Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast are these things? My friend has a 1.8T 5 speed. I have the GL with only 145HP. I know for sure mine is slower but how much would it take to have to beat his car? I thought I saw they only had 170HP

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Street racing discussion is not allowed.

*edit*
Thread reopened; OP states that any racing will be at a a track.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of times do the 1.8T's run at the track anyways? I know stock my taurus wont do nothin but I would love to do some stuff to it and beat him. Hes super cocky.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (Eric1987 @ May 24 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806502
What kind of times do the 1.8T's run at the track anyways? I know stock my taurus wont do nothin but I would love to do some stuff to it and beat him. Hes super cocky.[/b]
Not to offend, but you sound a touch cocky yourself. What year is the A4? Google is your friend for most specs.

The easiest way to improve your 1/4 mile times is gearing. RWD, you just swap out the rear diff. gears for a higher ratio. FWD? $$$$$

The best thing to do is get a transgo shift kit and the 3.98 final drive IIRC out of a windstar. Our engines weren't designed for racing, and our transmissions are even worse. Ask any member here that races their taurus; they don't like coming out of the hole.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have a 2000 A4 2.8 Quatto and a 2000 Vulcan. When the vulcan is just about out of breath in RPM's, the Audi is just hitting it's stride. The Audi is much more connected to the road also. Both cars have their place, but the Audi wins in terms of perfromance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 24 2010, 01:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806515
I have a 2000 A4 2.8 Quatto and a 2000 Vulcan. When the vulcan is just about out of breath in RPM's, the Audi is just hitting it's stride. The Audi is much more connected to the road also. Both cars have their place, but the Audi wins in terms of perfromance.[/b]
That's a 2.8, and an unmodified vulcan. There's a member here that puts down 146 to the wheels with a flex-fuel vulcan, and the guy from rogueperformance.com got 316 to the wheels in his vulcan-powered ranger. If you have the drive, so can your vulcan. Stock? A4 > Taurus

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I've never raced one, but I'm pretty sure a 1.8T A4 would dust me. From a 2nd/3rd gear pull, it might be close (when my car's fatass has momentum built up already).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been doing some research and they apparently only have 170HP and they weigh 3400lbs. They have less torque than a stock vulcan. I know I wouldnt beat him with my car stock. Can you link me to the shift kit? Also a stall converter? And what kind of gearing do we have? I'd assume somethin wack. 3.98's would improve our acceleration pretty good I'd imagine.

EDIT: Its a 2004 A4.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Gen 3 and 4 vulcans have a 3.77 final drive.

Is the a4 auto or stick?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you had a 98+ Duratec, I would say you could easily win, but with the vulcan... eh not so much.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I realize that I have a 2.8, however the 2 cars are not that different in perfromance. The 1.8 is preferable if you want to increase power because you can modify the boost easily. I was just giving a relative starting point for each. If you throw enough money at anything you can win!!!!! My guess would be that a Duratec would win by a small amount-largely because the AWD saps some power. Throw in some corners with stock cars and the Audi would probably win. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My understanding(from reading these forums) is that it is difficult(ie expensive) to make substantial power gains with a Vulcan, and that the Trans-Go kit is more for improving reliability than significant performance. The link shows the kit for an AX4N-I assume that's what you have. A high stall converter has fewer gains on a motor with a low peak torque RPM (Vulcan) than one with a higher torque peak(Duratec, SHO,etc.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A stall works just like dumping the clutch on a manual though. And I know about the minimal increases in Vulcans but I am determined to make it a peppy car.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes and no. When you dump the clutch on a manual it starts off in the engines powerband, but eventually locks(or you toast the clutch and go nowhere) so you stay in the powerband. When a converter slips, it never locks and you go past the powerband and lose the energy to heat. That's why "torque motors" use low stall converters and drag race motors use high stall. The engine is matched to the torque converter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 24 2010, 07:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806610
Yes and no. When you dump the clutch on a manual it starts off in the engines powerband, but eventually locks(or you toast the clutch and go nowhere) so you stay in the powerband. When a converter slips, it never locks and you go past the powerband and lose the energy to heat. That's why "torque motors" use low stall converters and drag race motors use high stall. The engine is matched to the torque converter.[/b]
Well if I got a 2500RPM stall and shift kit for harder faster shifts I'd definitely notice an increase in speed. I wish the Taurus was RWD that would be sick. And when you dump the clutch it depends on where you dump it. On my old Honda Prelude I had I dumped the clutch at 2 grand. It certainly was better off than just taking off with no dump like the tranny is doing now.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
why not find out for yourself?

Just go to your local dragstrip on cruise night/grudge match night/street wars night and race both cars.

Numbers/hp/trq/power to weight is all well and good, but you'd be surprised at how much of it depends on driver skill. I've seen plenty a slow car beat many a faster car in the 1/8 mile simply because the driver of the slower car had more skill. Plus an automatic is easier to launch then a stick shift.

*edit*

for the record, I've seen quite a few gen 4 vulcan powered bull's run at my local drag strip. They usually run 11.10-11.5 sec's in the 1/8 mile. Can't really say for a 1.8T A4 simply due to the fact that there isn't that many of them still around by me. You can thank the northeast's love of salt in the winter for that.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That is the nice thing about a manual-you control it. If you go with the higher stall, add a transmission cooler to get rid of the extra heat. Maybe I'll have more suggestions after I rebuild my AX4S...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Your best bed would be to puncture two of his tires.

He might still beat you if you only puncture one.

Just sayin.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (newbiestyle @ May 24 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806616
why not find out for yourself?

Just go to your local dragstrip on cruise night/grudge match night/street wars night and race both cars.

Numbers/hp/trq/power to weight is all well and good, but you'd be surprised at how much of it depends on driver skill. I've seen plenty a slow car beat many a faster car in the 1/8 mile simply because the driver of the slower car had more skill. Plus an automatic is easier to launch then a stick shift.

*edit*

for the record, I've seen quite a few gen 4 vulcan powered bull's run at my local drag strip. They usually run 11.10-11.5 sec's in the 1/8 mile. Can't really say for a 1.8T A4 simply due to the fact that there isn't that many of them still around by me. You can thank the northeast's love of salt in the winter for that.[/b]
The track next to me is a 1/4 track. After I Get some mods I'll run it and see what I can get. I know 15's is far fetched. Is there any available tuning to be done to vulcans?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts