Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my girl call me telling that the car doesn't start. Try with jumper cable and booster starter, but nothing, so we left it in the parking lot.
The car is a 1998 Ford Taurus with the V6 motor. This morning the car started fine, the other two time the started was little hesitant (like when you have the battery down) until the third time. You can hear only the starter that engage.
The battery was replaced in April, so I don't think it could be the problem.

Any ideas is appreciate... :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Battery needs to be at full charge, check and slow charge it. Probably a bad starter, flat spot on windings. I doubt if it will heal itself. Good news is 2 bolts and the electrical connections. All easy to get to!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery needs to be at full charge, check and slow charge it. Probably a bad starter, flat spot on windings. I doubt if it will heal itself. Good news is 2 bolts and the electrical connections. All easy to get to!!

Thanks for the fast reply! I will try to charge it, and see what happen from that.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
After full charge, if starter is still not working every time try tapping with block of wood or hammer. If that works your brushes and windings are going. Old trick but usually good for a few starts.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
no start

if you have meter check no load voltage ofbattery and check vltage while cranking.
you could have a battery with a shorted plate

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Brizio,
You titled the thread "CAR IS DEAD....." Honestly, your problem doesn't appear to be a serious one. Cheer up, man.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Like they said clean up the wires too, and don't forget where the ground is grounded too, people overlook that one a lot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the starter. Replace it and now is back on the road!

I think what cause it could be that time ago there was a leaking on the engine, and we toke it to the mechanic. He also replaced the oil pan, and for remove it he had to remove the starter. The ground metal connector has a little piece that is bent so it attach the solenoid and don't make it turn/move. It was put in the opposite direction, and too close to the starter cable. Plus the plastic cover was all burn and melt.

Anyway now it has a new starter. :)

Thank you guys always for your suggestion and help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.