Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second Gen2 Taurus. On my first one, the temp gauge always showed right in the middle of 'Normal' when things were going right. This one takes a while to get to the 'N', and doesn't seem to get much past it after running for a while. PO says the gauge always acted like that for him; he replaced the controller that controls the fan thinking that may be it... no change there

I replaced the thermostat and sending unit, cause I suspect my lost in power (after the engine warms up) is due to overheating, but I have no way to really tell.

Is there anything I can do to test it? Do I have to replace the whole speedo assembly or can I just replace that gauge in there? Or should I go to an aftermarket gauge.

TX!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Temp

This is my second Gen2 Taurus. On my first one, the temp gauge always showed right in the middle of 'Normal' when things were going right. This one takes a while to get to the 'N', and doesn't seem to get much past it after running for a while. PO says the gauge always acted like that for him; he replaced the controller that controls the fan thinking that may be it... no change there

I replaced the thermostat and sending unit, cause I suspect my lost in power (after the engine warms up) is due to overheating, but I have no way to really tell.

Is there anything I can do to test it? Do I have to replace the whole speedo assembly or can I just replace that gauge in there? Or should I go to an aftermarket gauge.

TX!
You can put in a mechanical temp gage.

To see what is going on you can buy or borrow a CarChip.

Good for many things.

Pic of temp profile attached, taken from CarChip.
This is what one should look like, :)
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Chart, the OPs car is a gen 2 / EEC IV, so the carchip wont work.

The gauge can be replaced seperately. I THINK the following test will work for your gauge (it works on virtually all 80s Fords with thermal / bimetal gauges): Get a 22 ohm resistor. Pull wire off sender and connect resistor from wire to ground. Gauge should read 1/2 way up if gauge is good.

Any chance the tstat is not sealing correctly? I have seen tstats, even name brand ones, bad out of the box. I always test them in a pan of hot / boiling water before I install them.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Or the T-stat is not seated right? For example, on my duratec there is a rubber gasket to keep it in place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P.O. didn't have a thermostat in there (go figure why), so I just put in a new one with new gasket. Same results before and after thermostat installation. Still could be the culprit, but more unlikely it is. I will try the resistor substitution...

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If you have an ohm meter and know the specs on the gauge you may be able to do a resistance check and determine if it is within specs.

thermostat - was it motorcraft?

Coolant sensor - was it motorcraft?

I as these questions because some knock-off parts do not work a play well with OEM parts.

If you don't have an ohm meter, with the key in the on position take the coolant sensor wire from the sensor and ground it. The temp gauge should reading past the hot mark. This check indicates the circuit between the gauge and sensor is good. The gauge may still be out of specs but unlikely.

Monsoon

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Uh oh, no temp gauge and the previous owner ran it without a thermostat. I hate how these stories end...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts