Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am an Norwegian with a Taurus 88 3.8 wagon.

I got a problem this weekend and i hope you can help me with it :)

It starts to overheating and it seem that the fan did not start when it get hot.
The fan is working but its not starting when the car is hot.

I hope you understand this and can help me with it.

tanx

Regards

Morten

·
Registered
397 Posts
HIGHLY unlikely, but check to see if there is an extended warranty.
Call your ford dealer.

See if the fan spins by hand, it should turn real easy.

AND, to see if power is getting to the fan, unplug it and put a multimeter on the plug.

It should read about 12 to 15 volts.

How do you force the fan to start? Turn on the cars AC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll bet that the fan motor itself has worn the brushes out, since the car is an '88.

If you put a meter or a battery powered test light across the motor terminals, do you have a complete circuit through the motor? (In other words, check for continuity.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan starts when i force to start the fan, but it don't start when the engine is hot.

Its difficulty to explain for me, but i force the fan to + and - on the plug, then the fan starts, but i think maybe its some sensor or something ?. Maybe the sensor, or something is broken?

Morten

·
Registered
389 Posts
The fan should start when the A/C is turned on. If it does, and it's anything like my '95, I'd guess it's the temp switch. The temp switch is on top of the radiator housing. Unplug it when the engine is running and the fan should start. Or, unplug the connector and probe the two pins in it with a VOM and you should get close to 0 ohms (when hot). Replace the sensor if you don't get the desired readings.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by msterri@Jul 7 2004, 09:34 AM
The fan starts when i force to start the fan, but it don't start when the engine is hot.
First, let's make sure the engine is hot enough for the fan to come on.

Does your Temperature gauge work? The fan isn't supposed to come on until the needle on the temperature guage is at least 3/4 of the way to Hot. That should be on about the "a" of "Normal". (I'm talking about the letters on the guage itself - I assume yours is this way.)

If your temperature guage is running between the "r" and "m" of Normal, your engine isn't Hot, it's at operating temperature. And the EEC computer expects it to run in this range. The car will go much farther on a tank of gas if this is where the engine temperature normally runs.

My '87 Taurus wagon will go AT LEAST 330 miles on a tank of gas; and 1 kilometer is 6/10 of a mile, so that's what, 528 km on a tank of gas? How is yours doing?

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by Jeckler@Jul 7 2004, 09:50 AM
The temp switch is on top of the radiator housing. Unplug it when the engine is running and the fan should start. Or, unplug the connector and probe the two pins in it with a VOM and you should get close to 0 ohms (when hot). Replace the sensor if you don't get the desired readings.
Yes look at that first. A lot of 3.8s come into my job with the same problem. About a $20 part

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeckler:

Its not starting when the A/C is turned on.
But i cant find the the temp switch. Are you sure its on the same place on a 88 ?

(how the temp switch look like? )

Morten

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan_in_WA:

my engine over heating all the time after i drive for 20-30 min. The fan didnt start.

I was driving across the mounten in Norway and when i go back home i fix that so the Fan going all the time. Then its not overheating and i have not problem with driving. But i cant do this all the time :)

Morten

(sorry for my bad english)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
there is a relay in your front fuse box. make sure it isn't bad.

The temperature sensor determines if the coolant is hot enough for the fan to be turned on. the sensor switches the relay, and the relay turns on the fan. SO there are only three possibilities:

1. bad fan motor. youv'e stated that when you connect it directly to the battery, it runs fine, right? Then, that's eliminated.

2. bad relay.

3. bad temperature sensor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gonna work with it do day, so tanx for the help everybody.

Regards

Morten

silvapain: Do you know where the temperature sensor is ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
silvapain :

1. its working
2. I dont find the relay :(
3. its the sensor in the ex... pipe? The front pipe.

I look at the electric there and suddenly the fan started.
I think i need new sensor.

I gonna take the car for a test drive to see if it overheating. I hope not, its diffecult to get parts for this car in Norway.

BTW: are there possible that the radiator is broken ? and how can i test that out?

Oki tanx again folks.

regards Morten

·
Registered
285 Posts
Best way to find your problems is to see what trouble codes the EEC computer has stored in it's memory. Here are the directions:

www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

Let us know if you have problems reading the computer codes, and let us know what codes come up. I can send you a diagram of the Coolant Temperature Sensor if you want it.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by msterri@Jul 8 2004, 05:23 AM
BTW: are there possible that the radiator is broken ? and how can i test that out?
If the radiator was broken you would have a coolant leak that would more then likely be noticeable.

Now a clogged radiator would be a different story. The insides of radiators can become clogged with a buildup of sediment and deposits if the radiator isn't flushed/serviced regularly. The buildup/sediments impede the free flow of coolant through the system and reduces its cooling efficiency. Flushing your radiator and changing your coolant yearly will reduce the possibility that this will happen. Being that your car is 22 years old, do you know the maintenance history of it at all? A clogged radiator could also contribute to your overheating situation but shouldn't have anything to do with the fan not coming on like you are experiencing.

This is not from a Taurus/Sable but still interesting to look at.

good luck with the fan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi
hightecredneck:

My car isn't 22 years old :) its only 16 years :)

I had a test drive to day, and i think the fan stated ok.
I think there is a problem with the elec. cables on the sensor. I take the sensor out and inn again, and it works.

I am going to change the sensor, its take some time, a week to order the new parts :(

No i don't know the maintenance history of it at all.

i have flush the radiator once. (The coolant was clean, no brown water)

i drive for one-two hours to day, no overheating.
But i have to look more and see if something else is wrong before i drive once more over the mountain

regards
Morten

·
Registered
285 Posts
You might look at ordering parts from Ford Parts Network. I've used them a few times and they are good; just beware of their online catalog system.

I have e-mailed Torrie directly; he responds fast and is 100% accurate so far.

There is a $7 USD packing charge, so the savings isn't great unless I order several parts at a time.

Here's the link: www.fordpartsnetwork.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts