Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've now owned my taurus for 8,000 miles, two trips cross country, driving in NYC traffic and have not noticed any fluctuation in the gauge. The car comes up to temp and will not move from there even when idleing in heavy traffic with the A/C on or crusing on the highway. I have fresh coolant in the system and that changed nothing, is this normal? 2003 SES 55,000 miles Vulcan engine U code.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Easywind,
Yes it is normal. The temp guage in a Taurus is almost like an idiot light. It reads either good or bad. It is not a real guage per se, it does not move with the temp. It will read mid range if everything is good and go full hot when not. There is another sensor that provides temp data to the computer. As long as your Check engine light is not on you should be good. If you have a scanner you can monitor your engine temp that way to put your mind at ease.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Yup, normal. Our 04 and 05 Tecs do exactly the same thing. Gauge sits a hair above the center all the time after the engine warms up. When it is VERY cold out (negative temps), the gauge will stabilize very slightly lower.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've now owned my taurus for 8,000 miles, two trips cross country, driving in NYC traffic and have not noticed any fluctuation in the gauge. The car comes up to temp and will not move from there even when idleing in heavy traffic with the A/C on or crusing on the highway. I have fresh coolant in the system and that changed nothing, is this normal? 2003 SES 55,000 miles Vulcan engine U code.
What people are now suspecting problems when something actually works the way it is designed too? :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, not going to be playing mumbley peg with any of you people anytime soon. Thanks for the answers and I hope when I get stuck you all come to the rescue as quickly.
Next question, is there anyway to put in a mechanical gauge or even an electrical gauge that actually works without messing with the computers mind? I do a lot of stop and go driving and overheating is on the top of my nightmare list. I like to monitor what's going on in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ultragauge looks like something I will want to live without. I an old fashoned guy want analog display and one gauge. I don't trust this. Any gearheads use this?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
What's not to trust ? It takes the Data and displays it in realtime (1 sec incriments) the data it's displaying is from the ECU. If you would just like a Regular gauge then you can always go to your local pep-boys and get one as well as a universal pillar mount.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interestingly enough I read the forum on the ultra gauge website and that;s convinced me not to go that route, There would be lots of problems for me. So back to the original question. Can I install either a decent electrical or mechanical temp gauge without messing with the computer????

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow, not going to be playing mumbley peg with any of you people anytime soon. Thanks for the answers and I hope when I get stuck you all come to the rescue as quickly.
Next question, is there anyway to put in a mechanical gauge or even an electrical gauge that actually works without messing with the computers mind? I do a lot of stop and go driving and overheating is on the top of my nightmare list. I like to monitor what's going on in the engine compartment.
Scangauge, is what I use for several years, It gives a digital readout of the water temp, and many others parameters, like transmission temp, also read check engine light codes, and clears them also. I also use it everyday to give me a readout of Avg. Gas Mileage, and Instantaneous Gas Mileage - something very useful with todays gas prices.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Scangauge, is what I use for several years, It gives a digital readout of the water temp, and many others parameters, like transmission temp, also read check engine light codes, and clears them also. I also use it everyday to give me a readout of Avg. Gas Mileage, and Instantaneous Gas Mileage - something very useful with todays gas prices.

Scangauge = $200.00

UltraGauge = $70.00
and it does the same thing as a Scangauge, though I'm sure your Scangauge works great.

Just sayin' ;).....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
To the OP Check this out.....

Glow Shift Gauges. $36.00 bucks for a solution, it has it's own sending unit so you don't have to worry about altering the computer or tapping into existing sensors.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
The trick is finding a place to put the sending unit for an aftermarket gauge. Maybe cut a heater hose and fab up a fitting to T into the heater hose for the aftermarket sender.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The trick is finding a place to put the sending unit for an aftermarket gauge. Maybe cut a heater hose and fab up a fitting to T into the heater hose for the aftermarket sender.
^^ This.

You will have to Ground it to the vehicles body as most sensors or sending units for temp are single wire and are self grounding. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I've done some calling around and some net research and have decided to go with an autometer water temp gauge. I have them in my truck, they have incandescent lights which is extremely important to me and I have been assured they will not do anything nasty to the computer. Come with instructions, support and a name I trust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have 2002 ses and it keeps pointing to the max of the temp gauge. my mechanic tells me the engine is not ruining hot and must be a gauge or short problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
^^^^ throw a scan tool on it and see what the PCM says the actual temp is.

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is an app for Android smartphones called Torque

which can read OBD data via a bluetooth connected device that plugs into the OBD port.

It then allows you to read a bunch of ECU information including temperature data. I have the app and a cheap Ebay-sourced OBD reader adapter (around $20 -30). Besides allowing you to monitor this data, you can also read and reset codes and automatically look them up in Google.

Torque has a free version which for me is adequate but the full version is only $3 and allows you to save logs among other things.

I leave the reader plugged in my car's OBD port all the time.

If you have an Android tablet, it will display a pretty good size set of graphic gauges.

Attached to this post is a screen capture of my Samsung Vibrant smartphone displaying my coolant temp. It's low because the car has been shut down for a couple of hours.

Read about Torque here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts