Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The symptom that I get is when the car is under full load (specifically A/C clutch is engaged) I hear a quick clicking sound that appears to be coming from the tensioner assembly. There are 3 lines on it. Two to the left and one to the right. I see the assembly bouncing back and forth but it is closer to the right most (3rd) line. The movement seems to coincide with the clicking sound.

Thinking that it may be the pulley, I replaced the tensioner. When I spun it I could hear a bit of a ball bearing starting to rumble, but not really enough to cause me to think that the problem was fixed.

When I had the belt off, I spun the Idler Pulley (Good), replaced the Tensioner pulley. The Powersteering pulley didn't have much play in it at all. Also, the waterpump was just replaced and the pulley on that is new. And now the A/C Compressor has been replaced. Other than the crankshaft pulley, that is it.

So, how do you all know when to replace the tensioning assembly? And can what I have explained be causing the clicking sound.

NOTE this sound is different that the 'belt squeal' that usually exhibits itself when a pulley or belt are bad.

Thanks!

~matt

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Go the Harbor freight and get a mechanics stethascope.
Then with the motor running, probe the parts around the serp belt.'I had a
noise on mine the i tracked down to the alternator using this method.

bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts