Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to figure out a way to keep that dang thing attatched to the cealing. I've tried velcro, and double sided tape. Has anyone else had a problem with this thing falling down whenever you close the doors, or just hit a bump while driving.
Has Ford had problems with the motors in the past? Or was someone on the interior design team having a bad day? You would think they would figure out a better way to get to the motor. Like every other manufacturer that has moonroofs, I haven't found a cover like that on other cars. It's one of those stupid but annoying problems. But I did think of just getting a flip down dvd screen to cover it up :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
haha i never had aproblem with it ... but i do find it kinda..funny LOL

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Try superglue

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Reasons why Ford put the cover there:

First, do you want to have a moonroof that pushes the glass up out of the car and slides it back over the roof? I think that looks retarded *cough* PONTIAC *cough*.

Second, if the motor fails under warranty, Ford doesn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars in labor to have some tech disassemble the headliner to get to the motor. This isn't a Lexus, so you have to be realistic and expect certain non-critical components to fail sooner or later.

Also, how often do you look at the ceiling of the car? :blink: (That is, presuming you aren't constantly putting that stupid cover back on :lol:)

Anywho, there are clips that hold it on, correct? Why not just bend them back where they belong?

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The other reason is...if the motor fails with the roof open, it can be hand cranked shut through that cover.

-Kyle

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jun 21 2004, 12:54 AM
The other reason is...if the motor fails with the roof open, it can be hand cranked shut through that cover.

-Kyle
wow, now that's good thinking! B) I remember once in my mom's old Saturn a fuse blew and it was starting to rain and we couldn't put up our windows or close the moonroof! :lol: That was a mess!

Anyways... I haven't had any trouble with that access panel in my car. :) I avoid touching it like the plague because I was afraid of causing the problem that you're experiencing. :unsure:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point to why they put it there, but I still say they could of put better clips, or something. All that is "holding" it up there are some "clips" that kind of stick out from the sides of the cover. Of course after 3 years of it falling off, the headliner started to form spaces from where the clips were being pushed in. Hence there's nothing for them to cling on to. I'll try the superglue method. Hopefully if there is any kind of problem with the motor and they have to take it off, the superglue won't tear the headliner.

S

·
0 Posts
I had a problem with mine.. but it's up in front between the visors, and it doubles as a vanity light. It is currently residing in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
FYI- Superglue and other cyanoacrylate adhesives will "eat" foam padding like crazy. I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my headliner. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I have taken my bull in twice to have the moonroof motor looked at/fixed/replaced. The moonroof wouldn't close, the motor wouldn't run, as if a short in the wiring or something. They said they can't find anything wrong with it, and can't fix/replace it until they can verify the problem. Apparently my word is not good enough. So I asked, "what if the problem happens again, and because the moonroof wouldn't close, my leather interior gets ruined?" He said well Ford would cover the cost of the repair to the motor, but not the interior. WTF?!!!! I said, "you've got to be $hitting me!!!!", He said, nope that is the way it works. Like if someone bought a defective thermostat and the block ended being ruined, Ford would cover the cost of the thermostat, but not the block. It is now that I realize that the Perma Plate that I got on the car might turn out to be worth every penny, because the interior and exterior are covered. However, if something should happen and the interior gets ruined, Ford will pay for the interior, so says my legal counsel (my sister). I just think that is $hitty business practice of Ford.

BTW, where is the crank to "manually" shut the moonroof?

Jeff

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 21 2004, 05:32 PM
I have taken my bull in twice to have the moonroof motor looked at/fixed/replaced. The moonroof wouldn't close, the motor wouldn't run, as if a short in the wiring or something. They said they can't find anything wrong with it, and can't fix/replace it until they can verify the problem. Apparently my word is not good enough. So I asked, "what if the problem happens again, and because the moonroof wouldn't close, my leather interior gets ruined?" He said well Ford would cover the cost of the repair to the motor, but not the interior. WTF?!!!! I said, "you've got to be $hitting me!!!!", He said, nope that is the way it works. Like if someone bought a defective thermostat and the block ended being ruined, Ford would cover the cost of the thermostat, but not the block. It is now that I realize that the Perma Plate that I got on the car might turn out to be worth every penny, because the interior and exterior are covered. However, if something should happen and the interior gets ruined, Ford will pay for the interior, so says my legal counsel (my sister). I just think that is $hitty business practice of Ford.

Jeff
Did you actually talk to somebody at "Ford Corporate" or was it just the stealership service manager? If you do ever run into a problem... just call the Ford Customer Relationship Center and file a formal complaint against the dealership. Trust me, their attitude towards your problems will change after that. ;) :) Also, I've proven that rain will not ruin a leather interior. I left my sunroof open and all my windows down on a nice day when I rode with somebody else to lunch from work and a hellacious storm rolled through with a massive downpour and soaked my car and nothing was ruined. B)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well ... I was having the same issues like someone did with the sunroof motor cover of falling :lol2: I got tired of falling down everytime I hit a bump or something and when my friends used to seat in the back, that crappy cover fell down so they were like darm this car looks like its falling apart so I just recommend you to leave it with no cover at all ...

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 21 2004, 04:32 PM

Jeff
I'm not sure exactly. :lol: I read it online about why the cover was there. I wish I remember the source.

As for everyones falling off. Do you all have gen 4's? I had two gen 3's with the moonroof and they never fell off. It could be a gen 4 problem. I'm not sure exactly. I would take it to the dealer and ask if there is anything you can do besides glue it. Maybe they could give you a new cover for a low price (if it's not under warranty.)

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I have the Gen.3 Sable ... that cover was driving me crazy so thats why I took it off.

Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts