Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends sis got a new mustang a few days ago. Base model, nothing special. 194hp, 3.8 engine. Anyway, she let me drive it today to see what it felt like compared to the taurus(2000 ses 200hp 24v dohc) and I was actually quite suprised at the difference. I know the K&N filter and "dual exhausts" don't make THAT much of a difference but the difference was pretty big. the mustang felt way slower acceleration wise. Kinda stubborn compared to the duratech. Anyway, WHY is there a difference? Is it the fact that once Rear wheel drive and ones front wheel drive? Even with that, the mustang has a 3.8 engine vs a 3.0. I just wanna understand why the taurus can beat the mustang.
thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually, I drive both cars on a regular basis at work. I have always been impressed at how much performance the newer 3.8L 'stangs have.
can you explain how the car felt faster, quicker than the taurus. don't get me wrong, I love my duratech, but i gotta give the mustang its dues. maybe she got a bad one.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
OH GOD ITS DURATEC

*cries*

Anyway, different engines mated with different cars offer different speeds. The 3.8 is a torque monster, but not that good high up (those HP ratings look pretty good, though), so you're probably used to the rev-happiness of the DURATEC.

A real engine in that Mustang would probably be a whole other story (the V6 is fine...but...real engine meaning an engine worthy of a muscle car)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt say the stang felt faster, the taurus was faster. i think it does have something to do with torque. the taurus feels more zippy and ready to go while the mustang feels lazy like its doesnt really wanna go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The V6 Mustang was not meant to be a performance package, it was meant to sell to the person who was not concerned with power. The v6 Mustang comes with relatively light rearend gearing 3.27 I believe, stock for stock the Duratec Taurus is a little faster than a v6 1999 to present Mustang.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
5 speed V6's are mid/high 15's, so they are faster than Duratec's, but in automatic form it is a drivers race. From a roll the Duratec will probably be faster than the automatic, and will be a good race with a well driven 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I raced a v-6 Mustang last year and we were neck and neck the whole time until we hit 100 then I just let off. I think at that point he might have had his nose 2 feet in front of mine, but that's all. (I think it was a 2000 model)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've raced a V6 mustang before and I can say that I just barely nosed ahead of him and come 90mph, I pull even further. But I raced one with my G/F in the car (he was the only one in his car) and he pulled on me (stupid g/f!!!!!
) But I think that the newer V6 stangs are definately an improvement over the last V6. Now that they have the IMRC incorporated into it, It's more worthwhile. But my opinion about a V6 mustang still stands,
REAL MEN DON'T DRIVE V6 MUSTANGS!!!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The old version 3.8 Mustangs are a joke, in stock form at least. My '91 can easily take them.

The new ones are better, but it's a sports car people! It's like offering a Corvette with an I4 option

·
Registered
167 Posts
rRal men don't have always enough $ to buy V8. 193HP should be enough. 1/4 mile time for 'stang is lower cause '99+ mustang has 225lb/ft of torque and at low rpms.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by blackshine007@Mar 21 2004, 08:18 PM
REAL MEN DON'T DRIVE V6 MUSTANGS!!!
Actually, Ford markets the mustang towards women. I did a marketing analysis of the company and young women are whom the mustang is marketed.

-DC

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by blackshine007@Mar 21 2004, 08:18 PM
But I raced one with my G/F in the car (he was the only one in his car) and he pulled on me (stupid g/f!!!!!
)
Ya like them big girls, eh?

j/k

I know what you're talking about though. I got owned by a new 5spd v6 mustang because it was just him in his car, and I had two friends in my car, and they'll never let me forget it.

I got some revenge though. I raced another new v6 mustang (don't know if it was a 5spd or not) from about a 50mph roll, and was inching on him till we let off around 70 or 75(because of traffic). I had one passenger and so did he. When we started his bumper was at my front quarter panel and when we let off it was at either my rear door or rear quare panel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
lol my family has a 98 mustang 3.8 convertable. its um interesting to drive. much better handiling then my 92 but about the same power to me it seems. but lol they arnt made ot be fast. 99% of v6 ustangs are owned my women. i.e my mom). my dad usuly drives the cobra. but lol i like all of them

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by 88taurusdude@Mar 21 2004, 10:41 PM
lol my family has a 98 mustang 3.8 convertable. its um interesting to drive. much better handiling then my 92 but about the same power to me it seems. but lol they arnt made ot be fast. 99% of v6 ustangs are owned my women. i.e my mom). my dad usuly drives the cobra. but lol i like all of them
The 99's got the split-port engine that everybody here is talking about. Supposed to be a big improvement over the previous v6 mustang motor.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yes, in '99 the PI heads were put on the Essex, and it really did help. With shorter gears, the V-6 Mustang is quite quick, and will easily leave a stock Duratec behind. The displacement helps a lot, especially at higher speeds.

Even so, the 4.0 SOHC motor will be a MUCH better base V-6 motor in the new Musatng. No Duratec is going to hang with the 2005 V-6 Mustang, not even Venom. Sorry man.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unless it says GT, 5.0, or was made in the late 60's, It's not a real Mustang!!!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
is the stang 3.8 base off the 3.8 essex?

·
Registered
411 Posts
V-6 and Mustang were never intended to belong in the same sentence. The V-6 Mustangs are geared toward entry level drivers or women.

BOSS 302..... Now that was a Mustang.......

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by RocketFast321@Mar 23 2004, 03:20 PM
is the stang 3.8 base off the 3.8 essex?
It IS a 3.8 Essex motor. Different bellhousing though since the car is rear-drive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts