Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: I start the car with AC on and drive around town or wherever and the H/C gauge will go all the way about 7/8ths high without touching the hot mark. Then it will fluctuate down to halfway to three-fourths. :huh: I don't hear any funny noises or anything like that. I have changed the radiator fluid before, head gaskets, heater core, and motor plugs and thermostat. There are no leaks or anything but water from condensation. I am thinking it's the Coolant Temperature Sensor, Thermostat or Water Pump. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Downward fluctuation is your fans kicking on. What engine, Vulcan 3L or Duratec 3L? Head gasket change makes me wanna say a Vulvan, no? Vulcans can dissolve their water pump fins if coolant is not serviced regularly.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Fan resistor

:huh: I start the car with AC on and drive around town or wherever and the H/C gauge will go all the way about 7/8ths high without touching the hot mark. Then it will fluctuate down to halfway to three-fourths. :huh: I don't hear any funny noises or anything like that. I have changed the radiator fluid before, head gaskets, heater core, and motor plugs and thermostat. There are no leaks or anything but water from condensation. I am thinking it's the Coolant Temperature Sensor, Thermostat or Water Pump. What do you guys/gals think?
If the low speed fan resistor goes out, you have only high speed fan. That kicks in at a higher themp, but you would have no lower temp kick in for the fan. That would seem to fit. Your temp goes to the ~235 where the high temp high speed fan kicks in, cools it down and turns off. You would have no low speed fan to maintain the normal temp. Assume it Taurus which uses a small frontal air inlet area, compared to the Sable.

There are threads on that.

-chart-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I attached a photo of where it was today...this was the lowest it went to and today it went past the white bar almost to red. I turned off the car and popped the hood and all seemed fine. :unsure: I'll look into the fan suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
charts the man!!!!! sounds like the fan... also did you use a oem thermostat? bulls are picky when it comes to the thermostat

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor and the "dial" is underneath the C marker. So far so good...will update.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Did you replace the 2-wire gray-based sensor (ect)? If so, check/replace the 1-wire brown-based sending unit for the dash gauge. On a vulcan, it should be right next to the gray one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you replace the 2-wire gray-based sensor (ect)? If so, check/replace the 1-wire brown-based sending unit for the dash gauge. On a vulcan, it should be right next to the gray one.
:p I had the CTS (grey) in the Temperature Sensor (brown) spot...then I went to O'Reily's and got the Temperature Sensor (brown). I ended up changing both...when I finally got the changed the CTS (grey) I found that the old CTS (grey) was broken and hanging by some wires!!! :eek:

So I will check and see how it rides now...my father was with me and didn't put the cap on. So the radiator cap over-flowed. :eek: So I will refill and ride then will update you guys.

I also bought a OEM Ford Motorcraft Thermostat that I will install to replace the off-brand one I had. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now getting the thermostat housing is the challenge...it keeps leaking with the gasket on at the bottom. I'm thinking we need more sealant at the bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts