Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time my 87 3.0L Taurus was running, it was running extremely poorly. Someone at work made the suggestion that I may have leaky fuel injectors, causing my poor runability conditions (poor idle where car catches itself, engine hesitation etc).

Leaky Fuel Injector Symptoms | eHow.com

All but the 1st thing has happened.

Cruising the net, I came upon an idea to test for leaking injectors. remove the UIM. Unbolt the fuel rail and pop the injectors out of their slots in the LIM. Leave them connected to the fuel rail and leave the electrical connectors in place.

Next, wipe clean the FIs, with a lint free cloth. Next, set a clear plastic cup under each FI. Go prime the car a few times (do not start it)...if you see any moisture in the cup or on the fuel injector, you've found the culprit. Seems OK way to test?

michakaveli or someone else suggested I could also try to crank the car (disconnect the wire to the ignition coil to prevent it from starting) and watch the spray patterns. Not sure how safe that is though. Is that an OK thing to do?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
That works, but be aware that 40 psi fuel pressure can and will blow the injectors out of the rails. If that happens, they can fly everywhare and pressurized gas will spray everywhere. BTDT and it isnt pretty, and isnt that safe. Years back, I built myself an injector tester out of an old computer case, a old fuel pump and a piece of an old fuel rail and some other junk I had laying around. Powered by a bike battery I had around.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That works, but be aware that 40 psi fuel pressure can and will blow the injectors out of the rails. If that happens, they can fly everywhare and pressurized gas will spray everywhere. BTDT and it isnt pretty, and isnt that safe. Years back, I built myself an injector tester out of an old computer case, a old fuel pump and a piece of an old fuel rail and some other junk I had laying around. Powered by a bike battery I had around.
Did you have something to pulse the injectors?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts