Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing a research paper for my English class over the big three bail out and why it's a good idea.... I'd like to ask you guys for help though... Any newspaper articles or magazine articles you come by with some info on this can you please link to me or scan in and post? Thanks! I need a min. of 5 sources and I'm trying to mostly go the magazine/newspaper/internet route. :)

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
First and foremost I would not that it's a loan, not a bailout. They are not asking the government to just "give" them money. People seem to confuse that and the media misrepresents it. That is why they are having such a difficult time getting supporters of it.

Here is the latest info I've seen on it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Automakers-b...f-13741768.html

Good luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
First and foremost I would not that it's a loan, not a bailout. They are not asking the government to just "give" them money. People seem to confuse that and the media misrepresents it. That is why they are having such a difficult time getting supporters of it.

[/b]
a loan packed by us. :huh:

line workers in the uaw i heard can make upto 150g a year. now that's just one problem
with the big three and unions. why should i have to pay for the GREED of unions.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

line workers in the uaw i heard can make upto 150g a year. now that's just one problem
with the big three and unions. why should i have to pay for the GREED of unions.
[/b][/quote]

yeah backed by us, but the gov seems to have no problem bailing out bank after bank.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
La de da de da ... keeping my mouth shut on this one.

But even if the companies go 'bankrupt' it's unlikely that they will disappear.

·
Registered
276 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

yeah backed by us, but the gov seems to have no problem bailing out bank after bank.
[/b][/quote]
That is so true! It seems that they care more about the banks than the automakers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
La de da de da ... keeping my mouth shut on this one.

But even if the companies go 'bankrupt' it's unlikely that they will disappear.
[/b]

Don't be so sure about that. In the current economic situation I believe GM and Chrysler would not even get a loan to get them through a chapter 11 bankruptcy. If either of the two is allowed to fail they could seriously be gone.... and drag another million or two jobs with them. If they don't get the loans they may need to file chapter 7 and at that point they will be done, end of story. At least Ford is on relatively good ground. I don't think people have given Mulally enough credit for making the right decisions the last couple years at Ford.

If you want a good source for some inside industry point of view go to http://www.autoextremist.com/
Just read through the rants column and you will get a feel for what is really going on in the industry instead of the biased and incorrect media coverage.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

The problem will be the expenses that the government will have to pay if the Big 3 fail! The number of unemployment checks, retirees' pensions and many many other things will be much more expensive than just loaning them the money to get through this!

Assuming the loan actually gets them through as planned, the government will actually make money on the interest paid, etc. Additionally, if then end up getting any kind of ownership, etc. they'll make even more once the economy is healthy again.

I agree that the UAW is an issue but we do not have time to address that at the moment. Swift action is necessary if the Big 3 are to be preserved. Regardless, the UAW has already met and agreed to make concessions so that is a step in the right direction.

Ford could probably weather this storm but if the other two fail it's hard to tell what might happen to Ford. It could work to their advantage or it could really hurt them. I don't think anybody really has enough information to say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
That is so true! It seems that they care more about the banks than the automakers.
[/b]
Because the automakers are big evil corporations who **** Our Mother the Earth.

:rolleyes:

And possibly the fact that the mortgage crisis was caused by the government in the first place but let's not sling that pile of **** at the fan.

<div class='quotemain'>That is so true! It seems that they care more about the banks than the automakers.
[/b]
There's a reason for that.
[/b][/quote]
Because all the granola-munching fvckhead white-collar yuppies don't think this is going to affect them.

I've got more but I'll withhold it for the sake of the thread's continued existence.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm writing a research paper for my English class over the big three bail out and why it's a good idea.... I'd like to ask you guys for help though... Any newspaper articles or magazine articles you come by with some info on this can you please link to me or scan in and post? Thanks! I need a min. of 5 sources and I'm trying to mostly go the magazine/newspaper/internet route. :)
[/b]
Not to be a ****, but... You're basically trying to get us to do your homework for you?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Not to be a ****, but... You're basically trying to get us to do your homework for you? [/b][/quote]

If I were trying to get you guys to do my homework, I'd tell you to write my research paper for me. No, if you read correctly you'd realize I asked that if people come by any articles in the local newspaper or magazines I haven't skimmed through already, please post a link or scan them in. Make sense?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts