114,500 miles

New Tires (4)
New Front pads and rotors
Alignment
New plugs and wires (motorcraft)
New Fuel Filter
Many new suspension parts
Fresh Oil Change and Coolant change at the Dealer

I am going through a 1/4 tank a day with short highway trip to work each day.

This is really the last straw with this car. I hate to give up on it, but I have spent over $1800 on this car and still have shakes over 60 as well as terrable gas millage.

Please help!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
What kind of fuel are you running? From what i know, the more ethanol there is in the fuel, the less power the engine makes. So if you're running a fuel with a lot of ethanol, the engine makes less power, so it has to work harder to get the car moving and keep it moving, especially at highway speeds. How far are you going? Perhaps someone with a FFV will see this and chime in - they'd be better to give you a comparison, since i don't own a FFV.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of fuel are you running? From what i know, the more ethanol there is in the fuel, the less power the engine makes. So if you're running a fuel with a lot of ethanol, the engine makes less power, so it has to work harder to get the car moving and keep it moving, especially at highway speeds. How far are you going? Perhaps someone with a FFV will see this and chime in - they'd be better to give you a comparison, since i don't own a FFV.
[/b]
I am usuing regular 87 and I have never tryed (and dont plan on it) E85 in my car.
I have tryed gas from different gas stations as well with no difference.

Last night for example I drove 50-65 miles round trip and tank was FULL when I left (I left right from the gas station). After I was done with my trip, my gas gauge was right below 3/4.

I have driven V8s that got better millage.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
You cant use the inaccurate Ford fuel gauge to measure gas mileage. The gas gauges in both my 05 SEL and the wifes 04 SES are very pessimistic........ they drop to a quarter tank in under a 100 miles, but according to the trip computer on my SEL, I have averaged 25 mpg over the last 1500 miles, which seems about right. When my gauge reads 1/4 tank, it only takes 11 or so gallons to fill it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a 2000 Taurus FFV 3.0 wagon with 129,000 miles. It's had the major maintenance stuff done recently; oil/filter, trans oil/filter, plugs/wire, all new rotors/pads and rebuilt calipers, new tires, etc. I've closely tracked the mpg and I do mostly highway driving at about 75 mph. On average it's getting 24 mpg using 87 octane.

I would think a sedan should get slightly better than this since it's less of a box shape (aerodynamically better). I’d suggest recording the miles and fuel used over the next couple of tanks. And try fueling at the same station and ideally at the same pump. I notice a huge difference in how much fuel I can get in between stations.

Don’t trust the fuel gauge. I always full up based on the trip odometer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My FFV wagon gets about 22mpg in mixed driving. It will probably drop a little now that it's cold and snowy. I never run E85 because the price difference does not make up for the drop in MPGs (plus there's only 1 station in town that has it, and it's not conveniently located). In my opinion, E85 is way overrated, but that's a topic for a different post..........

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Some Chevron and Texaco stations are using E10 now for 87, 89, and 91. Remember to read the label at the pump.

Anyways, to echo what's been said above, don't trust the fuel gauge. Drive until it hits a quarter tank and then fill it all the way up and check how many gallons you pumped versus the mileage on the trip odometer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You cant use the inaccurate Ford fuel gauge to measure gas mileage. The gas gauges in both my 05 SEL and the wifes 04 SES are very pessimistic........ they drop to a quarter tank in under a 100 miles, but according to the trip computer on my SEL, I have averaged 25 mpg over the last 1500 miles, which seems about right. When my gauge reads 1/4 tank, it only takes 11 or so gallons to fill it up.
[/b]

wish my taurus got 25 mpg mines more like 15 :glare:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, you need to calculate the actual mileage. I can make my fuel level change about a quarter tank depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill :lol2:

I tend to average around 23-26 in mixed driving with lots of hills, on 87...decreases in winter because of more idling.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
IIRC, don't G3 and 4 FFVs have some gadget behind the ICP that is known to fail and give out inaccurate fuel gauge readings?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Related?

This morning I started my car while brushing off snow.
HVAC was off, and I noticed the engine keep wanting to stall.

It would almost stall and then idle back up.

Kept doing this.

Could this be related to my terrable gas millage? Should I be worried?

This car is draining my bank account and if this is a major problem the car is going to be sold.

·
Registered
953 Posts
i wanted to chime in here as well.

my 2001 Taurus gets roughly 18 or 19 with casual town/city driving. It will get up to 23/24 on the highway. This is in FL.

As many have said, the fuel gauges in these cars are not the most accurate, but this is the case with ANY real car that I have driven (always takes a bit to drop down but when it hits the 1/2 way mark it falls like a rock).

I have given up even looking at the fuel gauge. I know that if I am driving normal, I can get any where from 250-350 miles on 1 tank (city vs highway of course).

Again, to figure out what your true gas mileage is do the following:
Fill up the tank and STOP when the gas station pump clicks (don't try to top off to get to the nearest .25 cent/dollar etc).
Reset your TRIPometer 000.0
drive around until about 1/4 is read on your fuel gauge
Fill up the tank again (remembering to STOP when the pump clicks)
Note the gallons of gas it took to fill up.
Note the miles that you drove between fill ups.
Last, divide the number on the TRIP by the Gallons you just put into the tank. You will get a number which is mpg.

This is really the only true way to figure out your MPG. Even the new cars electronic MPG is off from the true, b/c the computer is just estimating at the time.

One last thing, if your front end is 'shimmying' still at 60 or above it means that your tires are out of balance. Take them back and have them rebalanced.

yet another thing that has been mentioned on these boards is to ensure that your tires are properly inflated. You can argue till you're blue in the face with what should go into them, but Ford recommends 35psi in front and rear.

If you want to get more mileage (at the expense of your tires) you can try adding a few extra pounds of air into your tires.

hope this helps you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wanted to chime in here as well.

my 2001 Taurus gets roughly 18 or 19 with casual town/city driving. It will get up to 23/24 on the highway. This is in FL.

As many have said, the fuel gauges in these cars are not the most accurate, but this is the case with ANY real car that I have driven (always takes a bit to drop down but when it hits the 1/2 way mark it falls like a rock).

I have given up even looking at the fuel gauge. I know that if I am driving normal, I can get any where from 250-350 miles on 1 tank (city vs highway of course).

Again, to figure out what your true gas mileage is do the following:
Fill up the tank and STOP when the gas station pump clicks (don't try to top off to get to the nearest .25 cent/dollar etc).
Reset your TRIPometer 000.0
drive around until about 1/4 is read on your fuel gauge
Fill up the tank again (remembering to STOP when the pump clicks)
Note the gallons of gas it took to fill up.
Note the miles that you drove between fill ups.
Last, divide the number on the TRIP by the Gallons you just put into the tank. You will get a number which is mpg.

This is really the only true way to figure out your MPG. Even the new cars electronic MPG is off from the true, b/c the computer is just estimating at the time.

One last thing, if your front end is 'shimmying' still at 60 or above it means that your tires are out of balance. Take them back and have them rebalanced.

yet another thing that has been mentioned on these boards is to ensure that your tires are properly inflated. You can argue till you're blue in the face with what should go into them, but Ford recommends 35psi in front and rear.

If you want to get more mileage (at the expense of your tires) you can try adding a few extra pounds of air into your tires.

hope this helps you.

Good Luck!
[/b]
Thank you for the reply.

I have had the tires balanced twice usuing a road force balancer. Helped, but still off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 98 with 200k still gets about 22mpg on the adverage usually let it go about 300miles before i fill it in the winter about 360mi in the summer with the vibration i have worked on a few taurus that had bad half shafts causing a vibration just food ford thought

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How long are you running the car at idle while brushing? My car is a PIG when cold idled in the morning to warm up. As far as the idle surge, that could definately be a problem, sounds like your IAC valve may be dirty or some kind of vacuum leak somewhere. Definately get those fixed then measure your mileage by miles per gallon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also think it might be in the fuel gauge / tank sensors. The 07 Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan I just got, seems to have the same screwy fuel gauge. It topped off at 15.3 gallons when the needle was just below the E line and the message center said that I had 11 miles left. It is almost like the sensors on the tank are set too high making it seem like a 16 gallon tank instead of the 18 gallon tank that it should have. The really odd part is after I filled it with the 15 gallons the DTE on the message center went to 410 miles which would line up with an 18 gallon tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts