Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out some of the parts for my car yesterday, the new wheel is going back, blemishes in the chrome, scratches on the surface, it was a mess. as for the door. also a dissipointment, not in nearly as good of condition as my original door, so we'll see what happens with that. but just to see what the possibilities are, I need some info from anyone who knows. first think I noticed about my "new" door is that its not even from a taurus, its a G3 sable door. and also indicative of the JBL logos on the grill and the actual light on the lower corner, its from a 96. so complications of putting a 96 sable door on a 97 Taurus? of course the stereo is different, I have aftermarket speakers anyway, but teh tweeter would have to be changed to make it compatible. I think that the in-line filters come after the connector for that tweeter, I hope so, since the JBL and the Mach stereo have different filters on the tweeters and door speakers, so that will have to be changed as well. what about the electrical connectors? obviously there is at least one additional conducter for that curtousy light in the door, will the connectors fit? hopefully there will just be an unused pin in the sable door. they sure look from a structural stand point as if they are the same, the inner door panel will of course need to be replaced with my original. is there any other differences between the Taurus and Sable doors? the side stripping and weather stripping will have to be changed as well, since they have those chrome inserts in them, mine are black. I found some rust on it, so I am really dissipointed in this door, but like I said, I was just wondering if it was even possible to use...
thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I don't think the mirrors on the Sable are the same as the mirrors on a Taurus. There is also a chrome strip around the door on the Sable. Umm...those are the only differences I can think of. If you don't like the door tell them to replace it with another one. Good luck

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If it were me, I would demand that the correct door be installed. You don't know what it could impact. Stuff like crash impact and water sealing could be an issue.

Take it back and make them do the job correctly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I may do just that. in fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to ask them to try again. only thing that worries me is that even though I was not impressed by the door at all, the body shop guy said that it was a grear door, looks much better than most used doors he gets. he even went as far as to say that it was in better condition than many aftermarket replacement doors (I higly doubt that) so it just leaves me wondering, if I refuse this one, where is that going to leave me? plus not that it does me much good, but I would stand to gain a JBL 5x7 and tweeter out of the deal. but something just doesn't feel right about this to me. I think I am going to talk to them about other options. they seem to be a really good body shop, I know they will take care of me. I just have to make sure to do my part also, I'm sure I will be far more picky about that kind of thing than most of their customers are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts