Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day the tensioner fell off of my mothers Taurus. Today when I went into the garage to put it back on I realized the bolt was missing. Does anyone know what size bolt this is? The car is a 96 Taurus Wagon with a 3.0. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The other day the tensioner fell off of my mothers Taurus. Today when I went into the garage to put it back on I realized the bolt was missing. Does anyone know what size bolt this is? The car is a 96 Taurus Wagon with a 3.0. Thanks in advance for any help.

John
It was likely a Torx head or Hex head, depending if it was replaced. It likely fell off because it wasn't tightened enough. I'm not sure if you could use a different bolt, you may have to hit up a junk yard for the bolt or check with your local auto parts store, I doubt they'll have them without having to buy the entire tensioner assembly.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon further inspection of the vehicle I realized that the bolt did not fall off, it broke off inside the block. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could "easily" extract this bolt? Thanks again.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Upon further inspection of the vehicle I realized that the bolt did not fall off, it broke off inside the block. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could "easily" extract this bolt? Thanks again.
Vulcan, right?

You'll need to pull the P/S pump bracket, that's what it attaches to I think. Then go from there, if you're good at drilling stuff out, go for it. The next step is to take it to a machinist and have them remove it for you. Or, you could just go to a junk yard and get another P/S pump bracket, with the pump attached. I got one for $30. You need a pulley puller to remove the P/S pump from the bracket, btw.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I'm not sure what Vulcan is? But I will go check on the bracket theory right now.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. "Vulcan" is the name of the 12v OHV, 3.0l V6 used in the Taurus and Ranger. If you don't have a Vulcan, you have the Duratec, that would be a 24v DOHC, 3.0l V6.

·
Registered
27 Posts
do anyone of u know the size of the idler pulleys in a 97 ford taurus sho i ordered new ones and they came in and they r almost half an inch smaller then the ones on my car right now plz help ?

·
Registered
10,561 Posts

John
The bolt is 8mm 1.25pitch 56mm long but that likely does not help.

If you drill the old one out you cannot put an oversized bolt through the tensioner.

Depending on the engine, you will likely replace whatever the bolt is threaded into. If you get that at a junkyard you get the bolt also.

-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts