Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I've had a little extra time away from work (due to weather and scheduling issues, I've been getting 8 hour days... :lol:), I decided to try and modify my intake baffle. I didn't have a digital camera available while I was doing it, though, so I had to settle for after pics of what I did. I also don't currently have access to a rotary tool (Dremel or otherwise) so I did all the cutting with a small handsaw and a hacksaw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/fapster/car%20stuff/ModifiedBaffle3.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

It isn't really a good shot, but I cut the baffle in half, essentially, removing the resonator cavity from the intake tube itself. This exposed the whistle hole, which I plugged using some scrap pressure-sensitive rubber that I got from work.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/fapster/car%20stuff/modifiedbaffle1.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/fapster/car%20stuff/modifiedbaffle1.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

I also noticed that the inside air sleeve didn't really have a good seal against the rest of the baffle, so I used some more pressure-sensitive rubber to seal it over the best I could. I also forgot to take a pic of it. I'm still not entirely happy, though, because the rubber is refusing to stay formed in, so it's blocking a little bit of air flow.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/fapster/car%20stuff/Placedbaffle.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/fapster/car%20stuff/Placedbaffle.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

This isn't the greatest shot of it, but this is what's left of the intake sleeve, when it's in. I left as much of the baffle body on it as I could, so that I wouldn't have to shim it into place. The's also still a slight gap between the fender-flange of the sleeve and the fender wall, which I tried to lessen with some high-quality foam weatherstripping, but there's STILL a slight gap. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Total time required: approximately 4 hours
Total cost: $5 on weatherstripping, the rubber was free leftovers from work

I'm gonna get a few more pics and maybe get an extra baffle from the salvage yard, so I can do a step-by-step walkthrough with pictures. It's not quite perfect, but until I can get some rubber adapters in the right sizes, I'm not going to try building my CAI. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, but I don't think I can beat BabySHO's job... however, I will be able to beat the price of an aftermarket kit by a lot!

Sorry about the length, but I'm pretty proud of how well I did with the limited tools and experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Technically a side note, but I got stopped by the po-lice tonight....


Problem #1: I hit 100kmh in a 50knh stretch. I REALLY didn't notice.
Problem #2: Constable What-iz-name said I was actually a little loud, and should tone it down...

But, said Constable wrote me a ticket for a100kmh in a 60, and actually behaved like a human being, so I won't argue this one... I realy didn't realize I was going that quick... the car is riding smooth with the spring-savers, and with the cut-out on the baffle, I really don't notice the extra OOOMPH.

Apparently, the cop did.

:(
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top