Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
6881 - 6900 of 6906 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I may not watch the films anymore, but I'm still quite familiar with the themes, and Writing's On The Wall is quite possibly the worst Bond theme ever. Bragging how it took 20 minutes to write and was recorded in one take is not helping. The fact that it's apparently top of the charts just shows that too many have their taste in their mouths.

It's not the lyrics or the music, it's the fact that they got a terrible singer for it, and that falsetto makes me cringe. /rant
Agreed, I really want to like the song, but his falsetto is terrible as you said. I usually love falsettos, too (Beach Boys fan here).

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,882
Apparently he'd recently had vocal surgery or something, but yeah...

One I go back and forth on is Another Way to Die from Quantum of Solace. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
I think among the thing that makes for a good Bond song, besides having to be a good tune overall, is whether they suit the movie thematically. In that regard Another Way to Die suits the movie's theme well but I just find Key's and White's vocals disjointed and jarring when what they were obviously looking for was edgy. You Know My Name is probably the best of the Craig Era Bond songs in terms of both criteria.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,884
Yeah, but I'm a sucker for a piano and it does have a piano. :D

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
So....... this morning I took and passed the test for UPS! It was really tough, and everyone was nervous because it was the deciding factor in your employment..... and I NEED it. 1 week of absolute hell and brain bashing to get it all in, all done in 6 minutes. We had a lot of people that had a HARD time getting to pass, and one failed it. Out of the 48 of us that passed the course, only about 10 were told to go to their centers tomorrow. I'm one of them :)

I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go but it's in my center 25 minutes from my house, not 2 hours away if traffic permits so I'm very happy. No more 5am wake up call to hope I get there in my seat for 8am. Now, I'm on a 30 day probationary employment(just like any other employer). I have 3 days of on car supervision to show me my route, the equipment, and how they want it to be done. Then on the 4th, they hand over the keys and say "go get em tiger". The next huge hurdle is getting to know, memorize and visualize my route. One huge hurdle down, many more to go ;)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
That's great news John! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So....... this morning I took and passed the test for UPS! It was really tough, and everyone was nervous because it was the deciding factor in your employment..... and I NEED it. 1 week of absolute hell and brain bashing to get it all in, all done in 6 minutes. We had a lot of people that had a HARD time getting to pass, and one failed it. Out of the 48 of us that passed the course, only about 10 were told to go to their centers tomorrow. I'm one of them :)

I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go but it's in my center 25 minutes from my house, not 2 hours away if traffic permits so I'm very happy. No more 5am wake up call to hope I get there in my seat for 8am. Now, I'm on a 30 day probationary employment(just like any other employer). I have 3 days of on car supervision to show me my route, the equipment, and how they want it to be done. Then on the 4th, they hand over the keys and say "go get em tiger". The next huge hurdle is getting to know, memorize and visualize my route. One huge hurdle down, many more to go ;)
Awesome, congratulations John!

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
That's great news John! Congrats!
Awesome, congratulations John!
Thanks guys. Today I went to the center and got my drivers manifest and route number for today. I did not go on the road, but what I did do is drive some of the route I have. Most of my route is residential, however it's gated communities so I can't get in there with my personal vehicle. Nobody sells maps anymore so I went to the library and made copies of my service area, and laminated them so I have reference copies which is going to help me TREMENDOUSLY. I'm delivering to 1 town south of where I grew up so I'm familiar with the rest of my area(other than the gated communities).

Tomorrow I start my on-car training/driving, so money will start coming in:D The other guys that were in my class that went to my hub, but are in a different center(there are 2 in my hub), aren't starting till the 15th. I got the jump on it B)

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
I'm starting my new job on Monday. Finally. Still won't see a paycheck til October 30th. Almost 2 months without a paycheck which has really taken it's toll on my bank account
Tell me about it......... It's been 10 months since a paycheck for work and over 3 months with NO paycheck. ;)

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Crazy weekend..... Yesterday I had a bunch of people at my house having a birthday party for my oldest and youngest daughters(they are 7 days apart so it's easier to do one party)..... then today my wife ran an 18 mile run on Long Beach Island(LBI to us locals ;) ) so that was a 'most of the day' event. That was the longest run she's done. She has done 5k, 10k, and a bunch of 1/2 marathons(does 2 per year) in the past so she wanted to challenge herself. Even with a run that's 5 miles longer than her longest she was still able to maintain her average pace so eventhough she hit the 'runners wall' around mile 12, she was doing really good. I'm proud of her!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've noticed a bit of a trend on here, how many people own a 4th gen Taurus/Sable and a 95-97 Thunderbird?

·
Registered
137 Posts
This was my 96LX, 4.6L

I REALLY miss that car.
I know what you mean. My 97 is gutted and waiting on the time and space to get the project rolling again. I love that car, even when it only had the weak 6 cylinder in it. Can't wait to get it done and have it flying. B)

6881 - 6900 of 6906 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.