Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 taurus 3.0 12 valve, transmission was working fine until yesterday.

P, D, 3, 2: acts like normal D, moves forward but no switching gears (only P is different since transmission is locked and can't move). Strange, but in N and P engine won't rev over ~2000rpm, same as if I would rev it in D while applying full brakes to keep the car stopped.

R : acts like regular N

OBD2 codes: Shift solenoid A stuck or low performance, same for solenoid B and C.

fluid: regular color, regular smell, normal level

any ideas what it might be? I am guessing it is something related to electronic/valve body part, which is worth fixing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Most likely culprit would be one of those solenoids. Had a Focus here, wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd. Replaced A solenoid and all was well. That was 7 years ago. Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that if the millage on the car isn't over 300,000 mile or anything like that it would be worth it for you to fix the car. As far as the solenoids that very well could be your problem. A failed solenoid or two or a bad epc solenoid can bring a transmission to a grinding stop. The solenoids really are easy to replace once you actually get to the valve-body. of the transmission. The solenoids run anywhere between $60-$100 new. Or you could get a used solenoid pack on ebay that has been tested and are guaranteed to work for cheep. I would swap out the solenoids and change the fluid. You could also just remove the valve body entirely and rebuild that while leaving the transmission in the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys have an electric diagram for those solenoids, just to make sure there is no electrical fault before I open trans.

also: what is the way to test the solenoids, to make sure they are indeed faulty? kinda suspicious I get codes for all 3. how could they suddenly fail at the same time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found the diagram, looks like they are hooked to PCM using purple/orange, orange/yellow and pink/black wires. but what is the impedance of a working solendoid?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey, I had some time to look into this. first thing i thought was to check harness, then try replace PCM.

but the hayness book has diagram where the PCM wires going to PCM are listed only by color codes, not by pin number. over 100 wires there, hard to find and match by color only, so I need to see if you guys have better diagram or knowledge which are the pins on the 100+ plug that control the shift solenoids... should be no more than 5 or 6.

thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

awesome resource! thanks so much.

wires not shorted and continuity checked.

I will try replace PCM see what happens.

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The 2000 rpm hunt in P and N is an RPM limiter.
No power transfer in all forward gears, and R is likely a pump, pump shaft or torque converter spline failure.
Check the fluid level after it sits over night. (It should be above the full mark). Check it again after running through the gears. If the fluid level remains high, the fluid pump isn't working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1998 taurus 3.0 12 valve, transmission was working fine until yesterday.

P, D, 3, 2: acts like normal D, moves forward but no switching gears (only P is different since transmission is locked and can't move). Strange, but in N and P engine won't rev over ~2000rpm, same as if I would rev it in D while applying full brakes to keep the car stopped.

R : acts like regular N

OBD2 codes: Shift solenoid A stuck or low performance, same for solenoid B and C.

fluid: regular color, regular smell, normal level

any ideas what it might be? I am guessing it is something related to electronic/valve body part, which is worth fixing.

Thanks!
if R acts like N you should check your shift linkage, it likely clould have slipped, i had a friend that came across a problem like this though, (although it was a kia) it turned out his tranny was shot, it started out like yours and progressiely got worse, it does sound like a solenoid in the vale body 1996-1999 was around the time they were getting sub standard aluminum parts, and the solenoids would get burred up in the valve body causing havoc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 2000 rpm hunt in P and N is an RPM limiter.
No power transfer in all forward gears, and R is likely a pump, pump shaft or torque converter spline failure.
Check the fluid level after it sits over night. (It should be above the full mark). Check it again after running through the gears. If the fluid level remains high, the fluid pump isn't working.

should be 4000 rpm for the limiter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
shapeshifter
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing