Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my taurus has the CD Changer in the trunk. This thing really gets on my nerves. When it plays, it sounds great. Much better than anything with a tape adapter or over the radio, especially with compression on. However, when it wants to work, it is very picky about. It doesn't play well when it's hot, it doesn't play well when it's cold, and it doesn't play well going over 55 miles per hour (most of the time.) I've tried both regular CD's (which work slightly better than CD-R's, but still skip a ridiculous amount), crappy CD-R's (they don't work at all), and expensive CD-R's (they work okay.)

What I mean about it not playing well is that it just skips a ton, stops playing and tries to find where it was, starts, skips, skips, etc. (Why did they put this thing in the trunk next to one of the rear wheels? Why didn't they just have an in-dash CD player?)

Does anyone else have this problem or is mine just dying from being in my trunk for 11 years? Are there any ways to fix this?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
mine works fine except sometimes it doesnt want to play songs and it will just pop and skip to the middle and play like the last 30 seconds then it will work fine for a while again i would say your best bet is to replace it with a newer or less used changer

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
It was placed in the trunk because the gen 3 console was too small to put it in.
That's why ford redesigned the console of the gen 4 models ( unless you have the flip-fold, and you're back in the trunk again!). :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just worried about buying one off Ebay as all of those are listed as "used", so they could be just as bad or worse than this one. Is there a better place to buy one of these?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
you could put a wanted add up on the forum more then likely if the person is selling it it has been tested

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I have one out of a 2000 (it used to be Nick's) in my trunk...works fine. If yours is playing as you described, there's something wrong internally. Have you tried cleaning it? I don't know if that'll make any difference, but it's cheaper than replacing it. :)

I actually really prefer the changer in the trunk instead of the console - I'd rather have the room in the console for other things. But then, I have an in-dash CD player too.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Mine in the 03 does the same thing nowadays. It will skip and make clicking noises while playing tracks on CD's. The slightest bump in the road will cause it to skip or just stop playing in general. I'm hoping a quick run of cd lens cleaner will fix it up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you Google "audiovox clarion ford oem changer", you will find an oem reseller with both new and rebuilt units that plug right into the factory RCU.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried cleaning the lens a while back but it didn't seem to make a difference. I think that roasting in my trunk for so long has taken its toll. Now I just need to decide if dropping that much money is worth it...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I took apart a Gen 3 changer I got at the Pull A Part that looked like it was toast. It was literally coated in red clay dust everywhere (inside and out), and it had trouble reading discs, as well as switching discs. Discs were getting stuck/jammed. Using some rubbing alcohol I cleaned up everything inside (especially the rubber rollers that grab the disc). Also use an appropriate CD/laser cleaner.

See if that helps before replacement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Jul 13 2009, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739137
Step one: remove CD player
Step two: Throw in trash
Step three: connect ipod using PIE or something simialr.[/b]
I realize I am a NooB here, but I have over 30 years of car audio experience (amateur installation as a kid/professional sales & installation for some years after) and almost that much with computers. I've been a tech junkie since childhood (remember the first Sony Discman with a multi-C-cell battery pack? The early in-dash CD players with a separate processing box? The first Sony 10-disc CD changer for cars?).

If I were in a similar situation (dead CD-changer), I would do what the above poster suggested: put everything onto your iPod and use some type of OEM controller (PIE looks good) that interfaces to the Ford factory stereo, allowing control over the iPod via the radio buttons (just like the CD-changer). You are no longer limited to just six CD's and your entire music library can be at your fingers.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have a brand new Pioneer 12 disc plus an adapter with RCA AUX inputs laying around collecting dust. It's controlled by and works just like the factory radio. All it needs is an IP bus cable which is about $15 on ebay. PM me if interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts