Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get toasty air from my heater long before the temperature gauge starts to move. Does this car with the DOHC V6 use the same temperature sensor for the computer and the gauge, or are they separate sensors?

Possibility that a faulty temperature sensor is making the computer open the IAC to varying amounts up to wide open until the gauge starts coming up? Once the gauge starts to move the engine idles fine and the car stops trying to exceed 25 MPH with my foot off the gas. I took it out on a back country road once and let it roll. It got up to almost 40 MPH with my foot off the gas before the temp gauge started indicating warming up, then the idle dropped to normal. That would have to be a wide open IAC with the throttle plate fully closed.

IAC and TPS have been replaced, PCV valve replaced with genuine Motorcraft one. Vacuum hoses checks and rechecked. If it was a vacuum leak it would not run perfect when warm while not running properly when cold, but not actually cold. Just cold as incorrectly indicated by the gauge.

·
Registered
22,631 Posts
Standing at the lf fender, look to the right and below the large corrugated intake hose/throttle body for the grey or black plastic based 2-wire ect sensor. This sensor reports to the pcm/computer eng. coolant temp. On the left side of the intake tube is the brown plastic based 1-wire temp. dash sender.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts