Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this happen to you or know of anyone that had it happen. I have lost overdrive. Car will not shift into 4th, otherwise the transmission is smooth and normal. My SES light came on and at first just disconnected the battery and took off and put back on the gas cap. This reset the computer. The next day which was the 4th drive cycle the light came back on. Went to Auto Zone and got it scanned, these codes came up PO761- Shift solenoid C and PO734 Gear 4 incorrect. After talking to my mechanic I took it into the shop thinking it was probably a corroded connector or something and it turned out to be an internal problem. This Tech Service Bulletin seems to cover my issue, but after taking the car to a couple places it doesn't seem to be real common. This bulletin says that a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place may be the cause.

The estimate I have gotten is $900 plus tax in addition to the $95 I spent on the diagnostic.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by viper@Sep 9 2004, 05:12 PM
I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this happen to you or know of anyone that had it happen. I have lost overdrive. Car will not shift into 4th, otherwise the transmission is smooth and normal. My SES light came on and at first just disconnected the battery and took off and put back on the gas cap. This reset the computer. The next day which was the 4th drive cycle the light came back on. Went to Auto Zone and got it scanned, these codes came up PO761- Shift solenoid C and PO734 Gear 4 incorrect. After talking to my mechanic I took it into the shop thinking it was probably a corroded connector or something and it turned out to be an internal problem. This Tech Service Bulletin seems to cover my issue, but after taking the car to a couple places it doesn't seem to be real common. This bulletin says that a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place may be the cause.

The estimate I have gotten is $900 plus tax in addition to the $95 I spent on the diagnostic.
$95 for diagnostic? From AutoZone? At Advanced Auto Parts, they'll let you use the thing for free.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
autozone and advanced here both do it for free

·
Registered
18 Posts
If there is a TSB on it, it's relatively common.
This is likely as common as the broken OD servo clip in the AXODE/AX4S.

Labor allowance is only 2.4hrs, so $900. is high.
The revised clip is F8DZ-7F194-AA. Apparently the square cutouts in the old clip design were the problem. This clip should be inspected and replaced (if old design) any time you access the valve body on a 1994-98 Taurus/Sable/Continental AX4N.

It sounds like you have a copy of the TSB, but if not and you want to repair this yourself I can send you the text.
You might want to also replace EPC, TCC, and shift solenoids while you're in there.

Russ
RCM Automotive
http://home.earthlink.net/~rcm_automotive/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts