Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to go with component speakers in the front door, what would be the appropriate place to mount the crossover, and how? Ideally, if the factory tweeter setup runs tweeter wires, just like woofer wires, into the trunk, then I could put the crossover in the trunk. However, I am afraid that is not the case, and so I have to figure out how to mount the crossover in the door, safely from water and other hazards.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Just attach it with double sided foam to a surface that looks like it has never been wet. The interior of the door may get water running down inside, but the section between the door and the panel should be isolated from that. There should be a foam isolater that would add extra protection and help deaden sound. If that foam is missing, replace it with some mylar bubble wrap, available at most hardware stores. That stuff can reduce the amount of road noise that enters the car, it is waterproof, and it reflects thermal energy back towards its source, so while the effect is limited, it can help keep your car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I used it myself in my Aerostar since the factory foam was missing on one side, and it did reduce road noise slightly. I put my crossover on the door panel with some double sided 3M tape, you could use velcro too. Make sure you run your wires long enough that you can pull the panel off and still access stuff, at least enough to be able to disconnect it without yanking something loose.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were to place the crossovers on the inside of the door panel, why not just glue them to it? I know I won't be able to move the speakers to other locations but I also know that chances are very good that I will not have to move those components to any other location or sell them to anybody in future.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just installed a set of components in the front doors of my Taurus. I mounted my passive crossover almost in the middle of the door. There is one hole in the door there that I used to secure the crossover to the door. All you need to do for clearance is remove a portion of the foam padding from the inside of the door panel, and you are good to go!

Take your time, measure twice, think about it, measure again to confirm your plan of attack and go for it!

*NOTE: I used a nylon locking nut on the back of the short allen head screw that I used to mount the crossover to the door. I sourced the nuts/bolts that I used from my local Home Depot.

The hole that I used to mount the crossover I marked around it with a red box.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just installed a set of components in the front doors of my Taurus. I mounted my passive crossover almost in the middle of the door. There is one hole in the door there that I used to secure the crossover to the door. All you need to do for clearance is remove a portion of the foam padding from the inside of the door panel, and you are good to go!

Take your time, measure twice, think about it, measure again to confirm your plan of attack and go for it!

*NOTE: I used a nylon locking nut on the back of the short allen head screw that I used to mount the crossover to the door. I sourced the nuts/bolts that I used from my local Home Depot.

The hole that I used to mount the crossover I marked around it with a red box.
That's a great location, wish I had noticed it when I mounted mine. Mine are secured via 3M Super Strength double-sided tape, the same that is used on Ventshades, on the door panel right underneath the tweeter area. Next time I have the panels off, I am going to move them to your location.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if this was worth all of the work I have done, but in the end I ended up mounting my crossovers outside of the doors in the cabin. Since I was going to run a new speaker wire, I decided to run two wires into each door (speaker and tweeters) from the cabin where the crossovers are. Right now my crossovers are screwed to the interior side of flat black plastic panel underneath the storage bin. Other interesting locations were inside of the center console, but the underneath storage bin was nicer, because I can always take it off (it attached with a couple of plastic clips) to make changes to tweeter volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts