, rather than change the valve? Yeah, you might not have known all the service history, but I can't imagine a used motor would be that much.
Well, in the long run it probably would have been around the same cost to swap out motors. By time you take the replacement motor apart & do maint on it plus labor & related work it may have been more. My other issue was it was my only car & I needed daily transportation since at that time I was working 6 - 12 hour days. There are a couple ways that I could have gone with that, but getting the new car was the best way to go due to the other reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I've been looking at the photos of your wagon trying to find the right words to compliment you on it, but all I can think of is to say: That's the best looking Taurus wagon I've ever seen. You did a truly outstanding job with it! Hope you like the 12 SEL as much as your old wagon. Are you planning on modding the new ride?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been looking at the photos of your wagon trying to find the right words to compliment you on it, but all I can think of is to say: That's the best looking Taurus wagon I've ever seen. You did a truly outstanding job with it! Hope you like the 12 SEL as much as your old wagon. Are you planning on modding the new ride?
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I love the '12, just wish theymade it as a wagon. :lol2: I have already done a few simple things to Candy.

A stainless steel lower grill.

MGP caliper covers.

Hood cowl detailing.

Ive also added Ford vent visors and splash guards. I do have a few other things planned for this year. I just got really busy with work last year and didnt have time to complete them.

The last time I drove the wagon, a final farewell photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That was a sweet wagon! Bittersweet farewell!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
DLC360
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing