Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I need to clean the throttle body and IAC motor of my '97 Sable Duratec. Living in Mexico makes it hard to get throttle body cleaner, but I can get Gunk carb cleaner. Is this acceptable? The TB has a label warning not to use carb cleaner, but I have read posts elsewhere where they mention there is no difference.

J

·
0 Posts
I've heard many people recommend using carb cleaner, so I think it's OK, but I'm no expert so I'll let somebody more knowledgeable say for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Some carb cleaners have harsh, abrasive chemicals in them that might screw up your injector o-rings or any other plastic or rubber parts it may encounter once you spray it into the engine. It's safer to just go with throttle body cleaner, but it's your car so it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Cleaning? Maybe we should ask n2_space... the resident neat freak.. though if you ask him, he'll probably tell you 1 part woolite, 3 parts water .... like everything else.

I heard people using gum out carb cleaner with success. If it were me, I'd actually get TB cleaner though.

-Dan

J

·
0 Posts
With what mike said, You might want to look for TB cleaner on ebay or something then... just a suggestion since you said it's hard to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts