Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought if anybody would know, it would be one of you guys/gals...

I just got an 01 SES and the previous owner said he smoked in it MAYBE once a month. I could kinda tell when I test drove it (I'm very sensitive to that stuff). Now that i've had it almost two months, I can't even tell cause I've used a couple different air fresheners (and dryer sheets under the seats) and the little bottle of like perfume that attaches to the air vents. The previous owner (the dealer himself) said they treated teh carpets and interior to this cleaning they do to all cars.

Now... I ask you... I went in the trunk to check the air pressure in the spare tire and when I took off the carpetting covering for the spare, I smelled that new car smell. I loved it! Is there any way I could get that back in my car? When I don't have an air freshner in the car for a while, I can sometimes smell a LITTLE bit of smoke, but I hate constantly having the smell of 200 pinapples in my back seat. What can I do to get that new car smell back?

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Nope, not really. That new car smell is glue and such curing. You can lengthen it by keeping a new car clean though :)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 11 2004, 07:44 PM
Vanilla is always a very good scent for covering things up. It's relatively neutral, but very warm smelling.

JR
:withstupid:
Vanillaroma addict here. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
get some febreeze.It wont get you that new car smell,but after a couple of treatments that smoker smell will be gone for good.

I know what your saying about new car smell. mine still had it when I bought it,but its gone now :(

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
They do make a new car scent air freshner in a spray bottle. Just spray it under your seat every few weeks. It isn't the same but it is as close as your going to get.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
One thing that can help is doing a complete cleaning of the interior of your car. Once everything is cleaned up, you can apply a can of 3M Scotchguard to the interior fabrics. It doesn't give the same new car smell that you get when you buy a new Ford, but it's a similar type of smell. If you want, try applying it to a couple of the floormats first to see if it's the smell you want.

You will also want to clean out the A/C vents. You can go to the autoparts store and find a spray can of cleaner specifically for the climate control duct work that you spray into the cowling outside at the base of the windshield while your A/C is running in the normal mode, full speed (you have to remove your cabin air filter first to get the most effect, may as well replace it then too). You'll also want to then switch to Max A/C, full speed and spray the stuff into the air intake under the passenger side of the dash. You want to do all this on a nice day with the windows down cause after doing it, you'll have to let your car air out a little. If you want, you can also try doing this procedure using a can of Lysol, whatever scent you prefer. Just make sure you're careful not to burn off too many brain cells inhaling this stuff...

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have that bottle of "That NEW CAR SMELL!!!" with a bow wrapped around the car (because apparently when you do buy a new car it comes with a huge red bow around it) that I really liked.

I put some leather protectant on it and I noticed it smelled GREAT after I did that... maybe I'll put some of that on a rag and keep it in the car...

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Jul 11 2004, 06:23 PM
Nope, not really. That new car smell is glue and such curing. You can lengthen it by keeping a new car clean though :)
I actually saw a special on tv showing that its a scent that they put in the new cars..but who knows lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts