Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
College town in theory, perhaps hand me downs.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1436382392.765730.jpg

Must have decided to pack an artery at McDonalds.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
This thread's been idle longer than I thought. Shame.

So, bit of humor.

I'm in the market for a new car, and was at a dealer checking out some Fusions. They had an '08 Lucerne CXL with the 3.8L V6, leather, decent options, etc. 74,000 miles. So I figure, "Why not?" and ask for a test drive.

I have to admit, it's a very quiet interior. Decent handling and power, smooth ride. Lots of GM cheapness inside though, and this example had too many warts for me to honestly consider it, but it's not entirely bad...

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
This thread's been idle longer than I thought. Shame.

So, bit of humor.

I'm in the market for a new car, and was at a dealer checking out some Fusions. They had an '08 Lucerne CXL with the 3.8L V6, leather, decent options, etc. 74,000 miles. So I figure, "Why not?" and ask for a test drive.

I have to admit, it's a very quiet interior. Decent handling and power, smooth ride. Lots of GM cheapness inside though, and this example had too many warts for me to honestly consider it, but it's not entirely bad...
The '08 is the last of the 3.8 a very old design, rugged but low on power and torque. The 3.9 New from scratch cam in block pushrod engine = ~40 more HP and broader torque curve. I drove '07 and have rented Park Ave with the 3.8 and they are quite flat in response. The 3.9 is way the better in torque, response, and such. Speed sensitive power steering added sometime also in a nice thing. Since I am 78 years old, I am now old enough to drive a BUICK!:D
The 3.9 is 60 degree iron block so very compact and quiet.

-chart-
One more thing:
0-60 the Buick is 0.6 seconds slower, 8.0 to 7.4 sec.
To get that .6 the Lin has 20 more valves, 3 more cams, 2 more cylinders, 4 points more octane gas, and is ~100# lighter. :D

-chart-

Attachments

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
It's bland on bland. :D

This one had a broken rear passenger door, broken TPMS system, the torsion bar in the trunk was removed from the slots so the trunk lid had no assist, and the plug wire boots on the coil side under the hood had teeth gnawing marks from pack rats (probably why the TPMS had failed). Just a lot wrong for me to shell out on.

That, and I personally found the seatback design uncomfortable - I'm built like a linebacker, so the bolsters at the top were too narrow and my back didn't feel like it was fully contacting the seat.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts

Lots of stuff:
AUDIO SYSTEM AM/FM STEREO WITH CD​
Adjustable Steering Wheel​
Air Suspension​
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror​
Automatic Headlights​
Blind Spot Monitor​
Brake Assist​
Bucket Seats​
Chrome Wheels​
Climate Control​
Cruise Control​
Driver Adjustable Lumbar​
Driver Air Bag​
Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror​
Driver Vanity Mirror​
Fog Lamps​
Front Head Air Bag​
Front Reading Lamps​
Front Side Air Bag​
Front Wheel Drive​
Heated Front Seat(s)​
Heated Mirrors​
Heated Steering Wheel​
Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors​
Lane Departure Warning​
Leather Seats​
Leather Steering Wheel​
Passenger Adjustable Lumbar​
Passenger Air Bag​
Passenger Air Bag Sensor​
Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror​
Passenger Vanity Mirror​
Power Driver Seat​
Power Mirror(s)​
Power Passenger Seat​
Power Windows​
Rear Defrost​
Rear Head Air Bag​
Rear Parking Aid​
Rear Reading Lamps​
Remote Engine Start​
Remote Trunk Release​
SUNROOF POWER TILT-SLIDING​
Seat Memory​
Security System​
Stability Control​
Steering Wheel Audio Controls​
Tire Pressure Monitor​
Traction Control​
Universal Garage Door Opener​

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
The '08 is the last of the 3.8 a very old design, rugged but low on power and torque. The 3.9 New from scratch cam in block pushrod engine = ~40 more HP and broader torque curve. I drove '07 and have rented Park Ave with the 3.8 and they are quite flat in response. The 3.9 is way the better in torque, response, and such. Speed sensitive power steering added sometime also in a nice thing. Since I am 78 years old, I am now old enough to drive a BUICK!:D
The 3.9 is 60 degree iron block so very compact and quiet.

-chart-
One more thing:
0-60 the Buick is 0.6 seconds slower, 8.0 to 7.4 sec.
To get that .6 the Lin has 20 more valves, 3 more cams, 2 more cylinders, 4 points more octane gas, and is ~100# lighter. :D

-chart-
NEVER too toung to own a Buick, and see what quality cars they stopped being in the mid-1970s. The wife and I bought one in 1994, a supposedly-well-maintained 1985 LeSabre 4DR sedan, and watched it fall apart before our eyes as we drove it. At least it got us to Florida, where we bought the 1990 Taurus in 1997. (We got $100 in trade for the Buick, I think the dealer felt sorry for us.) The Taurus is still on the road, running like a champ.

Good luck with yours.:rolleyes2:

P.S. - I would NOT mind owning a 1968 Electra 225, built during Buick's last challenge to Cadillac before the GM president slapped them down and told them to remember their place. Those Buicks were better-built and better cars than any contemporary Cadillac...or Lincoln, or Imperial for that matter. They were beauties.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
NEVER too toung to own a Buick, and see what quality cars they stopped being in the mid-1970s. The wife and I bought one in 1994, a supposedly-well-maintained 1985 LeSabre 4DR sedan, and watched it fall apart before our eyes as we drove it. At least it got us to Florida, where we bought the 1990 Taurus in 1997. (We got $100 in trade for the Buick, I think the dealer felt sorry for us.) The Taurus is still on the road, running like a champ.

Good luck with yours.:rolleyes2:

P.S. - I would NOT mind owning a 1968 Electra 225, built during Buick's last challenge to Cadillac before the GM president slapped them down and told them to remember their place. Those Buicks were better-built and better cars than any contemporary Cadillac...or Lincoln, or Imperial for that matter. They were beauties.
Can't be worse than my NEW Lin Cont '02. Pic of my list and this all under warranty. The Buick I just bought had one repair under warranty, and up to my buy at 59K. Door handle when new. That is all.

Also pic of a take from Carfax common fails. Note, G-4 Bulls use the same BJ and brakes as the Lin.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Can't be worse than my NEW Lin Cont '02. Pic of my list and this all under warranty. The Buick I just bought had one repair under warranty, and up to my buy at 59K. Door handle when new. That is all.

Also pic of a take from Carfax common fails. Note, G-4 Bulls use the same BJ and brakes as the Lin.

-chart-
I went with my daughter a few years ago to look at a two year old certified 5 series BMW. I asked for car fax and he handed me a 1/4 inch + thick Car Fax. Walked away from the car and BMWs at that point. Didn't like them to begin with, but daughter wanted one.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I went with my daughter a few years ago to look at a two year old certified 5 series BMW. I asked for car fax and he handed me a 1/4 inch + thick Car Fax. Walked away from the car and BMWs at that point. Didn't like them to begin with, but daughter wanted one.
Daughter and I looked at this Taurus on a Sunday while they were closed. Did the Carfax and I copied this and put it in a different format. No way I would buy that. Looked nice but:

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Who is faster 0-60, 2011 Lucerne V6 or G-4 Bull DOHC?

Sleeper. And it works for me.:D

2003 Sedan DOHC 8.5 sec.
2011 Buick Lucerne 3.9L 8.0 sec.

-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Nearly a full extra liter should get you more than half a second.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Nearly a full extra liter should get you more than half a second.
The Lin Cont has 20 more valves, 3 more cams, 2 more cylinders, uses 4 points more octane fuel and is ~100# lighter than the Buick.

Likely the difference is 10 years later technology. The GM 3.9 vs the old 3.8 is about 1.5 seconds faster in the same car, same gear ratios. The 3.9 builds more torque in the 2-3K rpm range which is why if feels so more responsive.

-chart-

181 - 200 of 201 Posts
About this Discussion
200 Replies
25 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing