Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my problem. I work 40 miles from home. 80 mile round trip. I have a 94 MTX SHO. I love the car but I drive it for a week or so, then work on it for a week or so. I am not crazy about the MTX anymore either. I want an ATX. I love the Taurus for the ride and the comfort but the SHO requires alot of attention. The engine has never given me any trouble but everything around it has. I am thinking about getting a 95 GL in great shape. Then put my SHO slicer rims and maybe the spoiler on it. The Vulcan engine is reliable and easier to work on. I just want to be comfortable. I don't really need 220hp anymore. I've outgrown it. Is the 95 GL 3.0 OHV a good one to choose. I really want to stay with the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think any 15+ year old car you get is going to require more maintenance that sometimes you would like. Over a lot of years of commuting I've had vehicles that I enjoyed driving and others that just served the purpose of getting me from point A to point B, my current 2000 Taurus is probably in the middle somewhere. For the amount of time I spend in the car I would rather enjoy it so my recommendation would be to get something you really like and if that is a Gen2 or Gen3 Taurus than that's what you should get. That said, we all know the weakneses of these cars such as transmissions, springs/struts, etc so look for a really low mileage car that's been very well maintained and even then expect some maintenance problems. I think once your used to the SHO power you'll be disappointed in the Vulcan, maybe look for a 24v Duratec :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot for your insight. Your right about the Duratec thing. I might try to find one of those. My 2nd gen is so comfortable I just wanting to stay with a second gen but it will be hard to find one that hasn't been run to death. What about the 2000 and up models. Are they as comfortable a ride as the gen2 ? All my driving is highway.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A 2000 has a nice ride. Also, the transmissions are improved from the earlier models. I agree about the Duratec, the Vulcan is a little underpowered.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
The wifes 04 SES has the Tec, and I have seen lots of SE's around that have the Tec fender badges. Last year for the Tec was 05.

·
Registered
562 Posts
FWIW, I had a '94 Sable that rode a lot better than my '00 Taurus but I don't know how may other factors were involved if that is apples to apples.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
You could get a 94/95 Taurus or Sable with an Essex (3.8) engine. I know its no SHO, but they have the low end torque and I like the G2 ride over the G3/G4 any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you are looking more for comfort, with a bit of a loss in terms of handling, the Gen 4 will work. You can upgrade the suspension with some Gen 2 parts (like rear springs, sway bars from an early SHO, etc). A lota 2000s got badged "wrong" on the back. They fixed this late 2000. A SES model could have it, and a US spec SEL model will have it. Hopefully you can find one with some maintenance history. Just check for rot if you're in the salt belt.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Get away from those Butt Ugly Gen 1/ Gen 2 SHO's and get a Gen 3 SHO. It is a completely superior car for long daily commutes. And they are dirt cheap right now.
Just make sure it is welded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Second Gen SHO's are sexy. I dunno what you're on.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
So how bout a gen3 sho? Requires a lot less maintenance then a gen2 or 1 sho. They are more modern looking and def as sexy as gen2's. As long as the cams are welded and has tranny cooler, they drive and drive. Def not underpowered, and will take off better then the older gen shos as the gen3 has better low end. I swear on the highway they get better gas milage then my v6 3.8 wagons. I get about 26mpg cruising at 75.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks alot for your insight. Your right about the Duratec thing. I might try to find one of those. My 2nd gen is so comfortable I just wanting to stay with a second gen but it will be hard to find one that hasn't been run to death. What about the 2000 and up models. Are they as comfortable a ride as the gen2 ? All my driving is highway.
I've owned both gen2 and gen 4.5, I like my current Taurus more than the gen2 I had, seems like there's a bit more leg room, and the trunk seems larger. The bucket seats are more comfortable for me than the bench seat. My advice would be to test drive both the Vulcan and the 'tec. On both test drives, run the a/c! My Vulcan has plenty of get up for me, but that's not the case with the a/c on. If you decide on the Vulcan, the '04-up has a larger TB, and revised intake, it revs more freely and smoothly than the older Vulcans did, but still a far cry from SHO and 'tec bulls. Whatever you decide, only go for one with the ax4n bolted to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts