Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending quite a bit of time on the Bobistheoilguy site, I have decided to have a little fun. I am going to run all sorts of the alleged "best" motor oils through my car, and have them tested using the same brand of filter each time. I will be using different oils and different weights from 5w20 to 10w30. Right now I just changed my oil and am running Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 syn blend. My next change I will be using Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend. If anyone has any oils they are curious about, run it by me. I can't promise I'll try it, but I'll let you know either way. So, hit me up with any suggestions. My goal as mentioned is partly for fun. But I am also genuinely interested in seeing what the best oil for my car is. Or at least finding out which ones are not the best, and how they stack up against one another. I know this is kind of a boring subject for some of you, but I thought I would take the guess work out of the countless threads of "which oil should I use".
Bear in mind, this test uses my SHO with the 3.4L. It is a daily driver, but I also run the hell out of it. Your car may be different than mine, but this should give a good indication about oils one way or the other.

The rules are:
-Use a Motorcraft filter
-Run the car for 4,500 miles
-Use the same lab for the UOA each time (Blackstone Labs)

Here is my first analysis using Mobil 1 5w30. The Mobil 1 ran just fine, however it appears as though I shouldn't go past about 5K miles with it, so it's not quite as good as I expected from the "leader".

JACOB: Nothing too unusual showed up in the first sample from your Taurus. Iron was a bit above
average, which may show excess wear at a steel part, but as all other wear looks good we aren't ready to
call this a problem. Maybe the engine is just showing its age. Universal averages for the 3.4L are based on
an oil run of ~5,000 miles. If you're okay with iron, try 5,000 miles next time. As long as wear doesn't
increase too much we think that oil change interval should work okay for you. No harmful contaminants
were found. Check back to establish wear trends.

First number is mine/second number is universal averages
Oil change 4500 miles
Aluminum 3/3
Chromium 1/1
Iron 15/9
Copper 3/3
Lead 0/2
Tin 1/0
Molybdenum 70/184
Nickel 1/0
Manganese 0/0
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/1
Boron 38/31
Silicon 8/11
Sodium 18/10
Calcium 1993/1854
Magnesium 13/77
Phosphorus 611/648
Zinc 684/797
Barium 0/0

SUS Viscosity @210F 57.5/ 55-62
cST Viscosity @100C 9.49/ 8.8-11.1
Flashpoint F 380/ 365
Fuel% <0.5/ <2.0
Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3/ <0.6

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Ford specifically states not to use the 5w20 in the SHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would like to see Mobil 1 go head to head with AmsOil...should be interesting to see how they compare.

I would also like to see before and after for an engine treatment with auto-rx.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to see Mobil 1 go head to head with AmsOil...should be interesting to see how they compare.

I would also like to see before and after for an engine treatment with auto-rx.
[/b]
Well you've already got my Mobil 1 results, so that gives us a baseline. I do plan on Amsoil, as well as Royal Purple, and Redline. Obviously it will take quite a while to run them all, I will post as I get them.

If you want to read some people's Used Oil Analysis's with Amsoil, or any other oil, you can check them out at bobistheoilguy forums. There is actually a section strictly for test results. There is more info on oil there than you could ever digest in a lifetime. The only thing I'm really doing different, is using my car as a lab rat, so other SHO owners can see how the different oils perform in our cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts