Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang.
Having an issue with the temperature gauge and electric fans on my Taurus. Its a 96 model with the 3.0 Vulcan. Recently did an AX4N swap into it in which I had to change the mounts, axle, and pcm. Since I got the car back, I haven't noticed the electric fans kick on at all.

While driving down the road, the car never gets up to normal operating temperature at all. Its about halfway between the cold and normal operating temp mark. I turn the heat on and it blows out very hot air with the gauge not even to normal. I was reading some posts on here and most people that were having heating issues replaced the Engine Coolant Temp and Temp gauge sensors. I did this and the problem still persists.

I have checked the Coolant and its full. The thermostat is fully opening as when the gauge starts going up, I squeeze the top radiator hose and it has pressure and flow through it. Coolant is passing through the heater core and back through. I don't have the digital thermometer or a scan tool to read actual temperatures, but I know the car can't sit in place without the fans ever kicking on. So, my question, could this be an issue with the PCM since I replaced both the sensors? I assumed the fans would be controlled by the ECT sensor, but I guess now that's not correct. Also, would the fans kick on if the gauge isn't to normal temp or what exactly kicks them on? I'm kind of stumped now and don't want to drive this until I can get it fixed as I don't want to burn up the motor. Any help is very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Donnie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, just an update.
I never stopped to try this because honestly it wasn't occurring to me at the time. The AC clutch in the car is broken so the AC doesn't work so I wasn't thinking that flipping the AC on should automatically engage the fans. I went out and let the car idle for about 15 minutes and the temperature gauge was closer to operating tonight than it did yesterday even after I replaced the sensors.

I flipped on the AC and the fans engaged and worked on low. I went back in the house for a few more minutes while the car got warmer, came out, fans still running on low so I swapped the car to hot air from the defrost. Fans stayed on - about 10 mins later the high speed flipped on and ran no problem as long as defrost or AC running, but will not run while in any other position.
One thing I didn't note yesterday, the car is a 96 model but the donor car was a 97 model with the AX4N and I pulled the PCM from the 97 model. Only differences I've found on the pcms from everything posted is the AC is grounded locally on the 97 and it was grounded through the pcm on the 96 but it still engaged when I flipped it over. Still really confused about this. I'm gonna see if I can find the 96 model PCM and try it and see what happens...any other suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigdog, I'm going to try to check the relays tomorrow. Have had a very long past 2 days so no messing with the car whatsoever :( I resorted to driving with the AC switch in place yesterday even tho the AC doesn't work because it kicks the fans on lol

My friend said he thinks the relays are not replaceable in this year model taurus, that if they are bad, I have to replace the whole box that controls them? Anyways, as soon as I get the checked, I'll post back my findings here. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
ohhhh.. 96 or 97 huh.... yes your friend is correct. the fans get the signal via the pcm through the relays in the ccrm. last i remember the ccrm cost like $150 and up new. unless you tear it apart and are good with electrical and solder. if buying a new or used one the numbers and letter have to match up. iirc there are 2 different ones

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figures it would be like that haha

Yeah if I have to replace it, I'll head up to the local pull a part and see if I can find one from the same year car and see if I can find one that matches.
Still gonna throw the old PCM in maybe monday or tuesday and let it heat up adn see what happens. If the fans work from the old pcm, then this one I got with the transmission is bad I would assume. Also going to get a digital thermometer that I can point the laser and get a temp to see what its running and hook up a scan tool to see what the PCM is reporting it as running.

If CCRM is bad, I'll opt for the used one as I don't want to put a ton of money into this car. Just hoping it lasts me until I get my wife's car fixed if nothing else :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the long delay in this next posting, but I did get to finally hook up a scan tool to the car and test the temperature vs the temp gauge. Scan tool i have is the Actron CP9575. After idling for about 20 minutes, temp gauge was not to normal. Hooked up the tool and it reported it at 187 F.

Manually held the gas down to idle up the engine to heat it up. At 214F the high speed fans kicked on, which immediately started dropping the temps. Got down to lower than 190 before they kicked off, never swapping to low speed. Heat is blowing out extremely hot just like the other taurus I owned and the ranger I own. So, seeing as how the fans did kick in finally at this temp, but no low speed fans, I'm gonna try to get the new relay box and replace it to see if that does anything. Gonna be a bit til I post again as my wife and I just had a baby, so getting to Pull A Part isn't the easiest task anymore :-D

Didn't get the infrared thermometer as I haven't had the money to get it yet, but I'm going to see if a friend does just to test the thermostat housing and make sure the temp is close to being reported. Thanks for the input so far :)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When you changed the PCM, was it for the SAME year of car? The functions are NOT
all the same year to year. Other years in a swap may work, but you may have some
things that don't work right/

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not at work, so I can't check...

but was there not a recall/bulletin about the e-fans around that year taurus?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts