Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody heard of these and know any info on them? I just got my brake lines all replaced since they were REALLY rusty and ive already spliced into them once, while replacing a blown out part of the line.
So yes I did get all the lines from the ABS mod to all 4 wheels. i was gonna go with SS lines but the installer told me about the new teflon coated lines and that their supposed to last longer than even SS lines. and they also said that companies like Saab and BMW have been using them for a long time. and he commentd on how their lines never seem to rust. which i had to take his word for cause ive never owned a BMW or Saab (etc.).

But please anyboyd who knows anything about these type of lines, fill me in on what you know. did i make a good choice or bad choice, or should i have went with the SS brake lines? I belive he also mentined that they are the type of brake lines that chevy now uses on their cars (maybe all chevy cars).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't know about teflon-coated lines, but poly-vinyl fluorine coated lines have been in use for years and are now available in the aftermarket. Parts houses that carry AGS brake lines have replaced all of their old steel lines with the PVF coated lines. Since they are just coated steel lines, they still have the ability to rust, but feature 30X corrosion resistance over plain galvanized lines.

However, I think your tech had things a bit confused, there is a third type of brake line. NiCopp is a nickel-copper alloy brake line that has been in service with Volvo, Audi, Porsche and Aston Martin since the 1970s. Due to it's metallurgical compound, it will never rust. Despite not rusting, the NiCopp lines have a lower tensile and yield strength, as well as lower burst pressure than PVF-coated steel lines. However the difference in those strengths and pressures is minimal.

To determine which were installed, look at the color of the line. If it is green or a really dark shade, more than likely it is PVF-coated. If the color is that of copper or a dull penny, it is NiCopp.

·
Registered
797 Posts
To add to 84ford's comments I have used the Nicoop lines and so far I am very satisfied.

It is about twice as expensive (purchased at NAPA) as the conventional steel lines but has two major advantages:

1. It is easier to install. It is more ductile, therefore bends easily by hand and it flairs easier.
2. It does not rust like steel and in theory it should last much longer.

I have installed it on two cars last year. The easy of bending alone made it worth while as I had some tricky areas to bend around.

It's strength properties are weaker than steel lines but I agree with 84Ford that it is negligible. I am sure it must meet some SAE standard for mechanical properties.

I have noticed a greenish color corrosion (typical of how copper corrodes) on the surface on the Nicoop lines in some places. I am not too concerned but I will keep an eye on it.

You never mentioned cost. How much did the Teflon coated, and Stainless steel lines cost relative to the conventional steel lines?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pretty sure mine are the PVT coated lines. They are a wierd dark shade of green adn the reg metal color.

Its hard to say what i got charged casue I had other things done at the saem time (exhaust work, powdercoated gas tank & install). But we pretty much agreed it would be between 5-600 for the new lines. Adn he said the SS lines would be about $100 cheapier than the new Tflon (PVT coated) lines. His quality of bends wasnt factory quality :( but its good enough to work, espically with the help of a few zipties to keep everythig nice and tight in place undertheir. I also wireloomed it all up, mainly for cosmectic reasons.

nbpt100 you say you got the nicoop lines at NAPA, could you tell me how they sell it. Such as a 15 foot lengths or something. And how much do they charge. (im guessing they sell it by the foot or maybe in 5 foot lengths) BUt whats most important to me is its long enough to run from the very front to the very rear of the car, without having to splice another line on.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It came in a 25 foot coil. The cost was around 45 dollars for 3/16 diameter. I recall it was about twice as much as the same amount in steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts