Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus wagon 1994. When I turn on the heater, no hot air, I can adjust the speed of the blowing air. but even I turn the thermostat to the extreme right(hot), the temperature is still as same as the normal air. I went to a garage, the technician showed me that the both hoses for inlet and outlet are hot. Is that a problem of the thermostat, How can I fix it. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
What engine do you have? If its a 3.8L, you might have a head gasket problem. That is one of the signs.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If your heater core hoses are both hot, that means that the core is flowing fine. That also means that one of the remaining culprits is the blend door actuator. It's what mixes the hot and cold air, and the only known (to me) method of replacement is by removing the dashboard. The actuator sits on top of the heater box.

The other option could be the temperature knob itself. It's rare, but it's worth a shot, since we all know how much fun it is extracting a Taurus dash from the firewall. <_<

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If your heater core hoses are both hot, that means that the core is flowing fine. That also means that one of the remaining culprits is the blend door actuator. It's what mixes the hot and cold air, and the only known (to me) method of replacement is by removing the dashboard. The actuator sits on top of the heater box.
I would try that first before looking into head gaskets. Maybe a coolant flush would do the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you all.
The engine of the Taurus wagon is 3.0.
I tried to open the instrument panel finish applique and failed, I am a beginner of DIY, Would someone tell me how to do it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm gonna try to grab my parents digicam while I'm there for turkey today... IT'S CANADIAN TURKEY DAY!!!

Heh.

Anyways... I'll try to do a step by step on how to pull a dash and the instrument panel... best thing to use for the cluster panels is a flat screwdriver, very carefully...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Racer X or anyone can tell me how to remove the instrument panel and check the blend door or the thermostat. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
959 Posts
First thing you need to do is get a #30 torx head screw driver, and find all the torx bolt holding the dash on under and around the steering column. Pop the headlight knob off, undo the headlight actuator retainer nut (takes a 10mm socket, IIRC) and then undo any bolts holding the lower portion of the intrument cluster panel that were covered by the lower dash. Now take a flat screwdriver and carefully push it between the instrument panel trim and the dash, and slowly pry it out until the clip disengages. Repeat this around the entire top edge, and carefully ease the whole panel up and out slowly... the headlight actuator should pop loose and sit there. The heater and A/C controls should be visible all on there own at that point.

I haven't gotten any farther than that, so someone else will have to pick up the details from me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts