Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I think about it, and now that I have been making a mental note, I've been seeing many more Lincoln MKS's on the road, (both in Florida and in NYS), than the latest generation Taurus.

The MKS was introduced the same time as the latest generation Taurus, but now, I see so many MKS's, and so few Taurus'. Back in January, I checked out both cars at Roswell (NM) Ford/Lincoln plus I checked out the MKS in Central Florida before I purchased my Taurus, plus at a Ford/Lincoln dealer in the Rochester NY area. I found that car for car, trim for trim, the MKS lists for about $10k more than the Taurus. (Loaded Twin Turbo MKS about $55k vs the Loaded Twin Turbo SHO at $44k).

Also see a lot of the MKZ's, but am not impressed with the MKZ. Don't know exactly what they list for, but from memory, they list about the same as the Taurus, or perhaps slightly more. I had a 2007 MKZ AWD, and the latest generation MKZ is just a slightly updated facelifted version. In addition, I believe the latest generation MKZ uses the AWF21 (Aisin) Transmission which I never liked, whereas the Latest generation MKS and Taurus used the Ford 6F50 or 6F55 Transmission. A much superior transmission IMHO. Note that the MKZ is a more expensive Fusion, and the MKS is a more expensive Taurus.

Note that the non-turbo MKS uses a 3.7 liter engine, while the MKZ and the non-turbo Taurus use the 3.5 liter engine. The Twin Turbo MKS amd the Twin Turbo Taurus SHO use the direct injection (twin turbo) 3.5 liter engine.

Why Lincoln decided to give their cars "Letter" names is beyond me. It just confuses customers. MKS, MKZ, MKT, MKWhatever. I just like names for cars, not "Letters" or "Numbers". (Love our Continental - third one we've owned- two 98's and this 02).

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I actually see so few MKS in real life that I question their existence.

As for the nomenclature, they just wanted to be like all the other luxury brands where the make is more important for brand recognition than the model. It's a marketing thing. There is more prestige in saying "I drive a Lexus/Acura/Cadillac/Mercedes" than saying "I drive a ES300/Integra/Cimarron/Sprinter". Not sure when Lincoln will shed the image of an upscale Buick with this trick, but it worked for Cadillac.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts