Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I bought a beater 2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SE for $550 a month ago. Runs and drives good, no leaks I know of. It's a Vulcan 3.0L engine. Idle is a little rough and making weird noises after warm up. Gas mileage is really bad...about 10mpg city and 19 highway I think lol. I don't even drive much like 200 miles on it and already low on fuel. Fuel filter is new, oil changed, and air filter (I think Fram brand) isn't clogged. PCV is good and the line is ok. ECT sensor is new and has a new connector, checked the voltage, was 5V, so that's normal. The temp gauge is only bad gauge and the dash said cooling system is "OK" everytime I checked and drove, never overheated. Already did self-diagnose on the dash, temp gauge still acts up. I'm thinking maybe MAF sensor - already cleaned it up or fuel pressure regulator. I'm wondering what's making noises, just seeing anyone have a similar experience. Here's a video of my Ford Taurus idling: https://youtube.com/shorts/0UsT9WuzpD8

·
Registered
85 Posts
Given that noise it might be the airco compressor. Every few seconds the magnetic clutch engages and tries to rotate the compressor. That in turn fails, perhaps even causing the drive belt to slip, causing that noise. If so, your drive belt will be gone very quickly this way.

You might check this by taking off the connector on the top of the airco drier/accumulator bottle (all the way front-right almost at the right headlight, Haynes Manual 3.14.4). This will prevent the compressor clutch to engage. If the noise is gone, you know what it is.

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
Does your '04 Vulcan have just the ect sensor or does it also have a seperate coolant temp sender for the dash gauge? Also, are your maf/iat sensors 1 combined component or are they seperate? For your p0171/174 lean codes, may check/replace your air tuning valve (imrc) gasket located near the passenger firewall.

·
Super Moderator
8,487 Posts
04 use ECT for both PCM and temp gauge.

171/174 codes mean vacuum leak 99.97% of the time. As Sheila said, runner tuning valve gasket is a common vac leak point. Lots of other vac hoses that may be rotten, have holes, small splits, etc.

If you had low fuel pressure you would have a P0191 code.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the belt is loose, otherwise I'd hear squeaking often - still will check to see if it's tight. I disconnected the connector off A/C compressor, noise went away. I never used A/C in my previous vehicles anyway lol. Brakes seems to be okay, it barely need much gas to move a vehicle, I could be wrong. I went to Autozone for check codes before replaced ECT and connector, got a 5v reading, and the coolant fans kick on sometime. 2004 Taurus have only one coolant sensor for temp gauge (probably junk or wires issue) and PCM. Will get it check again after find a vacuum leak and fix. I noticed there is a space between plastics on the bottom left of the manifold, didn't feel it was sucking in. Will find out later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts